Solved

Virtual machine license question

• 12 July 2012
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
I plan on running a VMWare virtual machine running XP on my Windows 7 PC. I would like to install Webroot on the XP instance as well as on Windows 7. Do I need to buy 2 licenses?
icon

Best answer by MikeR 13 July 2012, 14:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey TH,

Yes in the 8.0.1.193 release there were improvements to SecureAnywheres detections and identification of clones on VMs. Good question, if you were to clone a VM it would temporarily occupy an additional seat until the clone has been deleted. Once deleted, SecureAnywhere will automatically update the license count. You might consider using a snapshot of the VM, this way it would not temporarily occupy a seat on your license.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Mike for the great info! ;)

TH
Userlevel 7
Hey NIckG,

That is a great question and I could better answer it if I knew what package of SecureAnywhere you have. Installing on your PC and on your VM would use 2 licenses. Although, with SecureAnywhere Essentials and SecureAnywhere Complete you have 3 licenses at your disposal so it would work just fine.
Badge +1
Thanks, Mike. I would like to install Essentials. I have 3 PCs plus the VM. So I guess I would need to buy the 5-license package, right? My wife also just got a netbook, so I guess I could use the 5th licencse for that. 5 licenses is kind of expensive, though.
Userlevel 7
You're welcome, I think the upgrade to the 5th license sounds like the best bet for your situation. You may be able to get a discounted price by upgrading from 3 to 5 licenses.

Consumer Sales Number: 1.866.612.4268
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One thing I would like to ask that I have seen in one of the recent changelogs I have 4 VM's ATM I use a 3 pc Essentials License for them and I use the Beta for Win 8 RP and If I want to do a test of some apps or test some malware I just Clone a VM first then do what I want and just delete the Clone afterwards how does this affect the License?

TIA,

TH