Why is this happening a few times a week ?

" An error occurred while attempting to contact the server. Please check your Internet Connection ". Even though I know for sure that my Internet Connection is working as it is supposed to, this warning still pops up.

How can this be fixed once and for all ?

12 replies

Here is an update to my original posting. All across the top of my screen is the Red warning with the message that  " an error has occurred ". The Webroot Icon at the very top right hand corner turns Yellow. If I click on the "X"; the Red Warning goes away and the Webroot Icon turns from Yellow to Green.

This has happened again... even while typing this update.
Sure would be nice if I could edit my posting instead of posting once again on the same subject but I forgot to add this to my initial message. The " error...... happens when logging on to the Password Manager.
Userlevel 7
Hello Robert,

Have you tried other Browsers and does it do the same thing with them? If so I would try a Clean uninstall / Reinstall of WSA. If that doesn't solve the problem then something on the Back End at Webroot probably needs to be fixed using a Support Ticket.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If not then Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you sort your issue!
Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.
Greetings Dave and thanks for the reply. All seems well as of now. I think what was going on was that Firefox was downloading the latest 59.0.1 version at the same time that Windows was installing an update as well as an Adobe update and there was too much going on at the moment.

Ive used my computer a few times since, and the initial error indicating a problem with trying to contact the server has not popped up since. Much obliged to all who chimed in with excellent advice.
Userlevel 7
Your're welcome Robert. We are always here to help. :D

This is NOT solved.  I get this error several times per hour.  I uninstalled and reinstalled as advised and I still get the red banner with the error message.  I have been a webroot user for at least 5 years and have never had this issue before the last couple of weeks.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This is NOT solved.  I get this error several times per hour.  I uninstalled and reinstalled as advised and I still get the red banner with the error message.  I have been a webroot user for at least 5 years and have never had this issue before the last couple of weeks.
These posts were posted before we knew what the problem was. Solved Solution has been taken off the above post. This problem has not been solved, but will be solved in January or mid February. See This Post
Every now and then this still happens....maybe 3 times a Month. I dont anything when it happens, I just let whatever is happening take its course. Eventually it works itself out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
This worked for me.  Glad to have the ability to download the Webroot software with my 20 digit install code embedded. 
Badge +1
This happens on two sites Ancestry.com and Webroot.
I find if I access the Ancestry.com site through the Password Manager I do not get the error message, however I do get it when logging into Webroot to access the site.
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Every day this occurs. "An error occurred while attempting to contact the server. Please check your Internet connection.".... Tried toolbar fix. The same. Occurs just sitting at desktop as well as surfing. Nothing wrong with internet. Very Annoying. What is going on?
Badge +3
I have the same issue. using a MAC; Mojave Version 10.14.3 I use Chrome mostly.
I opened a support ticket, and was told to call. I did that, but the wait time was over 30 minutes. Can't do that!
All of the things posted above are happening,
This is what I have received from Tech Support:
(1/16/19) Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We would like to inform you that a solution to the ‘Webroot Password Manager/Toolbar Failure to Connect’ issue you brought to our attention has been put into motion. While we do not yet have a firm date for availability, we do expect this solution to be released between the end of January and mid-February 2019.

(2/26/19) Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this. We are more than happy to assist you, but are going to need more information to do so. To approach this issue, please call us at 1-866-612-4227 during normal business hours so we can look into this issue over the phone. Webroot's Customer Support business hours are 7:00 am to 6:00 pm, MST, Monday through Friday.

Be forewarned: There is a very long preamble telling you to use the website before you actually get to the tech support line.. hopefully your wait time will be shorter than mine!