Solved

Web Root found a threat and had quarantined it.

• 7 September 2014
  • 10 replies

I got a notice after my last scan that WebRoot had found a threat on my computer.  WebRoot quarantined it.  What do I do now?  Delete the quarantined threat?
VG
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 8 September 2014, 00:00

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Majinja

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, the first thing to do is to go to the Quarantine tab in WSA and check out just what it has quarantined, and then review this Knowledge Base article on managing quarantied items.

If that does not help or you have further questions please post back here and a member of the Community will be pleased to help you.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you!  Am going to that now.  I replied so quick to your post, I didn't get your name, but Thank you! anyway.  If I have any more trouble I'll be sure to post back here.  You were quick to help and I really appreciate it! Thanks Again!  VG
Userlevel 7
Hi Majinja

Your are very, very welcome.  Glad to know that this has helped.

The Community is a great place to come, not only for issues, but to make friends & to have fun...hope that we will see you around...and not just for issues...:D

Regards, Baldrick
It quarantined it, but I had to get Geek Squad to help out with it.  For the very first time Geek Squad screwed my mac up!  I went in and deleted the quarantined item.  My mac still would not work.  Then I realized that the Geek guy had placed my Safari broswer in a file on my DESK TOP!  I have no idea how he did that.  I checked my hard drive, and sure enough, Safari was missing!  I put it back and now all is operating great.  I shut down the compuer and rebooted it.  WebRoot came up just fine, with no problems at all!  Everything is working except for Yahoo.  It seems extremely slow.  I still don't know if it is Yahoo or a lasting problem from Geek's last romp through my mac.
Userlevel 7
Hi Majinja

Glad to hear that basically things are sorted for you.  Is it Yahoo generally or other sites too?

Regards, Baldrick
Baldrick,
It is worse on Yahoo, but also seems to be slow in my email when opening browser for viewing an email's news article or something similar.  At times, I get a time out message' or Safari can't open that page or whatever it is.  At times, I get a message that says error, try again in a few minutes.  I've even gotten a message that Safari can't find that server.  Server???  It's a little weird.  I've thought about calling Geek Squad back, but WebRoot is not picking up anything and I am on a mac.  They usually don't get any viruses.  Every time this has happened, my mac has needed cleaning out.  But, this last guy was supposed to have done that first.  Perhaps he didn't?  That would explain the slowness of the few areas.  

The whole last session with Geek Squad was strange.  He essentially gave up and told me to bring my mac into the local Best Buy and have the Geek Squad work on it there.  He said he could not get a high enough authority to correct the Webroot problem.  But, I corrected it myself.  I don't even know anything about webroot.  All I did was delete the quarantined item.  I checked the hard drive, the applications, and a few other places and could not find it anywhere else or any other copies of it, so I shut down my mac and restarted it and it's working fine, except for being slow.  

What do you think or advise?
Majinja
Userlevel 7
Hello there, I am going to interject here if you do not mind.  I believe Baldrick has called it a night and is off to bed, so I will comment here.

I happen to have spent 3 years working for Geek Squad.  There is a very good chance that when you call them the location I worked at is exactly where your call is first received before you are passed onto an actual 'remote agent'.  Let's be honest here: not everyone is as good with Mac's as some are, and not all Geek Squad Agents are as good as others are.  It sounds to me like you happened to have a less experienced Agent on that last call.

You might give them another try since you have the service paid for, and see how it goes before bringing it into the store.  Webroot Support can help sort out issues with Webroot, but if WSA is working correctly and the computer is just plain slow... that sounds like it is out of Support's scope of work.

? knows much more about Mac than I (I admit I know next to nothing).  Sherry, do you have any ideas here?
David,
Thanks for the response.  There was actually a lot more to the Webroot problem.  When I deleted the quarantined item, Webroot would not "reset" to green.  That's why I called Geek Squad.  They took my call and then had me wait for the next agent to work on my mac.  When the agent came on and looked through the mac and webroot, he ran through several processes that they always do, and I could follow some of them, but most I could not see.  When he said he could not get a high enough authority, I was quite surprised!  Geek Squad SOLD me the Webroot program when I bought my Kindle, for my mac and my husbands tablet.  I brought my mac in and they installed it right there at the store while I waited.  How high of an authority does one need to correct Webroot???  I've never heard a Geek Squad agent say anything like that before.  I have had them tell me that I needed to take it into the store because they would have a mac person there.  That I understand.  That I would expect if they didn't have a mac person at their place of business where their call to me originated.  Why lie to me?  This I do not understand.

MOST of all WHY did he put my Safari IN a folder ON my DESK TOP???  Never has an agent ever done that and LEFT it there and told me it was okay for me to use my mac until I brought it in to Geek Squad?  

I smell a rat!  A bad one.  This is the very first bad experience I've ever had with Geek Squad.  I'm not doing anything with Geek Squad until I decide whether I want them in my mac again.  

As far as Webroot?  I'm not even sure about it anymore.  For instance, Webroot will not let me order a pizza online from Pappa John's.  It kicks me out of the websight!  Not only does it warn me it is a dangerous site that might  contain malware and/or steal my credit card number, but it kicks me right out of the sight.  BTW, I don't give my credit card number, I go pick ithe pizza up!  So, why won't Webroot let me order the dang pizza?

I'm a little put out right now with Geek Squad and Webroot.  I guess you can tell.  (Sigh)
Maginja

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

? I can certainly try..it's really hard to believe a Mac would be running slow in my opinion.Since I am pretty fond of Macs.;) I own a 2007 Mac running Yosemite. I did replace the hard drive almost 2 years ago. But my system is fast and I haven't any slow downs.

Is your computer slow to boot up or slow on the internet while browsing? Which browser are you using? I use FF, Chrome and Safari without any issues. Have you cleaned your history and cookies in your browser?

Some helpful tips

Nothing slows down a Mac more than having too much on your hard drive. If you can lighten the load on your Mac, you’re sure to see an increase in speed. But then this is hard to do if you don't know what you are doing.

Update your OS X.
Having the latest version of OS X is good practice (the latest version right now is OS X Yosemite). Don’t think of it as adding more junk to your already slow Mac — think of it as new software that makes your Mac run more smoothly. So, update your Mac’s OS X to help speed up your Mac. Head to the Mac App Store and search for “OS X Yosemite”. Install it and you’ll probably see a nice performance boost.

How to fix it: Manage your Startup Items.
Give your Mac a clean start. When you don’t manage your Startup Items, it’s like making your Mac run a sprint with a gigantic, book-filled backpack — it’s going to take a bit longer for it to get moving, right? Lighten the load on your Mac.
Get a fast Mac startup by removing unnecessary apps. Go to your System Preferences > Users & Groups, and then click on your username. Now, click on Login Items, click on the name of an application you don't need to launch during startup, and then click the "-" symbol located below the list to the left; this will remove the application from the list — the less applications on the list, the better. This should help out a ton with speeding up your slow Mac.

Upgrade your hardware to add more memory ulness your system is new.

Has your Mac been slow since installing Webroot? If so maybe a uninstall/clean reinstall would help. I could explain in depth how to do that if you feel you are up to it.

Honestly I think submitting a Support Ticket is the best way to go IF BestBuy cannot fix your computer, Talk to the Manager of Geek Squad if you have paid service for support.

? is our Threat Researcher and maybe he could look at this thread upon next week and give advice?

Hope this helps somewhat?

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Also one more thing you could preform on your Mac is the Mac operating system relies on permissions for most tasks. If these permissions are incorrect, they can cause a variety of issues, both with your programs and with computer performance itself.

To check permissions on the Mac OS:

1. Navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
Note: The Disk Utility feature is advanced and powerful. Any action you take using the Disk Utility is at your own risk. We recommend you only use the Disk Utility under instruction by a qualified technician.

2. Click the Hard Drive name, e.g. Macintosh HD, in the left panel.

3. Under the First Aid tab, select Show details.
4. Click Verify Disk Permissions. This operation may take some time to complete.

5. If the operation finds permissions issues, fixing them can resolve the issue you have reported. Click Repair Disk Permissions. This process may also take time to complete.

6. Once the repair process is finished, restart your computer.

7. After restarting, please test the issue you have reported.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,