Solved

wrdata folder

• 5 February 2012
  • 88 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Anyone know if the wrdata folder can be cleaned out or deleted? It grows to an enormous size over time.
icon

Best answer by Kit 15 March 2012, 01:31

View original

88 replies

Userlevel 7
Open WSA > System Tools > Reports > Clear Log.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi snake,

Sorry ProTruckDriver that will not decrease the info in that folder the only thing that you can do is uninstall WSA reboot and install again because if you just delete the files it could cause issues with WSA!

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 4
Hi Snake,

How big is the folder? You may want to consider opening a ticket to see if you have a lot of Undetermined files. Undetermined files are journaled by WSA to allow for rollback in the event they are found to be malicious. If you open a ticket, using Help and Support in WSA, your logs are autoloaded with your ticket and support can begin making determinations about any unknown software. Assuming that is the issue that is.  :-)

-Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Keith,,
The wrdata folder is 323MB at the moment ,,,it just keeps getting larger. It is located in c: documents and settings all users applications data,,,,I have watched it grow since installing webroot secureanywhere essentials.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi snake,

Sorry ProTruckDriver that will not decrease the info in that folder the only thing that you can do is uninstall WSA reboot and install again because if you just delete the files it could cause issues with WSA!

HTH,

TH
Misunderstood the question. I thought snake was talking about just clearing the logs of WSA. Sorry. :$
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not a problem buddy! :D I know as my WRData Folder is 89MB ATM and I don't have that many U related files in my scan log!

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks everybody,,
I submitted a support ticket, will see what webroot has to say about it.
snake
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi snake please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi TripleHelix,,
Will do!
snake
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Here is answer from Webroot technical support re: the wrdata folder.

"No please do not do anything to the WRData folder, this is our program main folder and if you tried to do anything like removing it it will erase the Webroot software from your computer. The only change we made was to fix the program to allow it to open and work correctly."

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team

As far as I am concerned, this is not a good answer. The cloud bases antivirus program was billed as having a very small footprint on the pc. This folder is getting larger than the old program that kept the virus definitions on the hard drive,,,Hope they come up with a better approch soon. I wonder just how large this thing is going to grow.

snake
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Again the best thing to do is Unistall WSA reboot and install again to clean up WRData Folder! Make sure you have a copy of your license before doing so!

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Yea , I figured that out,,,just seems there should be a better way than that..
Snake
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There's been a discussion about it here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=305319 just to let you know your not alone!

TH
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Ok ,,last post on this subject,,,

I asked support about uninstalling and reinstalling the software to get rid of the bloat,,,,This is the last answer I got from webroot tech.

Yes if you reintsall the software the folder gets replaced, but do not do anything to the actual folder unless we tell you to as you will break the Webroot software. Please reinstall and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team

Snake
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is correct you can't delete anything in that folder the only way for now is to do a clean reinstall to clean it up, hopefully they will have a better solution in time!

TH
I think something like this would work

How about When a new version is released and either is auto installed or manually installed,

it checks and if the wrdata folder is present it should be wiped automatically.

Mine has grown to 181 mb and that is Just WRSA Antivirus , and that is since 1-11-2012..

Once it get around 200mb, then I usually uninstall and reinstall.. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks Corepc,,
I decided the same thing,,,have a great day!
snake

Userlevel 3
Hello,

We don’t recommend deleting this file as it can affect the usefulness of the software.  If you do need to clear this file, please uninstall and reinstall the software.

That being said, you can help reduce the size of WRData should it become large.  If you delete very old items from your quarantine this can help.  Use caution if you are going to delete from the quarantine however.  In the rare case of a false-positive detection, if the detection has already been deleted from the quarantine this can make the resolution of that issue difficult to fix.  Please do not delete items from your quarantine unless absolutely certain they are not necessary for program or system function.  If you suspect WRData is getting larger than it should we can also look at your logs to see if there are multiple unknown files we can white list or a technical issue we can investigate causing the size to increase.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team
Userlevel 7
Have scanned my machine and can find no trace of a folder called "wrdata".  Is this normal?  Should I be concerned?  WRSAE is working perfectly...as far as I can see.

:S

EDIT:  FOUND IT...it was lurking but I couldn't see! :$
Userlevel 7
Uninstalled & then reinstalled WRSAE and that seems to have sorted out the issue as has been advised both here & at Wilders. :D

Small tip, if not already mentioned elsewhere; export settings BEFORE uninstall and then import them back AFTER reinstall.  Has no effect on wrdata folder size and saves you a lot of time trying to remember & returning the settings to as they were (and how you liked them). ;)

Balders
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks Baldrick,,
I sure wish Webrood would figure out a way for the data folder to stop growing so large. They talk about the small size of the program, but this problem sort of makes that misleading. It appears to be a data base much like all the rest of the antivirus programs. Maybe they will get the message and figure out something different.
Thanks again,,,
snake

Userlevel 7
Hi snake

No problem.  We must trust in Joe (PrevxHelp) & his team to resolve the issue.  They always have and I am sure that if there is a way for them to do so without compromising WRSA's effectiveness, etc., then they will. :D

Balders
Userlevel 7
I'm going to add an Official Voice here.

The WRData folder (Located under the appropriate System App Data location for the OS) contains the operational parameters of the software as well as all working sets.  For AV, it contains all quarantined files as well as all journalling information from unknown/monitored processes, configuration, logs, etc.  With WSAE and WSAC it also contains the Sync/Backup and Password components repsectively.

Quarantined data is obviously kept until deleted from Quarantine.  All Logs and Journalling data is kept for a time period and then automatically cleaned up.  This cleanup can be triggered by age and also by the unknown items being registered as Good.  Upgrade installs will never clean this up, since the Journalling data is critical to the ability to roll back infection actions in the case of an unknown being determined to be bad.

If you pkg directory is Big, that is the Extra Stuff (Password and Sync).  It should normally start at about 70-80 MB for a WSAC installation and is primarily affected by sync data.
If your dbl.db file is getting Very Big™, that is quarantine.  Stop finding threats. ;)
If your dbp.db file is Really Big, much stuff is being monitored.  You can ask Support for assistance with cloud determinations specifically for your PC.  This data is cleaned up automatically as well.
Huge ace files mean that really-complicated threat actions were rolled back.

So the location of the size offenders gives the key to what caused them.  Have specific files that are Really Big?  Let me know.
Userlevel 7
Hi Kit, thanks for a very informative & helpful response. WIll you be able to do the same over at Wilders where the topic has also been debated or should one of us munchkins do so instead?

Cheers

Balders
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Kit,,
I had a call from webroot a couple of days ago,,,,they want to take a look at mine to determine what is going on,,,they  told me it is NOT normal for the size of the folder to grow so large. It is supposed to be transfered to the cloud and then deleted from the pc system.  We shall see!
Thanks ,,
snake