Solved

Version Confusion

• 25 September 2012
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi all,

I've already contacted support about this and I'm getting nowhere so I thought I'd try here.

Last month I bought SecureAnywhere Essentials for 5 PCs.

Today I wanted to try out the Backup & Sync solution but no matter what I do, I am getting an error that my credentials are invalid.

Also, I had decided to look into upgrading so I could use the password manager features. When I go to upgrade/renew on my account though, it says I "You are currntly using the best security protection for your PC." and that I own Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete. Yet, there is no password manager in the software I have installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and am running 8.0.2.14.

Any idea why the discrepency in versions and why the backup tool won't recognize me? Is everything lost in some kind of transition with the new product line?

Support has just asked me to reinstall again and keeps telling me my license is for Essentials, despite what the site is telling me.
icon

Best answer by JimM 27 September 2012, 23:33

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Thank you Jim for the Official Update. 😃
Userlevel 3
@ wrote:
Official Update:

JD:
As a 3-seat Essentials customer looking to jump-start your conversion to Complete, the quoted price would be incorrect for that number of seats.  Maybe sales thought you were looking to convert to a 5-seat license.  Otherwise, I cannot explain that quote.  It would be ok to contact sales again and point out that you are a pre-existing Essentials customer looking to renew in order to convert your license to Complete.  Alternatively, it's going to happen anyway without renewing, so you could just wait for that to happen.

I hope this clarifies things.  Feel free to post follow-up questions if there are any, and we'll do our best to answer them.  Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the official update Jim. I 'suspect' the sales person was new or it was a training issue, since he had to put me on hold and ask for assistance.  I will just be patient and wait for the backup and sync to be released. Do you have any idea of when the time frame will be for that to happen, especially since I had a technical issue with the current backup.

JDMoose :D

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Thanks Jim, much appreciated 😃
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

Apologies for asking but what happens if I do not want to become a Complete version user (I have numerous reasons for asking and have not decided what I want to do yet) and would prefer to remain at essentially the Essentials level of functionality by becoming an Internet Security Plus version user?  Is that possible?

I understand that Internet Security Plus does not include Back Up & Sync and the new System Cleaner...but if what it does include better fits my requirements, is a sideways move (so to speak) an option?

As already mentioned I have made no decision yet/am considering what I want to do...so thought that I would ask early.

Thanks in advance for an official reply. :D

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
Hi Balders,

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. I'm here to help, and I'm happy to do it :D

The conversion will happen automatically for all Essentials customers. However, you can of course always decide to purchase Internet Security Plus instead of Complete when renewal time rolls around for you.

There are no features found in Internet Security Plus that are not found in Complete, and if you don't want to use any particular feature found in Complete, you could disable it. Perhaps you could explain some of your reasons for potentially not wanting to move to Complete?
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

Thanks for the prompt response.

What I was actually thinking about was NOT being converted to Complete but being MOVED to Internet Security Pus whenever the move takes place.  And if that is not possible then being allowed to 'downgrade' to Internet Security Plus when my license is up for renewal (approx. 130 days).

What I am DEFINITIVELY NOT prepared to do is purchase Internet Security Plus at the next renewal (assuming that purchase means pay the full price for that version rather than the normal upgrade proce for that version).

My reasons for considering not want Complete are simple, as previously stated earlier in this thread:

While "...this 'upgrade' is all very nice and not to be sniffed at I am left asking myself if I actually want to pay an increased license cost each year when I do not need the Back up & Sync functionality.  The System Cleaner is the element of the Complete version that would appear to be a useful addition to me.  The Password Manager which is the other interesting feature is also part of Internet Security Plus (as is the Mobile Secuity...which incidentally of no use to me as I do not use and Android or iOS-based devices...nor am I likely to being a die hard Windows Phone user)."

Hope that explains the reason for my question?  I may be alone a potentially "looking a.gift horse in the mouth" but that is my current view.

I await your thoughts as to what is possible, etc.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
Balders, it sounds like it's an issue of pricing. Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus is currently priced at $59.99 per year. I can't speculate as to whether it will be the same price 130 days from now, but I would assume probably so. You could purchase IS+ when the time comes, instead of paying the same price for an upgrade to Complete, if you choose to do so. This is a discount we are offering only for Essentials customers to move to Complete so they don't lose their Backup feature. If you don't believe Complete is right for you, and thus you don't want to set yourself up for paying more to renew Complete at a later time, yes, you could switch to IS+ instead. It's not our intention to try to lock anyone into a version of WSA that isn't the best fit for them.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

I suppose it could look like that but in reality I chose Essentials originally (and I do not currently use Back Up & Sync) because it was the cloest fit to what I was looking for...and currently I see no incentive to change (but once I have considered everyting I may have a different view).

However, assuming I do not then I would have hoped that I could have moved to Internet Security Plus at the renewal proce for that as if I was currently on that version.  In the UK the renewal price for Essential users being moved to Complete is £39.99 whilst the new purchase price for Internet Security Plus is also £39.99...therefore I deduce that the renewal price of both Essentials (if still available) & Internet Security Plus (which is now replacing it) would be lower than the new purchase price...but correct me if I am incorrect?

All I may (and I stress that at this point it is just a 'may') be looking for is the chance to move to Internet Security Plus at the Internet Security Renewal price, and then as I would be on an equivalent version to that which I initially chose my renwal per new 12 month period would be what I was expecting when I purchased Essentials (always understanding that prices may change over time).

Hope that clarifies what I am looking for?  If the answer is 'not possible' unless I have to purchase IS+ at the new purchase price then I will have another factor to input into the equation re. what I do going forward...but it does add a further option...which I would prefer to not have to contemplate.

As I have said before I understand where Webroot are coming from in the sense that they unlike a lot of companies have tried to take an approach that is other than 'the contents have changed and you will have to like it or lump it' and I applaud that...but it is just possible that I am not the only one and one shoe does not fit all?

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
However, assuming I do not then I would have hoped that I could have moved to Internet Security Plus at the renewal proce for that as if I was currently on that version.  In the UK the renewal price for Essential users being moved to Complete is £39.99 whilst the new purchase price for Internet Security Plus is also £39.99...therefore I deduce that the renewal price of both Essentials (if still available) & Internet Security Plus (which is now replacing it) would be lower than the new purchase price...but correct me if I am incorrect?

That is actually incorrect.  The special that is currently being run is for Essentials customers who are transitioning to Complete.  The renewal price and non-renewal price for IS+ are the same.  Essentials cannot be renewed.  That is why Essentials customers are getting the discount for Complete.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

You misunderstand me, methinks.  I understand that the current renewal price for current Essential users who are being moved up to Complete is a 'special' but I am assuming that this is a one off for the first or transitionary renewal and thereafter annual renewals will be at the Complete renewal price.  If I go on Internet Security Plus then my following renewals will be at the Internet Security Plus renewal price, which I would presume will be lower than that for Complete?  I am thinking about the future renewal and NOT the next one.

My point is that as the additional functionality that is now in Complete is of no interest to me, so in the first year after trnasition I accept that I am not paying for it given the transitionary pricing offer but thereafter I will be paying for something that I am not using and currently can see no likelihood of using...hence why my thinking is get this sorted now rather than looking to downgrade in a year after the next renewal.

So it looks to me that either I have to let my current license lapse/purchase Internet Security Plus at the full price or accept the transition at the special price and then pay more thanI would normally have had to for fucntionality I do not want.  OR I can just give up completely on WSA...which I do not really want to do.

It would just be nice to have the option to transition to Internet Security Plus, if that is what one feels is best for one, and if possible at what would have been the renwal price for Essentials.  I appreciate that we may just be talking about £10 (guess on my part) but it is the principle involved as much as anything.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
If I go on Internet Security Plus then my following renewals will be at the Internet Security Plus renewal price, which I would presume will be lower than that for Complete? 

Balders
This is correct, and I think we must have been talking past each other.  If I was in your position, I would take advantage of the Complete offer for now.  Then in about 540 days, which is about how long you'd have after the renewal + your pre-existing days, I'd re-evaluate whether or not I wanted Complete or IS+.  If I decided at that time that IS+ would be sufficient to suit my needs, I'd buy IS+ instead of renewing Complete at that time.  You might look at this as a "downgrade," though it would really be one license replacing the other.  If you already know you don't want Complete, and you, for whatever reason, don't want the additional features of Complete basically free for a year, I'm sure we could replace the Complete license with an IS+ license for you.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jim

Thanks for the response and suggestions.  As I have said previously I am currently considering my position/checking on whether I could use the extra functionality in Complete or not, and will give some thought to what you have just posted...before making my mind up.

Regards

Balders