Solved

Webroot blocking Internet Explorer and Firefox

• 13 September 2014
  • 8 replies

Sometime during the day on September 3rd, something changed.  In the morning I was able to get onto the internet using IE and Firefox, and in the evening I was no longer able.  Chrome, however, continued to work okay.  Computer had been off during the day.

Took a few days of searching the internet and came across post from years ago suggesting internet security program was blocking a certain dll associated with IE.  Once the security program was turned off, IE came back.

So, I tried turning off Webroot Security, and lo-n-behold IE and Firefox work just fine. 

Kind of pointless to have Webroot Security if I can't browse with IE or Firefox.  Would like to get this resolved since I had no problems prior to 9/3. 

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 13 September 2014, 20:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Sometime during the day on September 3rd, something changed.  In the morning I was able to get onto the internet using IE and Firefox, and in the evening I was no longer able.  Chrome, however, continued to work okay.  Computer had been off during the day.

Took a few days of searching the internet and came across post from years ago suggesting internet security program was blocking a certain dll associated with IE.  Once the security program was turned off, IE came back.

So, I tried turning off Webroot Security, and lo-n-behold IE and Firefox work just fine. 

Kind of pointless to have Webroot Security if I can't browse with IE or Firefox.  Would like to get this resolved since I had no problems prior to 9/3. 

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
Welcome greengrass to the Community Forum,

Have you thought of going to System Restore?

I would like you to do a clean reinstall which usually fixes this issues with IE and FF.

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely! (This installer is not for a Mac.)

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If not then we will look at alternative avenues to try and solve this.

Best Regards,
Thanks, that seems to have worked ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks, that seems to have worked ! 

Hello greengrass,

Boondabah! Thanks for letting us know!:D

Also come on back when you can to join in with us for we have alot of fun and learn alot as we go helping others!

Have a Great Day!:D
I have had the same Internet Explorer problem on two different Windows 7 computers.

It took me quite a bit of time and googling to find the probelm since I had no reason to suspect WRSA.

If it makes any difference, I am using WRSA that is included with my MSN Premium subscription.

The uninstall (using Windows control panel) and reinstall didn't work. The reinstall was so quick that I suspect the uninstall was not complete.

This problem may  need a more in-depth solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello wrmiles!

Welcome to the Community!

Could you tell me what operating system you are using so that I can give you right instructions for an uninstall?
 EDIT
Excuse me wrmiles you did say W7. Please answer Daniels question below.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Can you post the download link used for the service?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
This same issue is continuing after applying the solution above. I can open Explorer, search once on Google or go to one websire; then I cannot change to any other website. If I try to close Explorer, it will not respond and I need to use Task Manager to close. Then I close webroot in the icon tray and Explorer will work fine. Please help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am sorry you are having these issues.

If you have already uninstalled/reinstalled Webroot as posted above. Then I'm not sure what else you can do.

Have you got the Lastest Adobe Flashplayer for IE and FF? That might help. Here is a post here with those updates... https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Adobe-Flash-Player-18-0-0-209-amp-Adobe-Shockwave-Player-12-1-9/m-p/208472#M16623

Other then that I'd advise you to submit a Support Ticket so that they can check this out for you free of charge with an active subscription.

? do you have anything you could add here?

Kind Regards,