Solved

Securing Web Folder SkyDrive

• 19 March 2013
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello, 

On a Win 8 PC, I have a "live" SkyDrive folder (i.e. a commond Windows folder always connectet to the Cloud - SkyDrive in that case).

What is the best way (except deconnection) to secure the folder with WSA ?

I've tought about entering a "protected URL" just like for critical websites access, but as a folde there's no real URL

The same with MS OneNote which is permanently connected too.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by JimM 19 March 2013, 18:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
One of the best things about WSA is how it scans automatically when a file is written to your computer.  That's part of the real-time protection it offers.  So when you're dealing with cloud storage like this, the way WSA is protecting your computer is that if something malicious exists in the cloud storage, it will pick it up when that content is replicated onto your computer.  Let's say you try to download it, or it downloads itself automatically when syncing.  WSA picks it up before you even run it.  Then for good measure, it scans anything being run too.  So if the file was a threat that was not yet known when it was downloaded, and that determination changed prior to running the file, there is a second layer of protection in that second automatic check.

So in short, WSA protects your computer from anything malicious that may show up via the cloud storage.  While WSA is not securing the folder itself, per se, it is securing your computer from anything harmful that may originate from there.  To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a locally installed antivirus program that is capable of reaching out into cloud storage to scan the contents of what is being hosted in the cloud.

One way to be absolutely sure you never upload a threat to your cloud storage is to use Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete's "Backup & Sync" feature, rather than alternative storage methods.  Our "Backup & Sync" feature runs through WSA itself, so the integrity of the data being backed up is ensured.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Jim That's clear 🙂