Solved

Which Zip Archive software ??

Userlevel 1
Hello, 

I have tried today to install a new Zip / Archive software, replacing my old Win Rar.

Both (official) Winzip and WinRar have been blocked by WSA during install, for a specific malware element. So I installed none. 

Oh, yeah, WSA turned red, quarantined the element (downloaded from developper site), and worked quite well and fast at it. But I'm still without Zip program ;)

What Zip / Archive soft is considered by WSA as valid and safe ... (without having to edit the Zip prog in regedit) ??

Thanks for your advices !

icon

Best answer by Baldrick 2 August 2014, 12:34

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Funny I have both and WinZip comes with PUA's just make sure you uncheck them during install and WinRAR doesn't have any if you get it from them directly. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

More info about Webroot and PUA's. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Webroot-s-position-on-PUA/m-p/40404#M448

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And I just installed WinZIP 18.5 64bit and I didn't see anything so if your installing the 32bit version when installing choose Custom install to see if there are any and uncheck them!

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 1
Thanks !

Yeah, my old WinRar never woke WSA up though .. but it was installed before...

That was the (official) trial version. It didn't offer a custom install or it was well hid 🙂 ... and WSA was so prompt to alert, blocked the install, etc..

Funny, yes, I also tried Izarc (I used years ago) but the same happened ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks !

Yeah, my old WinRar never woke WSA up though .. but it was installed before...

That was the (official) trial version. It didn't offer a custom install or it was well hid 🙂 ... and WSA was so prompt to alert, blocked the install, etc..

Funny, yes, I also tried Izarc (I used years ago) but the same happened ...

Like I said I have and use both WinZIp & WinRAR and WinRAR does not have a custom install but there should not be anything detected as there are no add-ons (PUA's).

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi Tabazan

It is true that more and more of what is seen as 'mainline' or 'popular' software is coming 'bundled' with what for many of us are 'undesirables'...LOL

But I am puzzled by what you are seeing as I am a long time user of WinZip (but have tried all the others that you have mentioned, plus the likes of 7-Zip, PowerArchiver, etc.) and have never seen that behaviour.

And just to check I unistalled the latest version of WinZip (18.5) downloaded a new copy and reinstalled it with WSA active...and not a shout or even a titter from WSA.

If you have followed Daniel's advice and no joy then a Support Ticket is the best approach (also as suggested by Daniel) as I suspect there is a clash with something in your installation.

Let us know how it works out for you...I am particularly interested in your circumstances.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Here are the files dectected by WSA on these progs

All come from WinZip, Izarc and WinRar official installers. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Welcome and Hello Tabazan! I'm sorry we cannot see you image of those files because of being a Frequent Voice and our moderator isn't available to approve these files!
VIP RANKS LOOK HERE

@ wrote:

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I can't approve images only Webroot Staff sorry.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I strongly recommend 7-Zip.:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ams963. ...I personally have used this program 7Zip in the past and forgot about this one..it's been around for a long time.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I strongly recommend 7-Zip.:)
Ditto!

I have been using 7 Zip for years. Never had a problem with it and it works very well.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Hi Tabazan,

Sorry, I cant see your image as it has not yet been approved by a moderator as Sherry explained.

I take it that it is a warning/message referencing a file or program that came bundled with the Winzip installer.

As TripleHelix and Baldrick have advised, when downloading from the official site, unchecking the additional software that is bundled prevents the unwanted applications from being installed.

Have you tried a manual scan?  Is the message in the image that the file has been quarantined?

Best to submit support ticket as TripleHelix and Baldrick suggested, and include this link to this thread.

Please do let us know how everything is and come often and share your experiences!

Beth

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've approved the images so they should be showing for everyone now.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Hi Tabazan!

We can see the image now thanks to our moderator Nic.

pcspeemaximizer, in your download folder, is one if those PUA's bundled with the software downloader used to download Win Zip

WSA caught it and more than likely put it in quarantine.

Next time you download, follow TripleHelix's advise, uncheck any additional software offered dur install process and you will avoid the extras being installed.

Hope you will come back often and share your experiences!

Beth
Userlevel 7
7zip is the only one I would use, Winzip is long past it at this stage. Windows has native zip support out of the box however.
Userlevel 7
Rakanisheu wrote:

7zip is the only one I would use, Winzip is long past it at this stage. Windows has native zip support out of the box however.
Hi Roy

I would respectfully beg to differ on that point, as in its v18.5 incarnation WinZip is bang up to date and far more functionally rich than 7zip...IMHO.

I run both on different machines, and use them both to meet different requirements.  Sure, WinZip is paidware whilst 7zip is freeware...but to be honest it really depends on what you are looking for/need from your compression tool...and many will do find with the native support.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I use Bandzip it does the job for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters! :D

Since we are on the subject I use WinRar and Windows native out of box version as Roy has mentioned and I use the Unarchiver for my Mac OS. I have used Winzip also and believe I'm running that on my other W/Vista.

These programs all work for what I use them for. It's just a preference isn't it for what you need or like?;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Never tried 7zip and I have WinRAR Lifetime License and it's so simple and WinZip I have been using it from the Beginning and I like them both IMHO.

Daniel 😉