Solved

Windows 8.1 upgrade

• 17 October 2013
  • 52 replies

This morning, when I attempted to upgrade my Windows 8.0 x64 system from the Microsoft Store to Windows 8.1, the file downloaded just fine, but when it attempted to install the upgrade, I kept getting error code 0x80070057.  I tried googling this, but had no luck.  I then disabled Webroot Secure Anyware and the upgrade was able to complete with no problem.  I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem, but I thought that I would share my experience.

Steve
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 7 November 2013, 23:55

View original

52 replies

Userlevel 7
I updated 3 PC`s in the office here to 8.1 with no issues. It may have been that the windows store was a bit busy with the offical update?
Again, it was only when I disabled Webroot that the upgrade was able to complete. Who knows, maybe it was something else on my system that caused the problem. My solution was to disable Webroot which allowed the file, already downloaded to my machine, to compete its' installation.

My only interest in posting this was to share my experience just in case other users had the same error code.
Userlevel 7
One of the VM`s threw up the same error but I waited a few minutes and clicked update again and I worked. I am guessing server load at the moment but it was certainly worth posting the info! Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Thank you for letting us know about this.  We are currently watching the Windows 8.1 update going through.

As a tip, it is often recommended to deactivate your AV solution when going through an OS upgrade of this magnitude.  As the machine will be focused only on this upgrade, it will not be at risk.  You can reload/reactivate it upon the start of the new OS.

Please let us know if you have any further issues or notice anything else and we will look into it all more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I updated 2 VM's to 8.1 32bit & 64bit with no issues and leaving WSA on. Just for info.

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I've been running 8.1 with WSA in an enterprise setting, no problems found.
Userlevel 6
So after some digging, we found that there may have been an issue at the Microsoft server level with the amount of traffic coming in.  They were not expecting such a high turnout for the updates, thus causing issues with the downloading and installing.

Please let me know if you run into any further issues with the upgrade and we will escalate it from there.

Richard
Updated to Windows 8.1 64bit PRO from Windows 8.0 64bit Pro.
No issues and I have EMET 4.0, ESET 7 AV, Outpost Firewall Premium and Sandboxie 4.06 64bit running on the same machine.
I had the same problem. Disabled and uninstalled Webroot, and all went well. I had tried other suggested solutions (unplug USB devices, clean boot, but to no avail)
You will have to get the update from windows updater. Run the update - reboot and go to the Win store and will work just fine!! I hope that help you out- if not let me!!
My upgrade went through without a hitch....EXCEPT...I can no longer use Password Manager or load the Webroot Toolbar...according to error message the toolbar is not not compatible with WIN 8.1...WIN 8.0 was not a problem...anyonbe have ANY suggestions how to get either of these back up and running.

I use the same 2 programs. They work fine for me.
I'm getting an error message that Webroot Toolbar is "incompatible" with WIN 8.1...are you saying that you are not having this problem...I'm wondering if I should reload WAS and start from scratch.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm getting an error message that Webroot Toolbar is "incompatible" with WIN 8.1...are you saying that you are not having this problem...I'm wondering if I should reload WAS and start from scratch.
It would not hurt to do that, but probably not needed.  You might try running this Toolbar fix utility: it should reinstall the toolbar only.  
http://download.webroot.com/toolbarfix.exe

I have heard of a few people getting that error, but Webroot support states that although they have also experienced the error that things are actually compatible.  The Windows Compatibility checker seems to have an issue even though no issue may actually be there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello everyone if you have issues with WSA & Win 8.1 both x86 & x64 please do a clean reinstalt of WSA if the toolbar fix that David suggested above does not work! To do a clean reinstall Download a fresh copy of WSA Here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall REBOOT then install with the new installer and let it finish it's install scan then REBOOT once again then check your Browsers as I can only show for IE 11 & Firefox 24 because I don't use Chrome please see pictures below. But notice the latest release of Java still remains incompatible.

HTH,

Daniel

Daniel
THANK YOU! You're right about other option not working...this problem has been driving me crazy...I'll give your solution a try and report back but I have a good feeling about your solution!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let us know the outcome! ;)

Also from Win 8.1 Pro x64 Action Center!

Thanks,

Daniel
You are very welcome. TazzerMan:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
You are very welcome. TazzerMan:D
Your Welcome for what may I ask?

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I am going to share some tech support for people who are having  problems with the Password Management Toolbar in IE 11... I have not seen anyone post a fix for this issue other than uninstalling/re-installing and using the Toolbar Fix app which by the way does not work without following the steps below... Here ya go;

Note
  • Enhanced Protected Mode helps protect your PC from malware and other attacks. Only turn off Enhanced Protected Mode if you're sure about increasing the level of risk to your PC   [list=1]
  • Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
  • Tap or click the Tools button [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/6.2/main/f2d3a394-a4c3-4747-989e-cf3f6b782b2f_43.jpg[/img], and then tap or click Internet options.
  • On the Advanced tab, under Security, clear the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode check box, and then tap or click OK. You'll need to restart your PC before this setting takes effect.   I would encourage WR programmers to build into their code as a work around for this to eliminate turning off EPM in IE 11. This is only applicable for IE 11.... Older versions of IE, all Chrome and FF should be fine.   All this and at NO CHARGE... Webroot wasn't any help regarding this issue so I found a resolve on my own.. Good luck and this should take care of anyone who is having this problem in W 8.1/ IE 11  
[/list]
Just got off the phone with support and the problem is IE 11...NOT WIN 8.1...they claim they are working on it and there should be an automatic update to deal with this issue in about two weeks.
Im new here. IE 11 and windows 8.1 user.
I cant even start IE from desktop but only from start (and the funny win 8 IE version)

I re-installed WSA and used the toolbar fix, but still get incompatibility from the toolbar add-ons. I'll try disabling Enhanced protected mode next and apply the toolbar fix next.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Read my post above people...
@ I tried that. No change. Still incompatible.
Again, the problem is MS Explorer 11...Webroot is aware of the incompatibility problem and expects to release a fix in two weeks...I've been told the fix is the ONLY solution!