WebRoot and the need for Spybot

• 26 July 2013
  • 8 replies

A friend of mine uses Internet Security Plus. I have Complete.
Recently, she was experiencing a browser hijack (adds popping up in chrome) and I had her run her WebRoot and nothing was found. I then had her download and run Spybot, and it found 49 level 5 threats.

So my question is.... WebRoot does not find these kind of problems? I assumed it did.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Webroot has stated that they do not focus on software other than that which is a threat to the security of the system.
It if installs toolbars and takes over your search settings that may not be enough for them to detect it.

However, if this is indeed a very abusive software that's messing with other stuff I would contact their support.

If you have friends that aren't too smart about comptuer security I would look into software that focuses on Malware like applications. They really Bytes. You need both antivirus/antimalware and anti-user-installing-junk-on-their-computer.
Sounds like a plan and will let them know. Thanks for the answer 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Just to be clear - if it's doing something more than a simple toolbar and changing the search settings but lets you set it back - yeah I would contact Webroot support. They include technician-assisted removal of non-detected threats as part of the subscription.
No, her spybot got rid of the problem. I was just curious about the webroot thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Oh I re-read your additional post.

By the description yes Webroot SHOULD have detected that. Throwing up popups on unrelated sites and injecting crap into Firefox/Chrome is a no-no.

Sorry I didn't fully comprehend before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi rbruhn and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. 

Can you please Submit a Support Ticket and the support Threat Researchers can get a WSA scan log from you to let you know what happened and to make sure your system is clear of any malware.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hi, it's not my computer. It's a friend. She used spybot to remove it all, so probaby nothing there to send in. Thanks anyway though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you get her to contact support the WSA scan logs will still be there unless she uninstalled WSA?

Thanks,

Daniel