Should I turn off Windows 10 Firewall & Defender?

• 12 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Should I turn off Windows 10 Firewall & Defender?

I have been told that I should only 1 package at a time.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

WSA will co-exist very nicely with Windows Defender (that is the way that WSA has been designed from the outset).

Having said that WSA provides much, much better protection than Windows Defender and therefore there is no real point in running both. All that Windows Defender does is to add some drag to your system' s resources.

Please look here if you are comfortable using the registry. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-D...

Yes you should run Windows 10 Firewall and no you shouldn't turn it off. ? do you have anymore information to add here? Here what was said in another thread about Windows 10 Firewall '

The firewall portion of WSA does not run under Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10.  This is because Microsoft has built those OS's to not allow 3rd party firewalls to actually do anything, the built in Windows Firewall handles all of it.  There is no need to enable the WSA Firewall on those operating systems, nor can it be done.

Hope this helps
Userlevel 7
Hi marklasby,

Welcome to the Webroot Community

If I may precise what is meant by "The firewall portion of WSA does not run under Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10."?  The WSA Firewall component does still run when WSA is running under these later versions of Windows, unless you manually switch off which you should not.

The confusion arises from the fact that under these later versions of Windows one does not have access to the granular tailoring of outbound accesses from within WSA, which is due to the way and level at which WS interacts with the Windows Firewall.

For more detail on the subject please see this response from Webroot Support on the subject, and rest assured that you are well protected by both WSA & the Windows Firewall.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

page whicbut only to supplement the built in Windows Firewall