Webroot Filtering Extension

• 25 September 2014
  • 1 reply

Hey guys I have a couple of questions and concerns with the Webroot Filtering Extension, I want to know what is it exactly and does it need to be enabled in Internet Explorer and the reason I ask this is because when I tried loading a website with it enabled I automatically got a message saying Internet Explorer has stopped responding and i clicked check for a solution and close the program and then the tab refreshes and i get the same message and after two attempts it tells me Internet Explorer was unable to return me to the site. Now when I find it disabled Internet Explorer works just fine and all websites load up and all websites load up with this extension enabled in Google Chrome.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi jag2018

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Essentially the Web Filtering Extension handles the displaying of the reputation results for the web sites returned when searching with any of the major browsers, i.e, it provides the coloured indicator that appears to the left of each link dispalyed as a result of a search.

I am currently using the extension with IE11, Chrome, Forefox and a number of other Chrome-based browsers. I am not sure why it would behave as you described with just IE...butnthere have been other reports of this from time to time.

You could try an uninstall of WSA,reboot, followed by a clean install and a further reboot...but that may be a little radical, especially if you can browse with another browser.

Bottom line is that it does not need to be enabled in IE as it does not per se provide any protection whilst you surf...that is provided directly by WSA.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick