Using IE on Win10, new page lists pages never visited, even after deleting history.

• 25 October 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
I am running Win 10, using Internet Explorer on the net.  When I open a new page, the boxes showing previously visited pages lists many that I have not gone to.  If I go in and clear my history and leave the computer on, at the end of the day, with out even using it, it will show up again.  Any ideas how to prevent this and why it is happening?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi wbabst

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Let's start with whether you have run a recent scan of your system with WSA? If not then please do so. If so then was anything detected and if so then what exactly.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
I ran a scan and rebooted IE, after about 1/2 hour when opening page boxes show sites like Gateway Timeout - in read wiremedia-viralnovas, one box just says Okay, another says http://goo.gl/K4SVHq, another says http://click.fhmnet.com/fc/

I hadn't gone anywhere on IE, I had just opened it and went to google, then opened a new tab and got that.  I don't know where and the hell these are coming from.

Userlevel 7
Hi wbabst

Thanks for the additional information; none of the sites that you have posted or given details on appear to be malicious or dangerous, at least not that I can see and in fact one of them does not even result in an opening page (just a monetary tab being displayed and then disappearing).

I take it that the scan has come up clean and you are not seeing any other strange activity in relation to normal beahovoiur of your system, i.e., no strange popups, etc.?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
True, no malicious ware was spotted, and no unusual pop ups, I am just concerned that these keep bumping out my regular sites and wonder why my computer is going there when I am not asking it too.  Or indicating that I am going there when I am not.
Userlevel 7
Hi wbabst

I can certainly understand your concern, and the good thing is that you scan has come up clean.

I have to admit that I am at a loss to really understand what is happening here, and therefore I would recommend, at this stage, that you Open a Support Ticket so that the Support Team can take a look at this and see if they can spot the issue/confirm that your system is not at risk, etc.

In the interim let me ping a couple of our gurus ? ? to see if they have any thoughts/views as to what could be causing this.

If you do open the support ticket please do let us know what the Support team come back with as I for one anm particularly interested in finding out what is behind this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello there :)

I was thinking Trouble Ticket as well.  Is it possible there is a PUA at work here? (Potentially Unwanted Application)  Support should be able to help identify and remove it if there is.

I wonder do wonder though, does this happen ONLY in IE?  Have you checked to see if it also happens in Edge?  Or Chrome or Firefox if you have either of those installed?

Forgive me if I am repeating something already said, but have you also check IE Add-Ons to make sure there are no rogue browser extensions present?
Userlevel 7
All good points, David...thanks for bring ing them. If it is a PUA then it is most definitively not behaving like any I have ever encountered. Will be intersting to see what the Support Team have to say about this.

wbabst, to save you time when you open the ticket just provide a link to this thread and that should provide the Support Team with the initial information they need to consider how to approach the issue. If they need more then they will contact you and ask for it.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thank you to both of you, the problem did not occur in Edge at all,  but was almost immediate when I found a way to us Internet Explorer.  I don't like Edge but was giving it a try then found out how to go back to IE and did.  I don't want to use IE if I have this issue so I will look into opening a ticket and see what that will lead too.  Thanks again.