UAC Prompt

• 15 December 2015
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Hello,
Since yesterday both my Windows 7 pcs are displaying the UAC prompt ( user account control ) Webroot wants to make changes to windows at every bootup. I have to click yes each time for webroot to load. If I change the User account control settings to never notify me then I do not get the prompts. I do not want to do this in case any unwanted programs make changes to windows or install. Please help.
Stephen 

36 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I am having the same problems on my 2 x Windows 7 desktop PCs running Webroot. If I boot them up with no internet connection the UAC prompt says Webroot wants to make changes to windows. If I click yes Webroot appears to load but then I get an Action Center warning on the task bar saying webroot is turned off. It gives an option to turn webroot on but am unable to do this. I have raised a support ticket. Please helo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi stevecosta,

Sorry you are having these issues. But it is best to wait for the Support Team to have a look at this for you.

You could try an uninstall/clean reinstall that might help but I am not sure if this will fix the UAC prompt.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
A reinstall, even deleting WRDATA and rebooting before doing it, won't help.

It has been tried by me and by Webroot support in a remote session just an hour ago and it didn't solve the offline problem.

Basically last update broke the offline mode of Webroot and I strongly doubt there is something on the client side that can be done in order to solve it.

Here is my last reply to Webroot support:

as we agreed with the tech that checked the system in the logmein session I report this:

when you start the computer not being connected to Internet Webroot misbehave.

UAC intercept webroot start and even if you allow it, the system behaves erratically (empty list of active processes in webroot monitor, as I showed in my screenshot to the tech, crash and restart of the webroot process and so on).

It's true, like the tech wrote, that to FULLY protect your system Webroot needs a working internet connection but it has and has always had an offline mode that monitor your system reporting to your servers when the internet connection is active again.

This has been always working till your last update that broke the offline thing with the problems with UAC and the instability after the permission to start.

Let me know if I can do something to help you locate the source of the problem but, being an offline behaviour, I think it'll be hard if you don't reproduce it in your labs.

It shouldn't be difficult, in every system I have (there are more than 30 here at work), and from what I read in the community forums, in a lot of systems by other users, the behaviour is the same.

Best Wishes
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? You are doing a sterling job helping Webroot sort this issue out. Let us hope that they can resolve it before much longer.

FWIW, I have also had the UAC prompt when rebooting, even though I have always been connected to the internet. Since all these problems only started when the latest version of WSA was installed last week, maybe they could try rolling us all back to the previous version!
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Non of the steps worked for me and  webroot support also connected to my pc remotely without any success. Will have to wait for the new updated version. Lets hope its very soon.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Not getting anywhere fast just going in circles with customer support. Ots been 10 days since I uploaded log files and being connected remotley with no success. They have now once again requested me to upload logs again desite me already having done this on 15th dec. They do not appear to be reading my previous messages. Disappointed. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
All issues with the UAC prompt and no protection while off line now resolved with the new updated version 9.0.7.46 released 29/12/2015. Many thanks 
Userlevel 7
Hi stevecosta

Many thanks for posting back...thatis goo and very useful to know.

Hopefully, as the new release rolls out/is pushed out to users the problem will be completely resolved for those in the user base who had the issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you for the update ? that is great to know.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hello, I'm happy to report that issue seems to be solved, even starting not connected to the Internet. If I should find some unit that doesn't behave like the one from which I'm writing from I'll report it but for now............everything seems fine. Thanks a lot to you all (and to webroot for fixing this issue) Best Wishes...............and Happy New Year !!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Hi aieie

That is great news. Many thanks for taking the time to come back here and let us know. It is much appreciated.

Regards, Baldrick