Webpage Preview?

• 30 April 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of choosing new Webroot protection as my AV is about to end.  Among other things, I was wondering which one gives you a preview on the right hand side when you hover over the site name.

Can you suggest one?  I've found the WSA Internet Security Plus 2014 on offers.com for half price - £25.00!

Plus, can anyone tell me why my printer is suddenly missing lines of text when printing web pages, at the moment I'm having to save the pages to my laptop before they print properly, it prints fine when using Word, Powerpoint etc.

And is there a way to convert VGA to HDMI?  I've bought a HDMI cable to link my laptop to the TV but found that it's only got an VGA port (must save up and get a newer model) 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
If you can find WSA cheaper online by all means buy it there, you can swap in your Keycode in less than 10 seconds. As for the VGA->HDMI you can buy a cable converter on Amazon for a few euros/dollars. If your displaying something on a very large TV it may not look brilliant by the way.
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

How are you doing?  Long time no see.

Just a little note for you if you do buy a new license of WSA ISP; you will get a new license code and if your current version is either WSA ISAP or WSA C then when you activate your new lisence you will loose access to any Passwords storeed in the Password Manager, as this is controlled by the Web Console and linked to keycode.  Of course is you currently run WSA AV and are 'moving up' to WSA ISP then there is no issue as WSA AV does not have the Password Manager fucntionality enabled.

But if the former case is true then all you need to do is contact Support by Opening a Support Ticket and letting them know the old keycode, the new keycode adn asking them to transfer the Password Manager-related data from old to new.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi Baldrick!  

Yeah, long time, not really been having any bother with the old laptop so, unfortunately, haven't needed your 'expert advise' to sort me out!  Ha ha!

Not in any bother now really, apart from the printer being a bit temperamental, any ideas why it wont print from the web properly?

I've got WSA AV at the moment and thinking about  getting the WSA ISP, going by what you've said it won't cause any prob's regarding passwords - have I got that right?  Chrome is managing my current passwords so think those are safe.

As for the VGA/HDMI issue, the last VGA cables I saw were £24 for just a 3m and a converter box was £50, to convert VGA to HDMI, considering I got my 5m HDMI for a fiver surely there are cheaper ones than this available (sorry but don't know what that would be in $)  And would I really have to get a two-channel RCA to headphone jack cable for the audio side of things or as the lad in the 'Geeky' shop advised, can I just use an earphone aux cable?

Otherwise, I'm hunky dorey and full of beans!  Hope you are likewise!  :)
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Am afraid that I have no real answer as to the printer being a bit temperamental.  No ideas as to why it won't print from the web properly, but what I would do is try to prinet the same pages yo are having trouble with from another browser if you can (does nothurt to have more than one installed and yu can get portable vesions of all the main ones other that IE) and see if it is the same for each.

If it is then it suggests possibly a printer driver issue.  If the issue is browser dependant then you have your workaround...use the browser that works to print with from the web...until you can find a more permanent solution or change your hardware.  But also check that you have the latest version of your browser installed...just in case.

You have it right...the move from AV to ISP versions will not cause issues regaridng passwords as the former does not have the built in Password Manager...but given that you use Chrome to manage your passwords do you have a need for the ISP version as the only major difference between that and the AV version is that the ISP version also "Secures your smartphones and tablets"...so do you have either of those?

Well, things broadly OK here for me.  Hope that you have a great Bank Holiday weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi LoopyLinda, have you checked your printer drivers, updated them, or any loose connections, maybe a clean uninstall and reinstall of printer. Do you only have one printer? Search website of manufacturer of printer for errors or issues. HP are touchy so depends on your type of printer..maybe a corrupt file...not sure but just giving ideas of what can be done with printer.
Are you upgrading WSA? It shouldn't cause any problems if Chrome is managing your passwords tho. Let's see if anyone else responds to this post..hmmm
Have a great evening!
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi SSherjj,

Mmmm, lots to think about there, thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Well, as usual, you've all given me loads of great info, it'll keep me going all week to try everything. I'll get back to you all and let you know how I get on so that anyone with the same sort of prob can try the same. Thanks a bundle and have a stonking weekend! "Let the 4th be with you!!" 😉
Userlevel 7
Howdy Linda,

Ironically, I just spent some time this afternoon re-downloading the drivers for my Mom's HP printer.  Not sure what printer you have, but if it is an HP, you can get more info on HP's Drivers and Downloads page (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html)

Hope that helps!
- Jeff

(and "May the 4th be with you" too!)