Solved

Version Confusion

• 25 September 2012
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi all,

I've already contacted support about this and I'm getting nowhere so I thought I'd try here.

Last month I bought SecureAnywhere Essentials for 5 PCs.

Today I wanted to try out the Backup & Sync solution but no matter what I do, I am getting an error that my credentials are invalid.

Also, I had decided to look into upgrading so I could use the password manager features. When I go to upgrade/renew on my account though, it says I "You are currntly using the best security protection for your PC." and that I own Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete. Yet, there is no password manager in the software I have installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and am running 8.0.2.14.

Any idea why the discrepency in versions and why the backup tool won't recognize me? Is everything lost in some kind of transition with the new product line?

Support has just asked me to reinstall again and keeps telling me my license is for Essentials, despite what the site is telling me.
icon

Best answer by JimM 27 September 2012, 23:33

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Terry and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

To Quote JoeJ:

"Backup is removed from Essentials, but all current Essentials customers are now given the full Complete product. If you're seeing something different, I recommend waiting a day or so and then contacting Support. We are changing every existing license in the background to move functionality over so it will take some time"

This is because of the changes in the 2013 versions and I have not received the upgrade at this time also.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 1
Ahh, thank you. OK. Though I would have hoped Support would be able to convey this to me directly instead of suggesting I reset my password or that they set up a new account for me under a new email address...

In the meantime I'll just be patient and give it a few days.

Thanks for the response
Terry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Anytime! 😉 I think everyone is still waiting for the Official Marketing Announcements.

TH
Userlevel 7
TripleHelix is correct about Essentials customers being migrated to Complete. As a Complete customer, Password Management should exist in the Identity & Privacy section of the program in a "Password Management" section on the left side. If you're missing that, and if we're sure you're on Complete already, I'd like to look into this for you. Please send me a private message with your keycode, and I can take a look.
Userlevel 7
Terry, you have a relatively recently-purchased subscription to Essentials.  It's about 40 days old.  Since the conversion will take place at the time of renewal, and you have not renewed, it's not going to switch over to Complete until the subscription runs out or if you renew in advance.  I think that is where the confusion was coming from in this case.  It's not going to convert itself to a Complete keycode unless a renewal occurs, and there hasn't been one.  I'd agree with the advice in the ticket to reach out to sales if you'd like to renew early to get it converted to Complete.

Regarding the Backup issue, it made sense to try the password reset and the uninstall/reinstall.  However, it's clear that didn't solve the problem.  One thing that isn't clear yet is what happens when you try to get into the Backup area of the my.webrootanywhere.com website.  You've explained that you can sign in to the website itself, but what happens when you try to go to the Backup area? 

The support agent's suggestion that we could start you over with a new keycode and account is ultimately going to be the quickest way to get this resolved.  The silver lining for this problem is going to be that with the forthcoming changes to the Backup system, this kind of problem shouldn't even exist anymore.  We're making efforts to get those changes in place as soon as possible.  In the short term, you would be best off following support's advice to work around this inconvenience.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

At last, some clarification as to what is going on re. this.  And it would have been so simple to just advise as you have, ie, "...the conversion will take place at the time of renewal,".  As I have about 130 days left on my current Essentials license I will wait until then...but at least I now know what to expect.

Many thanks for that.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 1
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response! I'll reach out to sales.

In answer to your question, yes, I can log into the Backup view on mywebroot and see my (empty) web archive etc, I just cannot log in via Webroot software itself.

If it's all changing in a month or so I'll just hold off and see what the new solution looks like. In the meantime, I'll reach out to sales about a renewal.

Thanks much, all very helpful.

-Terry
Userlevel 3
I'm having the same confusing issue. My Essentials upgraded to version 8.0.2.14 today but other than the Overview tab, everything else looks the same as Essentials. When I click on Upgrade or renew from the My Account tab, a web page comes ups and tells me "You are currently using the best security protection for your PC"  and says the current product I am using is Secure Anywhere Complete, with an upgrade total price of $0.00. The only option it gives me is to upgrade my storage space.

I get the same web page when I log in to My Webroot account and click on Upgrade for Passwords or Buy Mobile Security. My subscription runs out in 488 days. So from what I understand from the replies I am reading, I will have to wait until then to get these features.

I am also still running the third party Backup and Sync. So what actually will the status be of the former Essentials users?
Userlevel 7
The status of current Essentials users is that you will remain Essentials users until renewing.  If you have over 180 days on your subscription, it would seem that the renewal page does not allow you to renew.  I'll try to find out why.

However, in the meantime, you can renew if you contact the sales department
Userlevel 1
FYI Sales was able to help me out and I'm running Complete now. They did have to set me up with a new key associated with a new email address to make it work, but it worked so thanks!

Do you happen to know what will happen though when this new backup solution is in place? It still looks to be sugarsync, and i now have 25GB free. I was planning on upgrading to 100GB and using Webroot to sync my data. Should I wait to do any backup/sync until the new software / service is in place?

In other words, is there any point in uploading anything at this point if the system is changing? Or will any data I back up now somehow be migrated to the new solution?

Thanks much
Terry
Userlevel 7
Great question. It's going to auto-migrate for you, so you can go ahead and start using it right away. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I have the same situation with my Essentials license, except that my 3 PC key is still valid for 924 days!

What do you recommend I do? I would hate to have to wait almost 3 years for a renewal and update!!:S
Userlevel 7
Contacting the sales department worked well for Terry.  I think that's your best bet.
Userlevel 3
I just got off of the phone with sales. I have 488 days left on my current subscription. He had to put me on hold to get an answer, but like most of the responses on the forum said, it will still basically stay with Essentials features, until the subscription is renewed or upgraded. He told me that he would upgrade my remaining days to Complete for free if I paid $79 for another year's subscription to extend the remaining 488 days another year. 

The only change to my Essentials was the Overview page, and version to 8.0.2.14.  Everything else stayed the same.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
This is becoming shambolic. So, Essentials users will be migrated to Complete, but only when they're due for renewal. Is this correct?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This is becoming shambolic. So, Essentials users will be migrated to Complete, but only when they're due for renewal. Is this correct?
... and what about the closed beta testers who are on Essentials? When they will be transformed to Complete, if ever?
Userlevel 7
At this time the Essentials subscriptions will be upgraded to Complete when you renew. You will not be negatively impacted in any way and you will not lose any Essentials functionality. We will let you know if this changes and if we upgrade sooner. :D

Closed beta subscriptions will be treated in the same regard.

Update: We will be upgrading Essentials customers to Complete without the requirement of a renewal. This will happen on the back end in the weeks to come and will not require action from the user.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
At this time the Essentials subscriptions will be upgraded to Complete when you renew. You will not be negatively impacted in any way and you will not lose any Essentials functionality. We will let you know if this changes and if we upgrade sooner. :D

Closed beta subscriptions will be treated in the same regard.

This contradicts what Joe said over at Wilders:

It looks like Essentials licenses aren't being batch-updated unless you're on the closed/private beta.

Source.
Userlevel 7
Hi Seeker,

It appears to me that Joe is speaking in response to someone asking about an issue with Backup. The new Backup was not released simultaneously with the 2013 launch. It's coming shortly afterwards, but it isn't out yet. It's possible that Beta customers might get that first. After all, Beta customers usually do get things first since they are Beta Testers. However, I believe it's the Backup feature specifically that Joe is talking about.

The second line of his statement seems to be in line with what Mike was saying:

"However, when renewing, you'll receive the Complete product for the Essentials price, which will then include the additional password management functionality not in place in the old Essentials product." - Joe
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Fair enough. I believe I need a cup of tea and a lie down.
Userlevel 7
Me too!  But seriously while this 'upgrade' is all very nice and not to be sniffed at I am left asking myself if I actually want to pay an increased license cost each year when I do not need the Back up & Sync functionality.  The System Cleaner is the element of the Complete version that would appear to be a useful addition to me.  The Password Manager which is the other interesting feature is also part of Internet Security Plus (as is the Mobile Secuity...which incidentally of no use to me as I do not use and Android or iOS-based devices...nor am I likely to being a die hard Windows Phone user).

So am wondering if there is an option to downgrade to Internet Security Plus and so have lower yearly license renewal costs?  Not made a decision yet and will most likely wait a while before doing so...but am thinking about it.

Just my current thoughts...for what they are worth.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 3
JimM wrote:
The second line of his statement seems to be in line with what Mike was saying:

"However, when renewing, you'll receive the Complete product for the Essentials price, which will then include the additional password management functionality not in place in the old Essentials product." - Joe

According to my earlier post, after calling Sales, I was told that I would be charged the price of Complete and not Essentials for the renewal subsciption price. 

Userlevel 7
Good point! My apologies for missing it the first time around. We'll get to the bottom of this - stay tuned. I'll try to get some clarity on what happened there shortly.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

I can confirm that when I looked at renewing via the website the price advised looked suspiciously like the price of a Complete renewal rather than that which I would have expected for Essentials, as it was the same price as buying Internet Security Plus from new.

Not trying to push the point but rather give you some thing more to work with whilst you investigate.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
Official Update:
Essentials customers will be migrated to Complete automatically, but this process hasn't started yet.  If you're an Essentials customer, you don't need to do anything.  It will happen automatically.  There is no need to renew early if your subscription isn't expiring soon already (though you can if you wish).  This migration will take place at some time after the new Backup & Sync solution is released.  Once you see the new version of Backup & Sync show up in the program, you can expect that your Essentials license will convert into a Complete license at some point thereafter.  When this happens, it will not happen for everyone at once, so do not be alarmed if your friend's Essentials license updates to Complete and yours hasn't updated yet.  It will happen, but it's hard to predict how long the migration itself will take for the entire Essentials customer database. 

In short, if you're an Essentials customer who isn't nearing expiration, you don't need to do anything at all.

JD:
As a 3-seat Essentials customer looking to jump-start your conversion to Complete, the quoted price would be incorrect for that number of seats.  Maybe sales thought you were looking to convert to a 5-seat license.  Otherwise, I cannot explain that quote.  It would be ok to contact sales again and point out that you are a pre-existing Essentials customer looking to renew in order to convert your license to Complete.  Alternatively, it's going to happen anyway without renewing, so you could just wait for that to happen.

I hope this clarifies things.  Feel free to post follow-up questions if there are any, and we'll do our best to answer them.  Thanks everyone!