Solved

Windows 8.1 upgrade

• 17 October 2013
  • 52 replies

This morning, when I attempted to upgrade my Windows 8.0 x64 system from the Microsoft Store to Windows 8.1, the file downloaded just fine, but when it attempted to install the upgrade, I kept getting error code 0x80070057.  I tried googling this, but had no luck.  I then disabled Webroot Secure Anyware and the upgrade was able to complete with no problem.  I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem, but I thought that I would share my experience.

Steve
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 7 November 2013, 23:55

View original

52 replies

Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on Windows 8.1 upgrade

(Leaker claims only some Windows 8.1 users will get free Windows 9 upgrades)

By Gregg Keizer
Computerworld | Sep 29, 2014 2:05 PM PT

Microsoft will offer some Windows 8.1 users a free upgrade to the next edition, tentatively labeled as Windows 9, a notorious spiller of the company's secrets said today.

According to Wzor, Windows 9 will be a free upgrade from some but not all copies of Windows 8.1. For those currently running Windows 7, the upgrade will come with a price tag. Wzor publicized the claims in a short series of tweets today.
But the free upgrade deal has a big caveat.

ComputerWorld/ full article here/ http://www.computerworld.com/article/2688806/leaker-claims-only-some-windows-8-1-users-will-get-free-windows-9-upgrades.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it was behind the scene's and it's great to hear it's working for you! As I'm using IE11 on Win 7 VM to post this!

Daniel 😉
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Thanks for the advice, TripleHelix.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled WSA with a reboot and am still finding the Webroot Toolbar and Vault showing up as incompatible in IE11 Win 8.1 x64.  I have tried with IE Protected Mode turned off, and I have also tried the Toolbar fix, all to no avail.  Is any one else still having problems with these WSA add-ons after upgrading to Windows 8.1/IE 11?  (WSA virus and malware protection are running fine.)
Hello JBB and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

:

"Full IE11 support will be in place in the next update. We're waiting for some final testing but should have it out soon."

That sounds like good news!

HTH,

Daniel
Hi, TripleHelix,

My Webroot Toolbar and Webroot Vault are now enabled in IE11 Win 8.1 x64.  After I installed the latest recommended Windows update (available about a day ago) and restarted, a message popped up to enable the Webroot add-ons and now all password functions appear to work as expected.  I don't know if WSA was also recently updated - I appear to be running v8.0.4.24.  Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ah, I found the issue. LastPass only had their code ready with fixes on November 4th. Even worse, it's a major release rather than a simple bugfix release. Webroot is probably working their asses off trying to wrap all their custom coding around it. I would not want to be them right now.
Sorry I doubted you @. :$
https://lastpass.com/upgrade.php?fromwebsite=1&releasenotes=1

I will give you that one if it is the reason! LOL

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
They really chewed the cud on this one almost if not worse than Windows ME yuk.

Daniel :@
Hm... nah.  Windows ME was just plain the #1 worst Windows release ever in my opinion LOL!  I was running a computer shop at the time of release.  We didn't use it on computer builds.  Period.

:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Ah, I found the issue. LastPass only had their code ready with fixes on November 4th. Even worse, it's a major release rather than a simple bugfix release. Webroot is probably working their asses off trying to wrap all their custom coding around it. I would not want to be them right now.
Sorry I doubted you @. :$
https://lastpass.com/upgrade.php?fromwebsite=1&releasenotes=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
They really chewed the cud on this one almost if not worse than Windows ME yuk.

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@  That's what I mean blame Microsoft.................. not Webroot! There is nothing but issues with the upgrade to Win 8.1 via my MVP channels and it's unbelievable.

Daniel
In a very roundabout, indirect, and overly long way, that is exactly who I was blaming with my comment.  

It really has NOT been a smooth release at all: many software vendors seem to have been caught offguard with last minute or unexpected changes.

🙂  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@  That's what I mean blame Microsoft.................. not Webroot! There is nothing but issues with the upgrade to Win 8.1 via my MVP channels and it's unbelievable.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
To be completely fair to Joe and everyone else at Webroot, other AV vendors also had problems when Windows 8.1 actually rolled out, yet before rollout thier products had already been patched for Windows 8.1 compatibility.  The patches ended up not working for them either.  Why?  Your guess is as good as mine, but it seems to me that somewhere between the time that compatibility testing was begun and Windows 8.1 was actually released, something in 8.1 was changed to the extent that it broke the work that was done to accomodate it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Now why would you want to pick on Joe I'm sure there is a good reason he may say or not.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
So, uh, @ how did Webroot not know that Windows 8.1 was coming out?.... Pretty sure it was on the news.  :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry it means Hope This Helps. :S

Daniel
Great!  Thanks, TripleHelix - and JoeJ, too.  That does, indeed, sound like good news!

(By the way, TripleHelix, is 'HTH' short for 'Happy to Help' or for 'Helix-turn-helix'?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for the advice, TripleHelix.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled WSA with a reboot and am still finding the Webroot Toolbar and Vault showing up as incompatible in IE11 Win 8.1 x64.  I have tried with IE Protected Mode turned off, and I have also tried the Toolbar fix, all to no avail.  Is any one else still having problems with these WSA add-ons after upgrading to Windows 8.1/IE 11?  (WSA virus and malware protection are running fine.)
Hello JBB and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

:

"Full IE11 support will be in place in the next update. We're waiting for some final testing but should have it out soon."

That sounds like good news! ;)

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Thanks a lot Dan...with a little work my wifes laptop is running great.
Like New out of the box
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I personally have always believed to err on the side of caution,and before you do any type of upgrade

number 1)backup to an external drive first
2)remove all security software and corresponding registry entries(using programs like ccleaner and jvpowertools only select the entries that pertain to the security software..to let them do any more than that runs a risk of doing damage to your system files which can and has ineterfered in downloading the 8.1 upgrade from the app store(several cases of download resetting at 50%..etc)
running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt can let you know of issues that may arise during an upgrade..corrupted files.If it says it can't fix them all,and you are upgrading from 8 to 8.1,you can use your existing 8.0 disks and do an in place upgrade install(you will not lose any of your programs or files).After doing this you will have to redownload all your windows updates,but you will not lose any files.At this point your system is total clean and void of corrupt system files that could get in the way of an 8.1 install.Also be sure to run this in advance and remove and or update any programs it flags as incompatable windows 8.1 upgrade assistant

This is more of an FYI type post that some may find useful.I have used this procedure on several systems now that had issues to get them to upgrade from 8 to 8.1.

Regards,
Dan
Userlevel 7
You dont have to disable Webroot to update to 8.1 I have done it on 3 seperate PC`s with WSA running with no issues. 
Badge +9
I installed on one laptop with Webroot running and had no problems at all. Then I tried installing on an HP Envy X2 an failed twice before I wised up and deactivated Webroot.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Good tip..... That is a must when installing W8/8.1. You will have to deativate AV to have a successful install.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
As a tip, it is often recommended to deactivate your AV solution when going through an OS upgrade of this magnitude.  As the machine will be focused only on this upgrade, it will not be at risk.  You can reload/reactivate it upon the start of the new OS.
That's a good tip. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You can set IE 11 or 10 for that matter, to open on the desktop from IE tools, internet options, in the drop down, set IE to open on desktop... etc...
We should also keep in mind that the Metro/Modern IE 11 is differrent than the desktop version, both of which are resident in Win 8 and Win 8.1 except of RT tablets. If you use the Metro/Modern "App" version most if not all toolbars and add ons will not function. The trick is to use the desktop version if you are able. The desktop version is on the "Program Files (x86)" folder. I believe the App/Modern version is in the regular "Program Files" folder. Ths may be helpful, or I may be mistaken, but that is worth a look.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Funny BostonJeff.... I had the same problem and was told by WR the same thing however, I found this fix on my own and it worked if the steps are followed. I do encourage that WR adjust the code to  include a fix where you do not have to disable the EP Mode which if you have suffecientquality Firewalls and other internet security enabled, then you should not have a problem with this work around...