wrdata folder

• 5 February 2012
  • 88 replies

Show first post

88 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Baldrick,,
In my case, the larger files are added any time I uninstall and reinstall a progam. A large data file is left in the folder. You might check after any program is changed on your system to see if it left a new larger file in the wrdata folder.
snake
Userlevel 7
Hi Snake

Thanks...have been through this process a couple of times so I am aware of this...and have done so in the past. What I am actually doing is trying to find a specific pattern to why, in my case...and perhaps for others, there is the growth in the folder.

But your suggestion is welcome.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Baldrick,,
You can safely delete the larger older files ,,,However I would advise you to contact Webroot support and allow them to upload the wrdata folder information for them to analize. They will advise you on a course of action.
Good luck,,
snake
Userlevel 7
Running at 0.6Gb here and that is after a re-install some 2 months ago.  Most of the files in the folder are relatively small, although there are a lot of them.  But there are a few ptretty pretty large ones to, ie, 100Mb - ish, so I am wondering if these need to be sent into Support for analysis.

Still monitoringthe situation and trying to decide if there is a pattern to this and what I note in terms of usage?
Userlevel 3
WHOA!  What a difference a un-install/re-install made.  Before uninstalling folder size was 958MB, AFTER new install, same folder was only 1.56MB!!  Was that a cleanup or what? 😉  Hope support can get this fixed to where it will be cleaned out in the cloud automatically....
Userlevel 7
The db#### files directly relate to monitored processes.  In your situation, you will want to contact support so they can check over what is marked Unknown on your computer and determine it so it will no longer be monitored.  It's also possible that you did something like, for example, install a Service Pack without turning off the AV protection as the Service Pack installer demands you do.

In either case, though these files will normally be cleaned up automatically, you will likely want to expedite the cleanup by uninstalling, rebooting, then installing without importing settings.  Afterwards, cleaning up your temp folders would be a good idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
My WRData folder is now over 3GB!!

Almost all of the bulk is in "dbxxxx.db" files.
The largest is 1.5GB
If it helps, ALL these dbxxxx.db files are "blue" in windows explorer (compressed?)
All the other files are "black"

This is on SecureAnywhere Antivirus but this topic looks active here so I posted here.

Is a re-install the only way to solve this issue?

vango44

The best thing for now is to do a clean reinstall! Uninstall reboot and reinstall and make sure you have a copy of your license key! Here is the link to download a copy of WSA http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe  If you find it getting big again then it would be best to contact the WSA support inbox and they will be happy to help you: Submit a Support Ticket

HTH,

TH

EDIT: And welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
vango44,,
Yes you can clean most of it out,,,,However I suggest you do not do it without contacting Webroot support,. they are very helpful and can instruct you in what you should do.
snake.
My WRData folder is now over 3GB!!

Almost all of the bulk is in "dbxxxx.db" files.
The largest is 1.5GB
If it helps, ALL these dbxxxx.db files are "blue" in windows explorer (compressed?)
All the other files are "black"

This is on SecureAnywhere Antivirus but this topic looks active here so I posted here.

Is a re-install the only way to solve this issue?

vango44

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
I agree support is at it's best now, keep up the great work Webroot! :D

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Webroot support logged on my system yesterday and fixed the wrdata folder problem. Now we will monitor it, and see if the fix holds. The Webroot support team does a great job and my compliments to them.
Snake
Userlevel 7
Hi Kit

OK, thanks for clarifying. I understand what you are saying and agree...certainly do not want to tread on either Joe's or TH's toes 😞.

Cheers

Balders
Userlevel 7
Balders - We Webroot folks are sticking to the Community here for the most part.  Though I have lurked at Wilders for months (I was previously the person handling all of the Beta testing tickets), we're trying to avoid spreading ourselves too thin.  Plus, think of the reaction there would have been at Wilders if some "silly Webroot person" invaded Joe and TH's stomping grounds. ;) 

Please do feel free to forward the information over there though, with the understanding that it's subject to change (for example, I haven't seen res####.db files in weeks).

Snake - While it is true that it's not "normal", it's not impossible and not abnormal.  (I'd hope I have some idea what I'm talking about, since prior to QA, I was an Escalation Engineer. ^.^ )  For example, an unknown toolbar DLL injected into a browser will cause the WRData folder to grow to several hundred MB in short order from normal browsing.  A brand new, unknown copy of a torrent client will have an even more dramatic growth effect.  Also noteworthy that "should be sent to the cloud and then deleted" is halfway accurate.  As long as the item is marked as Unknown, your computer will keep a local journal for rollback purposes.  It only gets cleaned up once the item in question is determined to be good, and that process is not instant.  We'd have to find out from dev what the precise rules are for cleanup and database compacting, however I do know that it can take up to a month.  In general, the correction involves determining what the cause is and addressing that cause (Determintaions on unknowns, Quarantine, sync bloat, etc).

Normally I'd just pull up your ticket, but this new community system doesn't allow me to see email addresses, so I have no good way to locate ticket or logs (assuming they exist).  As such I will simply need to hope it's addressed well. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Kit,,
I had a call from webroot a couple of days ago,,,,they want to take a look at mine to determine what is going on,,,they  told me it is NOT normal for the size of the folder to grow so large. It is supposed to be transfered to the cloud and then deleted from the pc system.  We shall see!
Thanks ,,
snake

Userlevel 7
Hi Kit, thanks for a very informative & helpful response. WIll you be able to do the same over at Wilders where the topic has also been debated or should one of us munchkins do so instead?

Cheers

Balders
Userlevel 7
I'm going to add an Official Voice here.

The WRData folder (Located under the appropriate System App Data location for the OS) contains the operational parameters of the software as well as all working sets.  For AV, it contains all quarantined files as well as all journalling information from unknown/monitored processes, configuration, logs, etc.  With WSAE and WSAC it also contains the Sync/Backup and Password components repsectively.

Quarantined data is obviously kept until deleted from Quarantine.  All Logs and Journalling data is kept for a time period and then automatically cleaned up.  This cleanup can be triggered by age and also by the unknown items being registered as Good.  Upgrade installs will never clean this up, since the Journalling data is critical to the ability to roll back infection actions in the case of an unknown being determined to be bad.

If you pkg directory is Big, that is the Extra Stuff (Password and Sync).  It should normally start at about 70-80 MB for a WSAC installation and is primarily affected by sync data.
If your dbl.db file is getting Very Big™️, that is quarantine.  Stop finding threats. ;)
If your dbp.db file is Really Big, much stuff is being monitored.  You can ask Support for assistance with cloud determinations specifically for your PC.  This data is cleaned up automatically as well.
Huge ace files mean that really-complicated threat actions were rolled back.

So the location of the size offenders gives the key to what caused them.  Have specific files that are Really Big?  Let me know.
Userlevel 7
Hi snake

No problem.  We must trust in Joe (PrevxHelp) & his team to resolve the issue.  They always have and I am sure that if there is a way for them to do so without compromising WRSA's effectiveness, etc., then they will. :D

Balders
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks Baldrick,,
I sure wish Webrood would figure out a way for the data folder to stop growing so large. They talk about the small size of the program, but this problem sort of makes that misleading. It appears to be a data base much like all the rest of the antivirus programs. Maybe they will get the message and figure out something different.
Thanks again,,,
snake

Userlevel 7
Uninstalled & then reinstalled WRSAE and that seems to have sorted out the issue as has been advised both here & at Wilders. :D

Small tip, if not already mentioned elsewhere; export settings BEFORE uninstall and then import them back AFTER reinstall.  Has no effect on wrdata folder size and saves you a lot of time trying to remember & returning the settings to as they were (and how you liked them). ;)

Balders
Userlevel 7
Have scanned my machine and can find no trace of a folder called "wrdata".  Is this normal?  Should I be concerned?  WRSAE is working perfectly...as far as I can see.

:S

EDIT:  FOUND IT...it was lurking but I couldn't see! :$
Hello,

We don’t recommend deleting this file as it can affect the usefulness of the software.  If you do need to clear this file, please uninstall and reinstall the software.

That being said, you can help reduce the size of WRData should it become large.  If you delete very old items from your quarantine this can help.  Use caution if you are going to delete from the quarantine however.  In the rare case of a false-positive detection, if the detection has already been deleted from the quarantine this can make the resolution of that issue difficult to fix.  Please do not delete items from your quarantine unless absolutely certain they are not necessary for program or system function.  If you suspect WRData is getting larger than it should we can also look at your logs to see if there are multiple unknown files we can white list or a technical issue we can investigate causing the size to increase.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks Corepc,,
I decided the same thing,,,have a great day!
snake

I think something like this would work

How about When a new version is released and either is auto installed or manually installed,

it checks and if the wrdata folder is present it should be wiped automatically.

Mine has grown to 181 mb and that is Just WRSA Antivirus , and that is since 1-11-2012..

Once it get around 200mb, then I usually uninstall and reinstall.. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
That is correct you can't delete anything in that folder the only way for now is to do a clean reinstall to clean it up, hopefully they will have a better solution in time!

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Ok ,,last post on this subject,,,

I asked support about uninstalling and reinstalling the software to get rid of the bloat,,,,This is the last answer I got from webroot tech.

Yes if you reintsall the software the folder gets replaced, but do not do anything to the actual folder unless we tell you to as you will break the Webroot software. Please reinstall and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team

Snake