Windows defender

I cannot use Webroot along side Windows Defender on the one pc here with Windows 8, but on the other computers we have are Windows 7 and both run together. I looked at Webroot's solutions, but that complete set of options in advenced settings is not what I see on this pc with Windows 8

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello barjo4 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Do you feel comfortable doing registry changes? But I don't see the need to as WSA is much better than Windows Defender can ever be!

Windows Defender Tweak if users want to run with WSA on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 detects other AVs in the Action Center and blocks Defender from becoming active.

You can create a value of type DWORD named HideActionCenter (under HKLMSoftwareWRData on 32bit or for 64bit HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData) set to '1' and reboot and it will prevent Webroot from adding into the Action Center to allow Defender to stay active.

TH

Webroot is not prevented from working. If you look at the question, it is Windows Defender that is not allowed to work. I do not have Windows 8.1, I have Windows 8.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

This decision applies and  to windows 8
I don't really want to get into the registry, so perhaps I will uninstall Webroot for this pc only
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Why WSA is much better than WD! :@

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Read this thread:

Turn Windows Defender On or Off
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Turn-Windows-Defender-On-or-Off/m-p/40232#M1147

Windows Defender is a definitions-based system, whereas WSA works on a cloud-based classification model. The benefit gained by running both is that you are layering your protection. WSA allows for this by running properly alongside other AV solutions. That said, instances in which Windows Defender catches something WSA doesn't are exceedingly rare. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Why WSA is much better than WD! :@

TH
That's true, I fully agree with TH :D
Of course this is only my subjective opinion, however I think these programs come from two different worlds - it's a clash of an ordinary, average software (WD) with the effective technology of tomorrow (WSA) availabe already today ;)

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Webroot is not prevented from working. If you look at the question, it is Windows Defender that is not allowed to work. I do not have Windows 8.1, I have Windows 8.
Also why haven't you upgraded to 8.1 it's free upgrade at the Windows store! Also Windows 8.1 Update 1 is coming April 11 th 2014 but you need to have Windows 8.1 installed to get it.

TH
Whether or not I like Windows 8 or 8.1 is not relevant. I am not the only person who prefers Windows 7. I recently installed software that mkes the desk top look and work like Windows 7 - a lifetime charge of $10 and now I don't mind using it.

As for whether Windows Defender is not as good as Webroot  wasn't part of my question. I just wanted to know why I could not use it with Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey there is no problems with giving advice you do as you like as I do!

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also it's a must to upgrade to Windows 8.1 within 24 months to keep receiving Windows patches.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241230/Microsoft_mandates_Windows_8.1_upgrade?pageNumber=1

TH
Actually, I now have Windows 7 on that PC. I bought a licenced copy and installed it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And you can still run Windows Defender on Win 7 with out issues as it's only an Anti-Spyware but IMO it's not needed. On Win 8.1 it's a full Anti-Malware very confusing with the same name! :@

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi barjo4,

With WSA on Windows 7 I would definately give it a rest with WD, but of course this is only my humble opinion ;)

Regards,

Mike