Solved

WRkrn.sys causes blue screen failure

hi peeps. i have a problem with this file, that is located inside the folder drivers of system32.

this is what WHOCRASHED reported to me:

On Thu 05/04/2012 07:13:50 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:WindowsMinidump40512-21418-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wrkrn.sys (WRkrn+0x6076)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88000DCB076, 0xFFFFF8800AA9BA90, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:Windowssystem32driverswrkrn.sys
product: Webroot SecureAnywhere
company: Webroot
description: Webroot SecureAnywhere
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: wrkrn.sys (Webroot SecureAnywhere, Webroot).
Google query: wrkrn.sys Webroot SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

any clues on how to overcome this failure? 

thanks in advance

joe
icon

Best answer by MikeR 5 April 2012, 15:15

View original

67 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm confused. He has already replied with a help suggestion, and now I am trying it. Therefore I would like to ask him what my next step would be. I'm not going to hold Webroot accountable for anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I'm confused. He has already replied with a help suggestion, and now I am trying it. Therefore I would like to ask him what my next step would be. I'm not going to hold Webroot accountable for anything.

@ continue to help this user as he said he is willing to do other things and doesn't heed my advice from support.

Thanks,

Daniel
Hi zdub86,

Sorry for the confusion. Please call Webroot support as TripleHelix has posted. I PM'd you to explain the situation.

Thanks,
BD
Userlevel 1
I just wanted to let everyone know my issue has been resolved using the suggestion and advice from BD. I booted into mini Windows XP using Hiren's, renamed the WRkrn.sys file, rebooted back into Win10 successfully with no blue screen, and then successfully uninstalled Webroot using an elevated command prompt. Success!!! Thanks BD!!!
I love how support trys to blame wireless keyboards for the issue and supplies no useful fix.  Webroot is crap software. Thanks BD following your advice. Maybe you should work as support here. 
@ wrote:
I love how support trys to blame wireless keyboards for the issue and supplies no useful fix.  Webroot is crap software. Thanks BD following your advice. Maybe you should work as support here. 
Actually, it's Microsoft that keeps breaking things. Webroot will be rectifying this problem in the next release due out very soon. You're certainly entitled to your opinion about Webroot, but I strongly disagree.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello,

There is a fix in place for Beta testers and I assume they will release it early next week to all. We beta testers are using version 9.0.13.44 at this time.

Thanks,

Daniel

Edit: @ is correct as MS keeps breaking things and Webroot is not the only affected software.
cksly, This is and has always  been an issue with Microsoft......not a Webroot problem. Webroot is working on a Microsoft fix so the customers who have Webroot remain pleased with their service. Aside from Microsoft having the issue that Webroot is fixing, have you had any security issues with Webroot?

If you venture on over to the Microsoft Help Forums you can see for yourself that others have had this same issue even with Norton and other Security Devices. Win 10 was rolled out with some issues and they leave it up to other companies to come up with a "fix" . By chance, are you using a wireless keyboard with a WiFi connection, that's been an issue with Win 10 and is substantiated by many of Win 10 users.

In the meantime and as mentioned by others here on the Forum, Webroot is working on a Win 10 fix so you should not experience any issues once they roll it out.
I am getting repeated "Blue Screens of Death" on my Dell Lattitude D630 laptop. Each time, my "Who Crashed" crash reporter said the following:

On Mon 12/26/2016 6:49:14 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:Windowsmemory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wrkrn.sys (WRkrn+0x2F82)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x34, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF850881AF)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:Windowssystem32driverswrkrn.sys
product: http://www.google.com/search?q=Webroot SecureAnywhere
company: Webroot
description: Webroot SecureAnywhere
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: wrkrn.sys (Webroot SecureAnywhere, Webroot).
Google query: Webroot IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Is there an update available for the wrkn.sys driver, and if so, from where do I download it?
Userlevel 7
Hi skeeterVT

Welcome to the Community Forums

This is usually due to a faulty installation or update so would you please do a uninstall/clean reinstall of Webroot?

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue, and if not then please Open a Support Ticket to get the Support Team to have a look at the issue for you. The service is free of charge for users with an active subscription.

Regards, Baldrick

Thanks,
Can you send me a copy of the WRkrn.sys file to (removed for security reasons)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello tgzelaine,

Wellcome to the Webroot Community,

This is usually due to a faulty installation or update so would you please do a uninstall/clean reinstall of Webroot?

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue, and if not then please Open a Support Ticket to get the Support Team to have a look at the issue for you. The service is free of charge for users with an active subscription.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Can you send me a copy of the WRkrn.sys file to (removed for security reasons)
It would be better to do a clean reinstall of WSA as Baldrick suggested above! And now as Sherry suggested. 😉
I've had this twice now, once on an office managers PC, and the second on an SBS 2011 server after installing updates.

The server was the most scary, as all it keeps saying is that there is a corrupt file, but doesn't tell you what.  I initially thought it was something to do with the updates I had installed, but thought I would try to rename file, just in case, and sure enouh booted straight up.
Userlevel 7
Hi Chronifathead

Welcome to th Community Forums.

Whilst the rename may well have appeared to 'work' I would still recommend an uninstall/clean reinstall...to make sure that the installation of WRSA is correct/fault free.

Regards, Maverick
Hi,

I need working copy if WRkrn.sys
Could you please email that to me?

Best,
nishi
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Just read the above info and do a clean reinstall!

• Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue, and if not then please Open a Support Ticket to get the Support Team to have a look at the issue for you.