Solved

Second anti virus?

• 15 February 2012
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Just curious, does anyone run a second anti virus for a double layer of protection?

Tom:cathappy:
icon

Best answer by HowardR 15 February 2012, 22:32

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Just curious, does anyone run a second anti virus for a double layer of protection?

Tom:cathappy:
Yes some do as you said for a layered approach! But I would recommend Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Pro as it's a one time payment or a free AV such as Avast free or Microsoft Security Essentials but it is upto the user I myself just use WSA as I'm a safe surfer and don't click on unknown files!!

HTH,

TH

Edit: I forgot to Welcome you to the Webroot community forums! Welcome!
Userlevel 7
Hi Tom I run and have done for a long time both WRSAE (& Prevvx3 before that) with KIS (currently 2012) and they play very well together IMHO. In fact if I recall correctly coexistence was Prevx's philosophy re. their original product, that has since evolved into WRSAE following Webroot's purchase of Prevx. So I assume that this philosophy has has effectively transferred too. Just my view & conjecture. Cheers Balders
Userlevel 4
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Webroot Community !

While SecureAnywhere provides complete protection against threats by itself, it was also designed using the same approach that Prevx used to ensure compatability with other 3rd party security products. and Webroot performs extensive QA testing to ensure this compatability.  The bottom line is that SecureAnywhere will keep you protected and if you want to use the layered approach and use other security software alongside SecureAnywhere, you should not experience any conflicts.

Thanks !

Howard
I use WRSAW and I also use Stopzilla Anti Virus as well. A couple days ago, Stopzilla caught and quarantined a rootkit trying to invade my computer. I have a Microsoft Tech service which goes through my computer to analyze threats and they like that I have Webroot on my computer, so I'm a happy camper.
Userlevel 2
Hey all
Thanks for the welcome:cathappy:...I have an ancien't computer with only a pentium 4 2.66 ghz cpu and XP...
I got secureantwhere because kaspersky tended to slow my pc ..And the same with Vipre.

Tom
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I use WRSAW and I also use Stopzilla Anti Virus as well. A couple days ago, Stopzilla caught and quarantined a rootkit trying to invade my computer. I have a Microsoft Tech service which goes through my computer to analyze threats and they like that I have Webroot on my computer, so I'm a happy camper.
Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! And if your a happy camper so are we!

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hey all
Thanks for the welcome:cathappy:...I have an ancien't computer with only a pentium 4 2.66 ghz cpu and XP...
I got secureantwhere because kaspersky tended to slow my pc ..And the same with Vipre.

Tom
Just use WSA and use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Free to do weekly On-Demand scans! IMO

TH

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Yep!

Malwarebytes
Userlevel 3
I, too, use Malwarebytes Pro along side WSAC. They are the perfect combination and I have never felt more secure with my web browsing and my personal info. They are both constantly updating and evolving to keep up with the many massive threats out there on the internet. I am a "safe browser" as well, but the knowledge that I have that added layer of protection should I stumble upon an infected website is just added piece of mind.
Userlevel 2
Is malware bytes Pro light on resources?..i have an old Pentium 4 2.66 ghz 1GB of ram computer with XP
Userlevel 3
I'm by no means an expert, but that sounds like you should be able to run it okay. My best suggestion is to go to Cnet.com and download the freeware version and see if you can run it w/o any trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Is malware bytes Pro light on resources?..i have an old Pentium 4 2.66 ghz 1GB of ram computer with XP
It should run fine on that system it uses about 30MB of ram with the protection module is enabled in the pro version.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Currently using Webroot SA Complete (installed this week) along with current version (4) of Microsoft Security Essentials (my prior antivirus). No issues so far.

Now if I can only figure out the conflict, prior to getting Webroot SA, Malwarebytes Pro's real-time protection has with my Win 7 Acer Travelmate laptop I can probably remove MS Security Essentials.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Since v8.0.1.173 WSA has improved compatibly with MBAM - "Substantially improved MBAM's scan speeds when WSA is installed" so I would give it a try again with the latest v8.0.1.184 and let us know if it's better?

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hi TH

Run MBAM as on demand scanner and can confirm that I am seeing scan speed improvements...which is excellent/great news for us all. 😃