scans

• 15 January 2016
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 2
i have internet security v 9.0.0.62. is there any way to limit my scans to specific folders? presently, the sacn encompasses 722K files over 12.5 hours! that's too long!

also, is there a users guide?

thanks.

G

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello

?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Thisd is way to long to only scan 722K in 12.5 hours. Something is not right here. Would you please do a uninstall/reinstall of Webroot.

Please follow the steps closely! This is for a PC not a Mac.

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Here is the PC User Guide.

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Is this on a PC or Mac? ?  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/Mac-Agent-Release-Notes-For-Version-9-0-0-62/td-p/235759

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Daniel I was just wondering the same thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your the Mac expert. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well I certainly messed this one up. Not thinking clearly today! I was just looking that up and besides it never takes a PC to scan that long so that was a a given as well.  Oops!
Userlevel 2
i'm sorry, i neglected to mention that i am on a mac running os 10.11.2.
Userlevel 2
i'm sorry, i neglected to mention that i am on a mac running os 10.11.2. i uploaded the WR update AFTER my 12.5 hours scan. is this glitch fixed in the update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
?

Please look here at the Mac PC User Guide http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/553/Changing-Scan-Settings

Would you uncheck mounted drives and also are you running Time Machine?

http://d3hj48gy07tbjf.cloudfront.net/LIVEIMGS/00-F-consumer/macagent/scansettingspanelfeb.png
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's best if ? or ? help you I'm not Mac savvy.

Daniel :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
i'm sorry, i neglected to mention that i am on a mac running os 10.11.2. i uploaded the WR update AFTER my 12.5 hours scan. is this glitch fixed in the update?
No this isn't a glitch that I have experienced on my Mac running Webroot as well..  Have you checked your scan settings?
Userlevel 2
Hi Sherry,

In mypreferences, I have already chosen "Scan for Windows threats" and "Full scan." Nothing else is checked. I learned to exclude mounted drives the hard way, when the scan was taking FOREVER! with the drives included, even more than the frustrating 12.5 hours it takes now.

Should I select the archives option?

Yes, I do run TM.

Thanks,

Gregg
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi!

I have the Archives selected by default. Would you want to do a uninstall/clean reinstall of Webroot? Because my scan only takes at the MOST is 1 hr.30 mins. But I also have a older Mac (2007) and if you have a newer Mac then these scans will be faster.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Sherry,

In mypreferences, I have already chosen "Scan for Windows threats" and "Full scan." Nothing else is checked. I learned to exclude mounted drives the hard way, when the scan was taking FOREVER! with the drives included, even more than the frustrating 12.5 hours it takes now.

Should I select the archives option?

Yes, I do run TM.

Thanks,

Gregg
Gregg, 
Can you provide me with a little more information.  Is this a Macbook or Imac?  What is your ram size and CPU? How many files total are being scanned on each scan?  Do you have a Timemachine backup running ( i know you have scan mounted drives off, however OS X stores the files locally as well)? Do you have a large icloud, dropbox or other cloud type storage system in use?
Regards,

Userlevel 2
Hi Devin,

Here is my Mini info:

Model Name:    Mac mini (mid 2011)
Model Identifier:    Macmini5,1
Processor Name:    Intel Core i5
Processor Speed:    2.3 GHz
Number of Processors:    1
Total Number of Cores:    2
L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
L3 Cache:    3 MB
Memory:    8 GB
Boot ROM Version:    MM51.0077.B14
SMC Version (system):    1.76f0

My internal drive has approx 131.9 G. I use approx 1.2 G on iCloud. I use Google Drive, which I don't think adds anything to my Mini. My scan is checking about 722000 files

I have TM running about every hour. It stores files on my int drive also?

Thanks.

Gregg

Userlevel 7
Do you have it set to sleep when you are not on it?  
Userlevel 2
Yes.

I have WR to run scans every night at 1 am and Optimization every Su at midnight.
Userlevel 7
change your settings so that the computer doesnt go to sleep, you can let the monitor but keep the rest running. This will give you a realistic time for the scan.  Webroot will not scan while the machine is asleep but it will keep the timer going. 
Userlevel 2
Computer never; monitor ok. Right?

What about hard disk? "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Gregg,

Devin has gone offline..but I have my Hard diske set to Put hard disks to sleep when possible. But I do put mine to sleep when I am not running iit.

My Scan time was an 1hr and 14 minutes.

Userlevel 2
Hi Sherry,

So, if I have this right, you don't put your computer to sleep when you are running a scan but then, after the scan, you do? Does this mean that you do manual scans, not scheduled ones? I schedule my scans for 1 am daily. I guess that I can go into System Prefs>Energy Saver and keep the Computer sleep at 1 hr as you do, and schedule the computer to wake at 12:45 and sleep at 3 am (to be safe). Do you think that'd work?

Is there a user guide for Macs?

Thanks again for helping me out.

Gregg
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Gregg,

Here is a link to all the users guides: http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?pid=2&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=861

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Sherry,

So, if I have this right, you don't put your computer to sleep when you are running a scan but then, after the scan, you do? Does this mean that you do manual scans, not scheduled ones? I schedule my scans for 1 am daily. I guess that I can go into System Prefs>Energy Saver and keep the Computer sleep at 1 hr as you do, and schedule the computer to wake at 12:45 and sleep at 3 am (to be safe). Do you think that'd work?

Is there a user guide for Macs?

Thanks again for helping me out.

Gregg
Gregg, 
I like to leave my computer awake all the time and let the monitor sleep, this of course is a personal setting.  However, if you have WSA set to scan while the computer goes to sleep then you will have very long scan times.  I would say based on your system and the files that you have that your scans should run closer to an hour. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Gregg,

You are so welcome. Sorry I've been offline this morning pretty much and didn't get your messages until now.

Have you got things sorted and do you understand what Devin has explained to you?

Userlevel 2
Hi Sherry,

Yes, I think that I have it now. My scan is about 2 hours for my 722K files.

Thanks for your help.

Gregg
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Gregg!

You are so welcome. At least 2 hrs sounds better then 12 hrs. ;)

Have a nice evening and we are always here to help!