Solved

Webroot and the Hosts file

• 7 July 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I have been using Webroot Security Complete for a couple of years now and presently have 4 devices protected.  I plan to add a fifth device in October when its ESET license expires.  I use the MVPS hosts file for ad blocking as opposed to using a browser extension such as Adblock.   I find it works quite well.  Now thinking back about ten years ago when Mydoom was rampant, the hosts file may present an attack vector for malicious software. The file may be modified, for example, by adware, computer viruses, or trojan horse software to redirect traffic from the intended destination to sites hosting malicious or unwanted content.] The widespread computer worm Mydoom.B blocked users from visiting sites about computer security and antivirus software and also affected access from the compromised computer to the Microsoft Windows Update website.  I fully understand that Webroot should block access to any malicious website, but I also noted that in the advanced settings under shields Webroot provides an option to prevent any program from modifying the hosts file.  When I activate that option by checking the box and saving the setting, I get a message “Note:  Although your settings will be saved locally your pc is currently centrally managed by the Web Console and your settings may be overwritten on the next database communication.”  Continuing, I get a message “configuration updated successfully.    If I exit the Webroot console and go back in that box is now unchecked.  My question is why Webroot unchecks that box and will not allow that option to remain active.
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 7 July 2017, 16:12

View original

3 replies

Hi tmitch06905,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Your PC is set to be centrally managed in the Web Console (managed by admin via the web console) so any settings changed in the WSA PC interface will be reverted. You need to log on to your Web Console and select "PC Security". Then click on the PC in question and check the settings under "Security Setting", this should be set to "User Configuration". If there's any other setting in that window then that PC can only be managed via the web console.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if you still have questions. We will be happy to help you. ;)

Cheers,
BD
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Thank you BurnDaddy.  This forum is just one more of many reasons why Webroot outshines the rest of the pack.

Thank you again,
Tom
@ wrote:
Thank you BurnDaddy.  This forum is just one more of many reasons why Webroot outshines the rest of the pack.

Thank you again,
Tom
You're very welcome, Tom. Glad I was able to assist you. Please come back anytime. There is usually always someone around who's willing to help. Thanks for the kind words regarding the Webroot Community forums, too. We are all here for this very reason. There aren't many other forums out there like this one. ;)

Hope to see you around,
BD