Solved

Uninstalled WR now can't connect to Internet

• 13 January 2016
  • 24 replies

I placed the trial version on my computer about 2 weeks ago while I waited for my purchased copy from Frys to come in the mail. I then wanted to uninstall the trial just to have a good clean install of my newly purchased Webroot.... Only thing is, it killed my network connection. I have no internet. How I removed Webroot was simply activating the uninstall file. That was it. Nothing else. I am currently restoring my computer to see if this helps, but I want to be able to remove the Webroot without it damaging my networking capabilities. Please advise.
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 12 January 2017, 17:10

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hi hismusicnme .............Welcome to the Community. Uninstalling Webroot should not disable your Internet connection. Did you or can you re-start your computer before trying to restore????

I already restored it... which solved the Internet problem. It should be noted that I uninstalled about 2 weeks ago a older WebRoot from last year that had expired & had the very same thing happen. I lost all wifi function. It was a real struggle to get it back, and I had to restore my laptop then too. I am really hesitant to put any Webroot product back on here at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello

Why do you let your WSA subscription run out? If you let it run out you should uninstall it before you let it run out as the Keycode is tied to the cloud and it needs to be online for uninstall, also I have not come accross this myself as I never let it run out and as far as I know WSA does hook into Internet connections to protect your system so a simple thing would be to uninstall the Wi-Fi adaptor via Device Manager and reinstall the driver for it (make sure you have the correct driver before doing so). Also you can try to uninstall WSA in safe mode with networking then reboot back into normal mode and see if that works. There's many ways and did you ever contact Webroot Support about this? Webroot Customer Service

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi hismusicnme,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear you had these issues. This is unusual that Webroot would cause these kind of problems. But I understand your frustrations and being uneasy in reinstalling Webroot.  What OS are you running may I ask? Do you have any other Virus software running? Even though Webroot is 99% compatible with other AV/s. BitDefender is the only one that isn't compatible..I am just puzzled why you would have to restore your laptop after uninstalling Webroot.. I'd like to let you know that Webroot has free technical support whenever you need it. They would gladly assist you with reinstalling or uninstalling. If you should change your mind. You can Submit or Support Ticket or call.

https://tel:18666124268
Mon-Fri 7:00 AM to 6:30 PM (MST)
Sat-Sun 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM (MST)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Very strange as i've already installed & uninstalled Secure Anywhere many times and never ran into this. I'm mainly online via wifi . What kind of OS are you using? Didn't read that.
I'm having the same issue now! Someone help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Johnswhite11

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?  Or you can Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge.

Hi guys - I'm running into a similar issue. After awhile of not using my computer I decided to set it up in our office again. I was installing Mcafee as a new security software - before I could install, it needed me to unistall webroot. As soon as I uninstalled webroot, my pc lost connectivity. Im currently connected through a wifi router. I've tried everything I could - reset everything, did the TCIP stuff, nothings working. The issue is definitely somewhere on the computer because all of our other devices work on the router. I tried hard wiring straight to the modem and still nothing. The computer will connect - but says limited connectivity. Im about ready to pull my hair out. Please help!
Userlevel 7
Hello CurtisMead, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.:D

Please Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.

HTH,
Dave.;)
I have the EXACT issue. Brother gave me a Laptop that worked fine. The anti virus had run out. I have an account with Macfee. Downloaded Macafee and uninstalled webroot and I am dead in the water. Connection is limited through wifi or hard wire. This sucks. Web root screwed me
Reading through the answers above. Dave says contact webroot support to sort out the problem. This is free with a paid subscription? Well then it's not free if you have to pay for a subscription. I'm a little ticked off. Because I don't want your internet security you screw up my computer. Not just mine but others too? That's just wrong.
Userlevel 7
Hi Slammingscottyc

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear of your plight. I have to say that I very strongly doubt that it was the uninstall of WSA that has caused the issue. I regularly uninstall/reinstall WSA and have never had this issue. If you have installed McAfee then suspect that it is more likely to be related to McAfee which has a history of issues in terms of installation (and as a result of that uninstallation...to such an extent that McAfee have provided a Removal Tool on their website.

What I would do is to reboot, uninstall McAfee and see if that resolves the issue.

If that does not, or if you have not yet installed McAfee, then you best bet would be to contact Webroot Support, explain the situation, i.e., that you believe that the uninstallation of WSA has caused the issue, and see if they will assist in checking for this and, if proved to be founded, correcting the issue. 

Regards, Baldrick
While I didn't have an issue uninstalling WR on my primary PC, I had the same problem on my second PC as well. First, I uninstalled Webroot which didn't cleanly uninstall with 8 days left on subscription.

Webroot folder in WIN 10 Program Data folder was locked and my force delete software couldn't remove it after reboot either. Since WRSV was still running in Services and locking the folder, I deleted all references to WRSV in registry which allowed then to delete the folder. Thereafter, both ethernet and wireless have limited access to network connections with the WIN 10 Network Troubleshooter reporting no valid IP addresses assigned even though the settings are still showing obtain IP address automatically.

Next I removed the drive and scanned it completely on a different PC to rule out Malware.

Then I did a in-place upgrade to reinstall WIN 10 which initially cleared the connection to the internet but upon 1st reboot, the problem came back. Something has carried over obviously. So now it looks as though I'm going to have to wipe the drive and start all over from the original WIN 8.1 install disks and do a WIN 10 upgrade after that.

I also see that the my network connection is stuck on public instead of private which it always was set as. So something changed that, as well as, the option to change the connection type disappeared in the HomeGroup settings.

This sucks Webroot! The company doesn't even offer a removal tool. You can be **bleep** sure I will never put another one of your products on my PC or recommend it to anyone. BTW, my reason for changing vendors is over poor detection rates as too many malware files went undetected. My new AV detected what was on my other PC's system messing with the mouse on first scan! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Check these settings within Windows 10: https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private if that doesn't work please Submit a Support Ticket and Webroot support will help you.

Thanks,

Daniel
Hello,
I HAD to make sure that Webroot is made aware of this VERY REAL problem with your product! I am a small computer repair shop owner and I have now seen this happen with EVERY (at least 5 of them)Windows 10 computer which I removed Webroot Internet Security from (always the current version of Webroot Internet Security and with valid subscription at least 2 of the times including the current one). In ALL cases the internet went out at reboot after the Webroot uninstall with the regular Apps/Features removal of the Webroot. All internet adapters are affected and if a totally new piece of hardware is installed it also does not have internet access. I have in all cases done the following: Reset Winsock, All Netsh reset commands, Repair install of Windows 10, Restarted and verified function of ALL internet related services including DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP , Repaired/Reset Windows Firewall, turned off windows firewall, set network to private, set network to public, attemted to install Webroot again (which was not allowed due to lack of connection), ran the Webroot removal tool (which said it would not work on the current version but I tried it anyway), booted in safe mode with networking, restored unit to time prior to uninstall. None of it worked on ANY of the machines. When I did the repair install of Windows 10 I had the EXACT same result mentioned a couple posts before this one. It worked until the first reboot. THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCT! In all previous cases my customers said just to reload the enitre machine after all of this failed. This last machine was an old lady's computer who did nothing with it. I don't even know why she had antivirus. I had totally reloaded the machine just 2 months ago and saw very little activity since. There were no programs installed outside of Webroot and Office 365, and as I said this entire install was only a couple of months old. The only reason for the removal was because she read the instructions for the renewal key she purchased from you and they said to remove the previous AV software.
I am going to attempt to contact your support people, but stop saying that the issue is probably not the uninstall of Webroot. It is and it is happening a lot! Please post a valid solution to the problem that multiple customers have brought to your attention. I will be sure to do everything in my power to direct my customers away from every installing Webroot until a solution is posted. If there has been and I was just unable to find it before writing this, thats a problem too. People need to know about this.

To anyone else having this issue:
Webroot knows about this issue and has a solution for the problem.

It is, in fact, an issue caused by uninstalling their software.

If you call them they will give you the solution, though it may depend on the technician you get when you call as to whether you have to be a paying customer or not. I was not and I also did not give ANY personal information. As soon as someone picked up and asked for my email address, I just said that I needed the answer to this uninstall issue. Do not call the number provided in one of the previous posts. The number to call is 1-866-612-4227. 
I did not post the solution that they gave me, because I have not yet verfied that it works.
If when I verify it or if they respond to my emailed ticket with the solution, I will post it.
Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ I don't know why you say we say it's not a Webroot issue? We all said to Contact Webroot Support for help. Personally I have never seen this issue in the 5+ years of using WSA.

Daniel 😠
Hi @,
Can you share the solution or DM me? I ran into exact same issue and tried everything you did and then some before finding these posts on google.

We have a deadline tomorrow on a project and need to get PC back onto internet asap.

Thanks,
-sw
I contacted them, got the fix, it worked.
The webroot download is Removed by Moderator but I am not sure if anonymous access is allowed.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The webroot download is Removed by Moderator but I am not sure if anonymous access is allowed.
We really appreciate you wanting to be so helpful, @. But after checking with our Support Team, they've confirmed that we can't share that tool publicly due to Legal reasons. We're covered when our Technician use it over Remote Connection ONLY

I hope you understand :cathappy: Thank You again!
This is such garbage! I have the exact same problem everyone is describing and the only thing I could do was Win10 reinstall. I wish I had seen this before I had to delete all my programs! I guess Webroot just wants to be sure they give you a big $&@! off when you uninstall.
Hmmmmm, if in fact you cant connect to the Internet, how are you able to post a reply here on Webroot ?
Good point! These days pretty much everyone has just one device that can connect to the internet. Maybe one day I’ll get another one and install Webroot again on it