Why Does Webroot stop windows 7 Copy & paste from woking in some programs

• 16 May 2015
  • 1 reply

I have tested this on 3 different pc's and it seems to be the cause of Copy & Paste works  in some programs
from statup with Webroot started copy and past will not work, you copy the texted needed and paste in in a blank field and the field stays blank kin the program........ go to editpad and it past fine go back to selected program and it will not paste.
Turn off your program Webroot and full function returns to Copy & Paste????    I took me a month to figure out which program was causing this issue, how about a fix.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi ontherun

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What you need to do is to check out what WSA has configured as part of the Identifity Shield/Protection Feature, as that is most likely the 'issue' you are reporting is a case of WSA ‘Overprotection’...and as such configuration may be the answer and no fixing is required.

If you have not already please navigate from the main app panel under the Identity Protection tab > click on gear/cog symbol to the right > click on Application Protection tab, and once there look for an entry under the 'Application' column that corresponds to the application that you are finding you cannot cust/paste from, and then check to see the setting that has been set to the right hand side of the entry; it will be on of Protect, Allow, or Deny:

- "Allowed applications" are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as "Deny," you can change it to "Allow."

- "Protected applications" are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. By default, web browsers are assigned to the "protected" status. If desired, you might also want to add other software applications to "protected," such as financial management software. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock.

- "Denied applications" cannot view or capture protected data on the system, but can otherwise run normally.

Hopefully this will chime with/explain what you have been seeing, and if the application is not listed then just use the 'Add Application' button to navigate to the appropriate folder and select the applciation component you want to allow or protect or deny under the Protection feature.

If that does not explain or help you resolve the 'issue' then I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket, providiong a link to this thread, so that the Suport Team can take a look at and hopefully resolve your particular case.

Please do feedback as to how this issue goes for you and how resolved.

Regards, Baldrick