Should I run Windows Defender in addition to Webroot Secure Anywhere?

• 9 October 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I keep getting a notification that Windows Defender and Webroot Secure Anywhere are turned off. I checked Webroot and it shows that everything is on. Is it necessary to run Windows Defender and Webroot Secure Anywhere at the same time?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello sharlea2348, and Welcome!

In reply to your main question about running both together, then that is not necessary since SecureAnywhere is a fully functional Antimalware/Antivirus to which Defender will add nothing at all.  What Operating System are you using? I'm guessing Windows 8?  
  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21967-windows-defender-protection-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/What-s-the-difference-between-the-new-Windows-Defender-and/ta-p/13852

If Defender is totally disabled, then reboot and see if Webroot is showing in Action Center, and if not a clean install may be advisable:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Let us know how it goes, or if you have questions. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for answering so quickly. I believe that Webroot is operating properly because it's made recent scans. I was just wondering why the notifications would suggest that it's not. I am using Windows 8.1 and will turn off Windows Defender and let Webroot continue on. I appreciate your instructions in the event I have to reboot Webroot. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Just to add on Win 8.1 when any other AV is installed Windows Defender is automatically turned off as in most cases to eliminate any conflicts with the other AV's but with WSA there are no conflicts with Windows Defender and I not saying to run both as WSA is more then anything Windows Defender can do IMHO. But there is a way turn on Windows Defender via a Registry Tweak to run with WSA so if you really want to run both and don't mind making changes to the registry I can post the instructions but at your own risk not Webroot's! Also if WSA does not show in Action Center I would do what Dermot has suggested and do a clean reinstall!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)