Solved

Webroot toolbar add ons remain in IE10 Windows 8 after uninstall of Webroot

• 20 August 2013
  • 31 replies

I uninstalled Webroot from Windows 8 64 bit, using the recommended deactivate/reboot method.  After uninstall and another reboot, going into IE10/Manage Add Ons, all three instances of Webroot, Webroot Vault, Webroot toolbar still remain.  How do I get a clean uninstall of Weboot and it's toolbars? 
icon

Best answer by MikeR 24 August 2013, 02:00

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Reldel, 

I do not think it has been corrected.  The Webroot Toolbar is technically a separate install/download from the WSA software, as it is a browser add-on (Extension in the case of Chrome...)  The last time I uninstalled WSA the browser add-ons remained, and needed to be manually removed from within the browser manage add-ons area.
Has this been corrected for Windows 8.1, IE 11?
Your welcome, I'll await a further reply upon implementation.
Userlevel 7
We have submitted a request to development and we will provide you with an update once it has been addressed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. :D
https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8772 Your Welcome Bob but we can wait and see if the Webroot Staff can come with another solution to remove the IE10 add-ons?

Daniel"

Agreed
Userlevel 7
@ - Roy, if CCleaner will work in cases that for some reason the toolbars are being stubborn, in your opinion is that worth adding to the Software Removal Tools thread I have going?
Userlevel 7
Ccleaner is free and has the ability to remove extensions from the various browsers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ Your Welcome Bob but we can wait and see if the Webroot Staff can come with another solution to remove the IE10 add-ons?

Daniel
Daniel,

Two of my three machines were 64bit, one 32bit.  I saw it on all three using uninstall through console on Windows 8.

Thanks for testing.

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ I did an Uninistall of WSA-C on my Win 8 Pro x64 and the IE10 add-ons remained.

Daniel 

Before Uninstall.

And after Uninstall and Reboot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I Unistalled via Start>All Programs>Webroot SecureAnywhere> Uninstalled and rebooted and there is no sign of Webroot in IE10 on my Win 7 x64.

I will test later on Win 8 VM and will update this thread. Can you tell me if your using 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks,

Daniel

Thanks to all for help.  Lets say for at least IE10 on Windows 8, the toolbar cannot easily be removed.  I removed it by using a backup image from before I installed Webroot. 
Userlevel 7
Well, the way MIke was showing is not for the program itself, it is for the toolbars.  Regardless of Windows Vista, 7 or 8, the uninstall of the toolbars IS separate from the uninstall of the main program: it is done via browser addons.  MikeR's image clearly shows that he is not removing the main program in his example but just the toolbars: he is in manage toolbars and extensions.  That is for the IE addons components and not the main Webroot program.

The toolbars are installed separately, so they do uninstall separately at this time, and not automatically as part of the main uninstaller.
I am well aware of how to uninstall a program using Windows method, but I thought Webroot was supposed to be done through the console.  Anyway, I have done Webroot uninstall through Windows and the toolbars remain in IE10 Windows 8 both 32 and 64 bits.

Disabling toolbars after uninstall of software does not seem particularly kosher to me.  A clean uninstall would be better.

Userlevel 7
Mike,

Forgive me for this... but I am learning here and it looks like different versions of Windows treat it differently.  I really am not trying to be a pest :)

OK, so it IS a bit different.  The Addons and Toolbars can be reached via Control Panel for Windows 8 but not Windows 7 I think.  My only remove option for Webroot is the main program, and it is not granular.  Main program only.  The Vault and Password Manager are not able to be removed via Programs  and Features on mine.  

My Windows 7 does not have that option in Programs area of the Control Panel.  Going through IE, Tools, Manage Addons I do get that... but the remove is disabled.. it will not remove from IE like I can remove it from Chrome.

Or am I missing something huge?

Userlevel 7
You would just click 'Manage Add-ons' and then 'Disable' which would bring up a more granualar menu where you could de-select the Webroot Toolbar and Webroot Vault.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Usually from the control panel. On Windows 8 you type 'Control Panel' when you are in the new start menu or metro mode and double-click on it. You then click 'Uninstall a Program' under 'Programs', select the program you wish to uninstall and then click 'Uninstall". 
So is the removal of PassWord Manager different in Windows 8 than in Windows 7? I do not have a listing to remove it in Programs, but I DO know in Google Chrome browser it is done from within the browser.  I have removed it previously. Here is a snippet from my Chrome Extensions management screen that shows it can be enabled/disabled or junked (removed)

Userlevel 7
Usually from the control panel. On Windows 8 you type 'Control Panel' when you are in the new start menu or metro mode and double-click on it. You then click 'Uninstall a Program' under 'Programs', select the program you wish to uninstall and then click 'Uninstall". 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I de-activated from the console, Webroot uninstalled automatically, I re-booted.

I can't recite a specific thread or post, however in a previous post I made in refrence to passwords, I believe I was told it was a method to remove password usage when it conflicted with IE Enhanced protective mode. 

Let's try looking at this another way, how do you uninstall Webroot?

Hi Reldel,

This must be the other thread you were talking about: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/How-to-discontinue-use-of-password-management/m-p/41462#M1557

Also you can Uninstall WSA XP to Win 7 from the Start button> All Programs> Open the Webroot SecureAnywhere Folder> Tools>  Uninstall Webroot and Reboot or Control Panel> Programs and look for Webroot SecureAnywhere and Uninstall and Reboot.

HTH,

Daniel

I de-activated from the console, Webroot uninstalled automatically, I re-booted.

I can't recite a specific thread or post, however in a previous post I made in refrence to passwords, I believe I was told it was a method to remove password usage when it conflicted with IE Enhanced protective mode. 

Let's try looking at this another way, how do you uninstall Webroot?

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I uninstalled Webroot from Windows 8 64 bit, using the recommended deactivate/reboot method.  
Just to clarify, when you say you used the recommended deactivate/reboot method, do you mean you deactivated Webroot from your system tray or from the MyWebroot online console? If you are referring to a specific thread in the Community, please provide the link so that I can reproduce the issue more accurately.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for bringing this up. I'll let you know if I can reproduce this issue and provide an update.
In the first sentence of this thread I indicated I followed the recommended uninstall method which included a reboot.  I tried several reboots since, no different outcome.

I decided during the day to uninstall my remain two machines, again following the methods described in this forum.  Both machines had he same remnants as the first.  Toolbars remained in IE10 and numerous registry and files remained in Windows.
NOT desireable in my estimation.  I used backups of all machines to remove Webroot remnants.

I am good but I think Webroot needs to clean-up its un-install process.
Userlevel 7
If you reboot following uninstallation, is the toolbar still present? Some browsers require a system reboot, though I'm not sure if IE10 is one of them off the top of my head.
Using the link from Microsoft and following the steps does not remove the Webroot Toolbars from IE10.