Trouble with product

• 15 September 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
I bought a Macbook Pro (Retina 15") from Best Buy at the end of February 2016 and Best Buy installed Webroot SecureAnywhere.  I am using  El Capitan 10.11.6. and the Safari browser.  I set Webroot up with the secure pw feature.  

Sometime in April, I began to have a keyboard issue when filling in forms downloaded from the Internet  --  though I typed at normal speed, the letters appeared with about a 2 second gap between each one of them.  Working with Apple Care, all we could do to resolve the problem was turn Webroot off.

Weeks later, suddenly Webroot, Firefox, the Office for Mac applications and iTunes vanished from the computer when I was llying in bed one evening reading the news at google.com/news, my default web page.  All that I saw was the icons in my Dock with "questionmarks" in them.

After extensive work with Apple to try to resolve issues, including multiple reinstallations of the OS, Apple gave up and replaced the computer.  I might add that no fight on my part was required to have it do that  --  the Albuequerque Apple Store rep came out (nearest store, as I live in Santa Fe), told the young man signing me in to not do so, said he'd reviewed the case notes and then said "here's his new computer."

Apple's engineering group claimed it was impossible for portions of OS to be deleted, but concurred that that HAD happened, downloaded reams of data from the computer, and, to this date, hasn't gotten back to me with an explanation.

Yesterday I did a Webroot Security Report ("all clear"), ran the system optimizer and analyzer, and changed the time of day that my scan occurs.  I then sought to open Webroot to see what other utilities were available, only to find that the icon was no longer at the top of my screen and the following applications were gone:

Webroot
iTunes
iBooks
The Office for Mac ones
Firefox
HP printer software

I then had a 2+ hour online Geek Squad tech support session that included an attempt to reinstall Webroot.  The download would not be accepted for transfer to the applications folder and could not be removed by the tech support person despite many different kinds of attempts to get rid of it.  It was a file only 6KB in size!

The tech support person concluded the Webroot directory was corrupt and suggested I go to my local Best Buy and make an appointment to resolve the issue, as Best Buy had tools that could do it booting outside of OS.  However, the store wanted me to leave the computer for up to 5 days, which is a "dog that won't hunt" for me because I am an attorney and use the machine constantly every day w/o a backup machine.  So I talked with the Apple Genius Desk in Albuquerque (I live in Santa Fe, and that's the nearest Apple Store), who said I could make an appointment, but ought to check with Webroot Support first.  I had a call with them this morning, and after about 30 minutes they successfully removed the corrupted file.

I recovered iTunes from an update at the App Store, reinstalled the Office for Mac applications from the Microsoft site and the other applications except iBooks online.  Since I never use it, I'll simply wait until Apple does an update and restore it then.

After my tech support with Webroot, I got a follow up email saying in pertinent part the following:

"Just please be very careful with the system optimizer, only use the default settings on that. Also, please avoid or be EXTREMELY careful using the "Delete Files Securely" button under system optimizer tab in utilities. If you used the "Delete Files Securely" button for system optimizer, that could have been the cause of the issue you experienced where your important apps were erased."

To the best of my recollection, I used the default settings with optimizer and did not use "Delete Files Securely".  in any event, I find the final sentence amazing  --  Webroot appears to KNOW that if you elect to "Delete Files Securely" with the optimizer, which is only supposed to remove unnecessary files, IT MAY ERASE APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING PORTIONS OF OS, WHICH APPLE TELLS ME IS NOT POSSIBLE BUT AGAIN AGREES HAPPENED!

I am not a technical person at all.  But I am a practical person, and I think that if Webroot knows that use of "Delete Files Securely" with the optimizer may result in unintended and unwarranted erasure of applications, it ought to resolve that issue or HEAVILY PUBLICIZE IT.  After all, it is in the security business!

Throughout this recent episode, I've also had extensive conversations with a senior Apple Care advisor.  She has been in that role for 7 years and had never before encountered a situation where a portion of OS vanished.  She has obtained the case notes from the prior time this happened on the original machine and again is raising the issue with Apple engineering.

In any event, I am curious if anyone in the Community has encountered similar problems or has any comments or suggestions.  For the moment, I am not reinstalling Webroot because if problems reemerge, "shame on me!"  For me as an attorney, time is money  --  time = my inventory  --  and with the time I've wasted because of all of this over that past several months, I could have purchased 10 Macbook Pros and taken a vacation or two.

Thanks for any input.

TomC

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi TomC

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for sharing...and I have to say that whilst not an Apple user I have been around this Community since the early days and I can honestly say that I have never heard before of this or anything remotely like it happening as a result of using the System Optimizer. I run Windows and have securely deleted files found by the Optimizer, with ABSOLUTELY NO ill effects.

Admittedly, the Windows & Mac versions are very different under the covers but I find it strange that there should be such a difference, etc.

Personally, and no disrespect intended to any who are now mentioned, but I would not trust anyone other than Webroot Support to comment on this as we have had instances in the past of members coming hear having been advised by other companies (all reputable) that WSA was the root cause of their issues...and these ended up being groundless. That is not to say that this is not a case where WSA is the cause but I would not trust anyone else to investigate and advise on this.

As such I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket ASAP, include a link to this thread so you do not have to write all your information again, and then see what the Support Team come back with.

And please do keep us posted on what you/they conclude.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Thank you, Baldrick

I appreciate your comment about 3rd party opinions.  But the interesting thing here is that it is WEBROOT SUPPORT that emailed me following my tech support call warning me about what could happen using Securely Delete with System Optimizer.  It wasn't a 3rd party.  I definitely will post again with any further developments.

Tom
Userlevel 7
Hi TomC

Thanks for your reply. What you say is inteesting and I have to repeat that I have never heard of this. But thanks for keeping us posted on developments...it willbe inteersting to see what transpires.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Tom,

You said that you spoke with Webroot support on the phone. I was just wondering what number you called and where you got the number from? The reason I ask is that there are many links on the Internet that look like they're the actual Webroot support, but are, in fact, third party tech support providers, many of whom are shady.

For instance. If I Google "Webroot number" it returns the following result.

?

The top entry, the one you'd expect to Webroot, is actually NOT Webroot but a scammer.

Just a thought.

Thanks, BD
Userlevel 2
Hi, BurnDaddy

I went to webroot.com.   The tech support person succeeded at what needed to be done and seemed legitimate.  After the call ended, I received an email from "Webroot Technical Support < noreply@webrootcloudav.com" directing me to a message at "http://www.webrootanywhere.com/service.asp" and giving me a password to access the message.  The message was as follows:

"Hello,
Thank you for allowing us to work with you via remote connection. We believe we have addressed your concerns.
Just please be very careful with the system optimizer, only use the default settings on that. Also, please avoid or be EXTREMELY careful using the "Delete Files Securely" button under system optimizer tab in utilities. If you used the "Delete Files Securely" button for system optimizer, that could have been the cause of the issue you experienced where your important apps were erased.
Should you have additional questions, please send us a reply in the "Send another message:" section of this page.
We would also like to invite you to join the Webroot Community, an online forum where you can find answers to your security questions, vote on ideas for our products, and talk to experts.
Sincerely,
The Webroot Support Team"

Thanks for any input you may have.

To
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. You went to the right place. Just thought I'd ask since we've had some people contact one of these spoof numbers in the past. 😉
Userlevel 2
I agree with you 100%.  Coincidentally, I was meeting with my bookkeeper this morning (I'm a solo attorney partially retired) and her husband appears to have gotten taken by one of the Indian on-line computer support scams, to whicih he gave remote access to his Mac.  I gave her a "lecture" about folks out there oftentimes not really being who they purport to be!

Have a nice day.

Tom
Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, we hear of members being tricked by these types of crooks all too often. 😞
Userlevel 7
Hello TomC, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

Thank you for posting. I've used "System Optimize" only a few times without problem. I've only had my Mac for about 6 months. Sorry to hear that you have had problems with it. I believe ? also uses "System Optimize". I have never used "Delete Files Securely" and from the reply you received from Support I believe I never will use it. If "Delete Files Securely" is that powerful I believe that setting should be put in the "Advanced Setting" section.

?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello TomC,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Yes...I also own a Mac and I have used System Optimizer many times. But I have never used "Delete Files Securely."

Thank you for posting this Tom. As I was never aware of this happening.. Sorry for all these issues that you had, :(

Userlevel 2
I agree (re:  put System Optimize in "Advanced Settings").  Thanks for your input and have a nice weekend.

Tom

Userlevel 2
Thanks.

Frankly, I am "spooked" about reinstalling Webroot.

Interesting that at present, Apple's engineers have asked me to attempt a couple of things that have been problematic for me in El Capian once I've downloaded Sierra next week  --  and Webroot has sent out a notice saying that BEFORE downloading Sierra it is IMPERATIVE to update Webroot.  So I am kind of in a bind and am inclined to upgrade to Sierra, deal with the Apple engineer's questions/issues and only then consider what software to use for I/N security protection.

Have a nice weekend.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Sounds like it might a pecularity with the Mac verison only as I have used the 'Securely Delete' optin a few times and have suffered no ill effects such as those described. ;)