Webroot breaks windows 10

I have found that on several instances a brand new out of the box computer with Windows 10 has Webroot installed and on reboot it goes to Automotic Repair - Automatic repair failed and you have to reset the PC.

Is there a fix for this or is anyone aware?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
I have found that on several instances a brand new out of the box computer with Windows 10 has Webroot installed and on reboot it goes to Automotic Repair - Automatic repair failed and you have to reset the PC.

Is there a fix for this or is anyone aware?
@,

We have received a few similar reports and are looking into it. Please Submit a Support Ticket.

Thanks,

-Dan
Did you get this fixed? When I reported this to WEbRoot in a ticket, I got asked to reproduce the error. I am not going to reboot, so I have to re-installe everything again in order to get the error.

Turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS will get you around the issue. This only seems to happen on new PC's with Win 10 pre-installed.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS will get you around the issue. This only seems to happen on new PC's with Win 10 pre-installed.
Interesting..and that makes a good bit of sense really.  Thank you for the feedback on this!
Userlevel 7
From what I have read about this opinion is divided as to whether this should be done or not...and also as to the benefits that Secure Boot provides.

What I can tell if you want to install the likes of Linux on a system then it is a necessity but other than that it is a toss up as to whether it helps or not.
Userlevel 4
I am actively looking for cases that this is happening on. I really would like a complete dump log.

If you need to know how to make a full dump log please click on this link

After it has issues booting up we need to get the dump from the computer.

Can you please do what ? suggested and turn off safe boot and try to get that log?

Please let me know if you are able to get this log.

Thanks,
John M.
Advanced Malware removal Engineer
I've definitely experienced this. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 running Windows 10. Installing Webroot -- which Best Buy, embarrassingly, gave me for FREE when I purchased the laptop -- made me have to restore the PC. (Took me three full times to figure out what was causing the problem.) At present, my laptop is currently protected only by Windows Defender... which is to say that it's pretty much un-defended. I'd like to use Webroot, which gets great marks from my friends, but I can't BEAR to have to restore the PC to its factory settings a fourth time. So...

When you release a fix to this problem, I hope you'll let me know!
Userlevel 7
?, Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Would you mind submitting a Trouble Ticket please?  Webroot Support IS aware of the issue and working on it, but it IS a overall pretty rare occurrence.  In order to help them fix it faster, please file a Trouble Ticket.

Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Im not understanding this issue at all. Is UEFI Secure Boot throwing an error message "Secure Boot Violation"?  Is Webroot modifying the second-stage boot path in any way? 
Userlevel 7
Good question Illumination!

To be honest I do not know.  I do know WSA runs very low in the system, but I do not know exactly when it starts.  Hopefully someone will give us the answer on that.