System optimizer deleted Microsoft Office including all of my files along with all photos from mac

Userlevel 1
Please help! I recently installed the Webroot software on my mac. I was playing around with it since I had never used it before. I think I clicked somthing in the system optimizer screen to cause all of my documents, all of microsoft office (program and files) and photos to disappear. Please tell me these are recoverable.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Our Mac's experts will be happy to answer your question! ? ?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello medicashley

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am sorry to hear about your issues.

I have  Mac running WSA Complete and i have System Optimizer. I don't believe that System Optimizer would delete your Files and Photos and/or Documents. Please have a look here at the Mac User Guide  When using System Optimizer it states that these items are not recoverable. It states it only clears caches and temporary folders.

Have you checked your Trash bin perhaps?

I would  Submit a Support Ticket and they can look int this for you. This is a free service with a Webroot license.

Hope you this helps somewhat?
Userlevel 1
Thank you for replying.
I have submitted a support ticket and got the same exact reply that you have listed. I checked my trash bin and quarantine files. Nothing there. Microsoft office is completely deleted as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi medicashley,

That's so odd because I use Microsoft Office and none of my files are deleted nor the program.

Maybe ? (Which TripleHelix has pinged him) who is our Threat Reseacher might have some information on recovery programs for the Mac and what not.

Have you checked the Finder for All Files?

I am so sorry that I cannot offer more help. 😞
Userlevel 1
I did. Nothing is there 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well lets wait to hear from Wanderingbug and he should be in tomorrow sometime. He might have more options for you.
Userlevel 1
Okay. Thanks much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Your welcome medicashley.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi again medicashley.

Have you done a search in Spotlight? Please look here for information. http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/spotlight-search-tips-os-x-el-capitan-yosemite-3531280/
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Please help! I recently installed the Webroot software on my mac. I was playing around with it since I had never used it before. I think I clicked somthing in the system optimizer screen to cause all of my documents, all of microsoft office (program and files) and photos to disappear. Please tell me these are recoverable.
The system optimizer is a very serious feature in our program, if you happen to tell it to erase the files in a certain directory then those files are not recoverable.  This is why it give you a second prompt asking if you are sure that you want to run it.  I am really sorry if this has caused you to lose your documents, I hope that you have them stored on a backup somewhere.
Regards,

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi medicashley,

That's so odd because I use Microsoft Office and none of my files are deleted nor the program.

Maybe @ (Which TripleHelix has pinged him) who is our Threat Reseacher might have some information on recovery programs for the Mac and what not.

I am so sorry that I cannot offer more help. :(
System Optimizer gives you the ability to chose what directory you want to delete, which is probably what happen here.  This allows admins/users the ability to kill certain directories and ensure that it is completely removed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi medicashley,

Maybe @ (Which TripleHelix has pinged him) who is our Threat Reseacher might have some information on recovery programs for the Mac and what not.

I am so sorry that I cannot offer more help. :(
System Optimizer gives you the ability to chose what directory you want to delete, which is probably what happen here.  This allows admins/users the ability to kill certain directories and ensure that it is completely removed.
Thank you Devin. That makes sense. Appreciated the feedback. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't expect that it would wipe everthing including all of microsoft office. Had I known, I would have never installed this software. Worst mistake ever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
So sorry to have this happen to you...

I know you don't want to hear it but without Webroot and the viruses that are out here... I do not think you would want to crash or loose your Mac to these threats. You could loose everything! Macs are under attack and we do need protection.

We need to have a backup of our OS because viruses can do more harm then you can imagine. Webroot will protect you but nothing is 100% and that's why it is so important to backup to an external device.

Again I feel for you in this situation.

Userlevel 7
Medicashley,
I am very sorry that this has happen to you.  By default the system optimizer only removes files that are system related or trash. 

The only other way that personal files would be removed is if "Delete Files Securely" was selected and then a folder was selected, a prompt will then ask if you are sure if you want to remove these files.