Something wants to download itself and restart my computer, but doesn't identify what it is.

• 20 November 2014
  • 2 replies

It doesn't identify itself, except a yellow shield.  I postpond it but needed to check with the experts (you).
Thanks.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
It doesn't identify itself, except a yellow shield.  I postpond it but needed to check with the experts (you).
Thanks.
Hello suzycoy,

Welcome to the Community,

The yellow shield over the shut down button means that windows has updates ready to install,.

The yellow shield is there to let you know that windows will install the updates when you shut down your system, so that it's updated ready for next time you start it.

Can you tell us what Windows Operating system you have? Can you put your mouse curor over the yellow shield to see what it telling you? Is it in your system tray in the right hand corner?

@ can you add to this?

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Good morning!

I think most likely Sherry is correct, but you can verify this quite easily by MANUALLY updating Windows.

Click Start
Click All Programs
Click Windows Update

Select for install all updates that are marked as being critical.  I suggest you also mark those that are Reccomended.  Items marked Optional can be de-selected and ignored for our current purposes most likely.

Many Windows updates DO require a reboot of the computer.

After you have updated Windows manually, if the message is still being shown, let us know!