Solved

WSA blocks Opera installer

Userlevel 3

Trying to download the Opera installer, the file is quarantined by WSA finding a Trojan.Downloader.Gen. Is this due to the included VPN?
icon

Best answer by DanP 25 January 2017, 22:41

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello

Latest Opera installers (for Windows)
Download | 42.0.2393.351 x86
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/42.0.2393.351/win/Opera_42.0.2393.351_Setup.exe
Download | 42.0.2393.351 x64
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/42.0.2393.351/win/Opera_42.0.2393.351_Setup_x64.exe

it`s fully safe

Userlevel 3
Hi,

Thank you very much for your support. Now it's better, all OK.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Hi Busem

And if I may just add to what Petr has posted...the same goes for all downloads, i.e., always look to download them either from the author's website or from a site that they recommend etc.

Do not use 3rd party sites as in the main they bundle 'additional' software with the main app and 'trick' you into downloading the whole lot so what you end up with is PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications) on your system...and many of these whilst not necessarily malware will at the very least be adware-related and so bombard you with popups, search & website redirects, etc.

What WSA was most likely doing when it was flagging the download as 'malware' was due to it identifying the presence of one or more PUA and alerting you to that.

So, to avoid PUAs, and WSA preventing downloads...always use the author's download links. :)

And to specifically answer the question you asked...No, this is not due to the included VPN!

Hope that this is of further assistance?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hi Baldrick,

I was not using 3rd party site to download Opera, it was from http://www.opera.com/de. Maybe will be good somebody to double check the setup file from this location.
Once again thank you very much for your support!

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Hi Busem

Have just downloaded the Operra setup from the site that you mentioned...no issues downloading it & ran a check with WSA...nothing detected. Scanned it with acouple of second opinion scanners...same result. SO it is a bit of a mystery as to why WSA would block it first time around. :S

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 3
Hi Baldrick,

I have sent you something from the log showwing this issue. Hope you can follow up. If necessary I'll open a ticket.

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Hi Busem

Got it! And have just replied with a recommendation that you open the support ticket given what you are seeing compared to that which I see.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Baldrick,

Thanks a lot, I'll do so. Keep you posted.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
This was corrected shortly after the OP in this thread. 

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Hi Dan

Thanks...lightening response from the FASTEST Threat Team on the Web. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hello,

Today I have sent my problem to support team and they replied in less than one hour. They have examined the logs from my system and found that the detected items were the result of a false positive. The security definitions were updated and I can confirm that now have no more false positive.
I'm impressed about the support from Webroot community and reaction of support team. Thank you!

Cheers