Solved

Why does Webroot block Express VPN

• 19 September 2016
  • 12 replies

Why does Webroot block Express VPN? It is telling me that the ExpressVPN site is malicious but the site and the product get great reveiws.
thanks
icon

Best answer by DanP 19 October 2017, 17:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes i noticed that VPN's are now being treated differently for awhile now as I had to white-list mine and I don't have to anymore. Great job Webroot.

@ wrote:
The way we handle VPN URLs has changed since this thread started, and it is being handled better than it was, but we'd still like to improve on that.

That's good to know, Dan. Thanks for that info.;)

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
A query and a couple comments from a layperson (non-technical).
Cant understand why I only got the pop-up message on my mobile version and not my laptop.  I am running EVPN and WR on both.

If I remember correctly them message mentioned (paraphrase)
EVPN is "known for adware (right term?) and malware".   There is a big difference between the two and it makes a big difference as to whether you would change your VPN service.  

I think I got the gist: the security reasons for the block as WR can lose its ability to monitor whats happening.  It would be great if:
The message were simplified to include
1) Due to current security policies Webroot flags all VPN products as they.........
2) Had a link to section that:
2.1)  Advised on current Best Practices for a basic end user, and
2.2)  Explained one's options.  The question I have is "Policy aside, am I more or less safe using a VPN service that masks me on the internet." or basically "The coverage you get from WR should adequately cover you when you travel and use public wi-fi"

Thanks for all your info to date
CM59  

Please Submit a Support Ticket for this. That site should not be getting blocked, but I can confirm that we are seeing it blocked on mobile.

The way we handle VPN URLs has changed since this thread started, and it is being handled better than it was, but we'd still like to improve on that.

-Dan
A query and a couple comments from a layperson (non-technical).
Cant understand why I only got the pop-up message on my mobile version and not my laptop.  I am running EVPN and WR on both.

If I remember correctly them message mentioned (paraphrase)
EVPN is "known for adware (right term?) and malware".   There is a big difference between the two and it makes a big difference as to whether you would change your VPN service.  

I think I got the gist: the security reasons for the block as WR can lose its ability to monitor whats happening.  It would be great if:
The message were simplified to include
1) Due to current security policies Webroot flags all VPN products as they.........
2) Had a link to section that:
2.1)  Advised on current Best Practices for a basic end user, and
2.2)  Explained one's options.  The question I have is "Policy aside, am I more or less safe using a VPN service that masks me on the internet." or basically "The coverage you get from WR should adequately cover you when you travel and use public wi-fi"

Thanks for all your info to date
CM59  

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Why-does-Webroot-block-Express-VPN/m-p/267833#M10168
Userlevel 7
Hi bearbrain

BrightCloud assess various paramteres related to a site (the process is complex and involved) and then give it a reputation as to its 'goodliness'. If you look on the Reputation Change Request site http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/change-request-url-reputation.php you will see an explanation of the classifications.

As Daniel has quite correctly advised we do not have any say in that process and therefore the only thing that can be done is as per his advice.

Hope that clarifies?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
That was fast! Thanks Baldrick. I have Trustzone.

I didn't really understand the information, by the way, but I see that the Express VPN appears unsafe.
That is not the meaning, there is nothing wrong with Express VPN it's by policy that most VPN's services are blocked by the Web Shield.
That was fast! Thanks Baldrick. I have Trustzone.

I didn't really understand the information, by the way, but I see that the Express VPN appears unsafe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't make policy but if you would like to ask Submit a Support Ticket or call the office closest to you and ask them. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us
Userlevel 7
Hi bearbrain

Have checked the BrightCloud Reputation service and they have this to say about Express VPN:

?
So if you think that this reputation is uncalled for then you will need to contact BrightCloud and request a review of the reputation. This can be done via this link:

http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/change-request-ip-reputation.php

Regards, Baldrick
Why is it 'by policy'? Is there something dangerous about a VPN? I had one in China from a different company and it didn't cause any trouble at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Yes WSA will block most VPN services and it's by policy and I will ping ? on this to see what she has to say. You can click on the allow button to bypass the block.

Thanks,

Daniel