Solved

WSA Essentials info

• 1 April 2012
  • 3 replies

I'm thinking about switching to Essentials after using Kaspersky for a few years. I'm tired of the drag that KIS puts on my streaming rate, and bogs down almost any secure site I go to. When I looked at the download version of WSA, it shows 600k ..... and I was wondering if that is just the installer or the whole program? Also does it only work online? I don't leave my DSL enabled all the time, so can a scan be run offline? I'm also wondering about the "fast scans" that are advertised .... is that everything on the drive, or just the critical files? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 1 April 2012, 04:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
                     I'm thinking about switching to Essentials after using Kaspersky for a few years. I'm tired of the drag that KIS puts on my streaming rate, and bogs down almost any secure site I go to. When I looked at the download version of WSA, it shows 600k ..... and I was wondering if that is just the installer or the whole program? Also does it only work online? I don't leave my DSL enabled all the time, so can a scan be run offline? I'm also wondering about the "fast scans" that are advertised .... is that everything on the drive, or just the critical files? Thanks.
Hello krthom,

The client is around 644kb ATM and it installs a driver WRkrn.sys a few database files for offline protection along with Heuristics also it contains files if you are infected and be able to roll back during clean up and for Quarantine so I would say around 3 to 4 MB! And scans times are fast after the first install scan which is about 2 minutes every other scan I get now is about 20 to 30 seconds and it scans the directories were most malware hides you can do full scans on a drive by right clicking on a drive and Scan with Webroot but it's not really necessary so Yes I highly recommend WSA-E as it only uses 2 to 4MB of Ram you will be very impressed with it! Give the Trial a go and see for yourself http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-trials.html other users will highly recommend also and a Webroot staff will give you more information if need be! Also if you want to read more about The Only Full Cloud Anti-Malware meaning there is no definitions to download everyday there are all on Webroots servers http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?pid=12&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=861

HTH,

TH

*edit to update suppot link - admin
Userlevel 7
Hello krthom, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
Like TripleHelix said, you will be very impressed with WSA Essentials. I am! I run it on my 10 year old computer and it's Fast. No drag, no waiting for updates etc. If you run into any problems with Webroot, this is the forum to post it on. Fast answers by Webroot. Go for the Trial, it's FREE! 
Userlevel 5
One of the selling points behind the new range of Webroot products is the small installer size. Since most of the actions required to protect you take place "in the cloud", the engineers have been able to keep the program size down to a minimum. A subset of the large database in the cloud is stored on your computer for offline protection and this is updated regularly when you're online.