thread in time machine backuo

• 19 December 2014
  • 7 replies

Hi mi webroot icon in the upper tray of my macbookpro keeps the exclamation mark because the system cant get rid of some threads apparently in my time machine backup. What to do?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello mwuyten,

Welcome to the Community!

Can you tell me the names of these threats?

Please issue a Support Ticket and see if they can help you with your Time Machine Threats, Beings as it's a external drive, I'm not sure how that works or if it has to be formated.

Or if @ is available to assist with these threats or issue since he is a Mac expert!

Regards,

Thanks Sherry. The threats all start with /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups/backups.backupdb/iMac ...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks Sherry. The threats all start with /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups/backups.backupdb/iMac ...
Hello mwuyten,

Thank you for that information.

Please issue that support ticket ASAP and I'm hoping @ will be available today or if not the Support Team can check your system out  for you and hopefully we can have you up and running good again, like a Mac should!;)

I really appreciate your patience in this matter!

Hang in there and we will get this resolved!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hey Sherry!

Sorry i was on a long weekend.

In some cases, Webroot will detect a threat that is located on your backup, such as Time Machine. If the file are in the backup, then they cannot hurt your system. You would have to restore the files from the backup to get them on the system, and at that point the Real Time Shield in Webroot would find and remove them. Even though Webroot cannot remove these files, as space for newer backups is needed the older backups will be deleted. This will delete the threats from the backup as well.

We recommend if Webroot continues to detect these files that you uncheck the box next to them on the removal page. This will tell Webroot to ignore the files in their current location.

If you would like to remove these files manually from the backup in Time Machine, you can use the following steps:

Note: This action is permanent, and will impact all past backups on the given Time Machine drive, even backups from the distant archives on that drive. For this reason, be absolutely certain you want to remove an item before deleting it, otherwise you may end up missing data you would have wanted to keep.

1. Open the backup manager by pulling down Time Machine menu item and selecting, “Enter into Time Machine.”
2. Navigate to the directory location of the files/folders you want to remove.
3. Right-click on the folder or file you want to remove and select “Delete all backups of [File Name].”
4. Confirm the removal.

As the process is the same whether you are deleting the backup of a file or an entire folder, please be careful to only select the items you wish to delete. You cannot recover these files.

Another option available to Time Machine users is to exclude the files and folders from being backed up by the Time Machine. You can add them to the exclusion list which will permanently block the files/folders from being backed up in the future. By doing this, the infected file will eventually be deleted from the backup over time and prevent it from ever getting re-introduced to the drive should it be installed on the computer again.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @ ,

This is very valuable information that I needed to know as well.

I have the Time Machine backed up and was wondering how to scan my Time Machine and files.  I wasn't sure how I could explain to the OP how to do perform this procedure.

Thank you very much for all this wonderful information and for your time. This will work great knowing this can be done without formating the external drive (Time Machine), I just started using the Time Machine 5 months ago so I understand how it works better now so that I can help Mac users. This information will be in my archives.;)

Thanks again Devin,

Best Regards,

Hi Wanderingbug

We've got a customer which only uses mac devices. Each of this device makes it's own backup with time machine.

And everytime this happens, webroot gives out some alerts. Can I somehow whitelist the path to timebackup so that webroot exclude it on every device in the organization?

Kind regards,
Sven
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Sven,

Wanderingbug is no longer with us. Sorry to say...

I do believe you need to post this in the Business Forum and you can create a Support Ticket here.https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp. To ask about whitelisting ....and to post in the Business Forum please go here.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Business/bd-p/ent5.

Hope this helps?