Solved

Windows Defender and Webroot.

• 7 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Will they be a happy couple or will they be constantly fighting each other to see who's the best. I recently purchased a new HP computer with Windows 10 installed and just a few days ago I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition.
I recall when initially purchasing my Webroot edition it was suggested ( and performed ) to un-install the Norton Anti-Virus prior to installing Webroot. It was explained that two separate Security Software's sometimes don't get along with each other. What say the Webroot Team?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 7 August 2016, 17:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ROBERT1725

Hope that yo are well?

A good question which is very topical. 

In general WSA plays well with 3rd party AV/AM applications...it is designed to do so from the ground up (other than with one or two we know about). However, in the case of WD, things are a little different & unilateral in this area.

Previous to the Anniversay Update I would have advised that WD automatically disables itself if it detects another anti-malware applicaiton installed (there is a way to make WD work with another AM applicaiton but it requires a Registry tweak...which is not really for all but the most assured technically).

However, with the Anniversary Update, WD receives a new feature, what Microsoft are calling 'Limited Periodic Scanning'.
As I understand this, it can automatically turn itself on and scan your system occasionally, even if you have another antivirus program installed, thereby making use of WD as a second layer or protection, or a “second opinion” on whether your computer is infected.

To enable this feature is enabled go to 'Settings' > 'Update & Security' > 'Windows Defender' & turn on the 'Limited Periodic Scanning' feature. Note that, apparently, this option will only be visible if a 3rd party AV/AM applicaiton is installed, i.e., it is not on by default.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you Baldrick, your explanation was quite helpful. I noticed that the Anniversary Update comes with a bunch of apps that cant be deleted by the end user. Not very happy about that. Microsoft continues to shove down our throats a bunch of stuff the end user may not want. My so called high speed Internet connection took an entire day to completely install ....maybe I need an upgrade to my Internet provider. Right now I have a 97Mbps download speed and a 34Mbps upload speed. Much obliged for your assistance, Webroot is performing perfectly.
Userlevel 7
Hi ROBERT1725

You are most welcome.

In terms of the extra features you have mentioned...I have seen these too but as far as I can tell that unless you actually run them then they are essentially 'dormant'...and some of them look quite interesting & useful...but that may just be me. ;)

I am surprised as to what you say about the time to update. I have a 51 Mbps connection (download) and the update too just over 1 hour to complete in its entirety...so not sure what is different/what was happening at your end.

Glad to see that WSA is performing...as expected (but then again n ot surprised because a lot of tsting has been done).

Regards, Baldrick