Solved

WRkrn.sys causes blue screen failure

hi peeps. i have a problem with this file, that is located inside the folder drivers of system32.

this is what WHOCRASHED reported to me:

On Thu 05/04/2012 07:13:50 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:WindowsMinidump40512-21418-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wrkrn.sys (WRkrn+0x6076)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88000DCB076, 0xFFFFF8800AA9BA90, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:Windowssystem32driverswrkrn.sys
product: Webroot SecureAnywhere
company: Webroot
description: Webroot SecureAnywhere
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: wrkrn.sys (Webroot SecureAnywhere, Webroot).
Google query: wrkrn.sys Webroot SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

any clues on how to overcome this failure? 

thanks in advance

joe
icon

Best answer by MikeR 5 April 2012, 15:15

View original

67 replies

additionally, you may have to apply the quoted Webroot fix found here...

Userlevel 1
Hello. I know this post is old, but I just now joined this website because I have come across the same issue it appears. My brother-in-law bought a Dell Inspiron 660s back in 2012 from Best Buy, so it came with Webroot installed already (I do not have any product keys or codes for it). Came with Windows 8 but he has since upgraded to Win10. He contacted me to look at it for him because I work in IT. Apparently he did an uninstall (not sure how he did it) and the driver 'WRkrn.sys' seems to be leftover. After a Windows update the computer rebooted and now it's going to the dreaded blue screen of death. Before it gets to the blue screen, the Dell logo comes up and underneath it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" I don't even have the chance to hit F8 to try and get into Safe Mode. Then it goes to the blue screen. I will attempt to add pictures to help...

?

Then it goes to this blue screen...

?

Pressing Enter does nothing. Pressing ESC brings me to the BIOS, and pressing F8 brings me to this screen...

?

NONE of these options do anything. They all just bring me back to the original blue screen of death. So I can't even get into safe mode to try and delete this file. Only thing I can do is get into BIOS. He does not have a recovery disc, the only disc it came with is software & utilities disc (can't boot to that). Can somebody please assist me with this? Mainly trying to get into safe mode so I can remove this driver and not have to deal with Webroot anymore. Thanks in advance.
Hi zdub86,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Can I ask if you're using a wireless keyboard?

If so please try booting using a wired keyboard?

There have been reports like this with regard to Microsoft Wireless keyboards, Windows 10, and Webroot.

Webroot has issued a fix available here.

If you do not have a wireless keyboard then please submit a trouble ticket to Webroot support.

Hope this info helps,
BD

Userlevel 1
That fix you shared doesn't help me at all because I can't boot into Windows. I can't even get into safe mode, don't even have the option for safe mode.

I do use a wireless keyboard, I will try a wired keyboard but not sure how that will fix this problem...
@ wrote:
That fix you shared doesn't help me at all because I can't boot into Windows. I can't even get into safe mode, don't even have the option for safe mode.

I do use a wireless keyboard, I will try a wired keyboard but not sure how that will fix this problem...
The wireless keyboard IS the problem. Use the wired keyboard to apply the fix, but this is only necessary if continuing to use Webroot. Otherwise use the wired keyboard to navigate to C:WindowsSystem32Drivers to remove or rename WRkrn.sys as mentioned in the replies above. Then you can go back to using the wireless keyboard.
Userlevel 1
Ok thanks I will try the wired keyboard once I get home from work.

So after unplugging the USB dongle that controls the wireless keyboard/mouse (it's a combo) and plugging in a WIRED keyboard & mouse, I should NOT receive that blue screen?? It should boot properly into Windows? Or will I need to get into safe mode to remove or rename that file?
According to other users the wireless keyboard seems to be what's causing the BSOD. Using the wired keyboard should alieviate the issue. You should't need to go into safe mode if  your PC boots normally. If you're still unable to boot or get into a command prompt, then I suggest that you submit a trouble ticket and let support remove the file for you.

Thanks,
BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I use a Logitech Keyboard without issues on my other Laptop and as far as I know it's only Microsoft Keyboard's and Webroot is working on a solution as we speak.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to add to this thread anyone that has issues with the "WRkrn.sys causes blue screen failure" and Microsoft keyboards try this fix: https://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=2544&donelr=1

If the fix doesn't work for you then please contact support! Webroot Customer Service
I can't believe that after 4 years I still receive emails that convey me, there is a new reply in the thread that i created.
This suite was creating me issues (blue screen) everytime i was opening GNS3.
If i can only imagine that this crap suite could stop me to become a CCIE, i have to thank myself 4 years ago, i deleted it from my notebook
Userlevel 1
I'd like to share with everyone that I posted my same original reply to Dell's support website. They are telling me it's a bad hard drive and the windows kernel is physically damaged and needs to be replaced with a new hard drive with Win10 re-installed. I can't imagine this computer working just the other day and then Webroot physically breaking my hard drive?? That doesn't make much sense to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I can't believe that after 4 years I still receive emails that convey me, there is a new reply in the thread that i created.
This suite was creating me issues (blue screen) everytime i was opening GNS3.
If i can only imagine that this crap suite could stop me to become a CCIE, i have to thank myself 4 years ago, i deleted it from my notebook
Go back to the first post and Unsubscibe: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/WRkrn-sys-causes-blue-screen-failure/td-p/3428

?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I'd like to share with everyone that I posted my same original reply to Dell's support website. They are telling me it's a bad hard drive and the windows kernel is physically damaged and needs to be replaced with a new hard drive with Win10 re-installed. I can't imagine this computer working just the other day and then Webroot physically breaking my hard drive?? That doesn't make much sense to me.
No that doesn't make any sense. Dell doesn't like fixing OS software issues and just like replacing hardware and you would have to do a clean OS reinstall. 😠 But hey who am I to argue with dell?
Userlevel 1
Ok so using a wired keyboard and mouse still is not working. Automatically goes to the blue screen with the WRkrn.sys error. Unable to use any option in the startup settings so I can't get into safe mode. Please help!!

I can't submit a trouble ticket because I don't have a Webroot key code, I bought the PC with Webroot already installed from Best Buy.
Hi zdub86

Please call Webroot Support so they can assist you.

1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT

Thanks,
BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? it is advised to call Webroot support in this case. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Call 1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT
@ wrote:
@ it is advised to call Webroot support in this case. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Call 1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT
Thank you, TripleHelix.
Userlevel 1
Thank you very much BD for the information. I will load Hiren's onto a blank USB drive that I have. So once I load Hiren's, boot to the USB, and choose Windows XP even though that's not the current OS on the computer in question? This will allow me to navigate to the C: drive? Pretty neat. I have heard of Hiren's before but I've never personally used it. Seems simple enough. I am going to give this a try.

After renaming that file, reboot the PC, change the boot order to the hard drive and hope that it boots up, correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@zdub86 it is advised to call Webroot support in this case. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Call 1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT

We can't be held responsible if you do something wrong as Webroot has there own tools.
Userlevel 1
I choose "USB Burning" at the top of that Hiren's page correct?

The very first step is to format my USB drive. I download that USB Disk Storage Format file on Hiren's website, unzip it, but it won't let me open the .exe it says "permission denied. the administrator rights are required to run this tool."

I am logged into my PC as an administrator...
Userlevel 1
Nevermind, I got the file format program to open.
Userlevel 1
BD,
Need some more assistance. I successfully booted into mini Windows XP using Hiren's. However, it's not seeing the local hard drive (I'm testing on my PC before doing this on the affected PC). I'm only getting C: as the USB stick, B: as "RamDrive" and X: as "mini XP". I don't think Windows XP had SATA drivers loaded into it so I'm not sure if this is a viable option. Is anyone familiar with Linux? I see Hiren's also has Linux built into it, is there anything I can do in Linux to remove or rename the WRkrn.sys file??

Another solution would be to remove the affected HD, hook it up to a HD enclosure on a good PC, browse to the file and delete it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
BD,
Need some more assistance. I successfully booted into mini Windows XP using Hiren's. However, it's not seeing the local hard drive (I'm testing on my PC before doing this on the affected PC). I'm only getting C: as the USB stick, B: as "RamDrive" and X: as "mini XP". I don't think Windows XP had SATA drivers loaded into it so I'm not sure if this is a viable option. Is anyone familiar with Linux? I see Hiren's also has Linux built into it, is there anything I can do in Linux to remove or rename the WRkrn.sys file??

Another solution would be to remove the affected HD, hook it up to a HD enclosure on a good PC, browse to the file and delete it.
Please follow the instructions from  the support team!

@ it is advised to call Webroot support in this case. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Call 1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT

We can't be held responsible if you do something wrong as Webroot has there own tools.

I will quote from them:

"Hi Daniel,

I concur with Brad, customers who can address their own wireless keyboard BSOD by applying the fix offered in the noHold article is the best first step. If customers are unable to resolve the issue on their own for whatever reason should contact support so that our trained team can assist further.

Thanks,

Shai"
Userlevel 1
I'd like to ask BD about his suggestion first before I get Webroot tech support involved, since I will not be using this product anymore. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
He will not be repling to help by doing others things as I said my info comes directly from Support!