Solved

Y!Confidential

• 19 September 2016
  • 17 replies

Greetings, Just this morning I noticed this pesky thing called Y!Confidential. I am running Win 10 with all latest updates and am using latest Firefox. I'm not 100% sure if its dangerous , I'd just like to get rid of it. There are some options on removing it but I could use advice from the experts on how to go about getting rid of it...forever. I have no idea on where it came from but its annoying.

I did a system scan with Webroot and a quick scan with Windows Defender and its still there. Much obliged for the help.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 21 September 2016, 23:38

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ROBERT1725

Hope that you are well?

It's what we call a PUA or Potentially Unwanted Application...although some will apparently class it incorrectly as malware. It relates to ads & online shopping, but either way it is not good to have on your machine.

Here is what we normally advise in the case of PUAs;

The key to avoiding them is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUAs proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.

If that does not helps and you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

And if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Greetings Baldrick, much obliged for your reply. Truth is, I would like to open a Support Ticket to get rid of this. Sorry to burden you folks but I usually end up messing something up. Ill open the ticket. Thanks Brother Baldrick, I appreciate the advice.
Best2U,
Robert
Hmmmmm, this is somewhat odd. After downloading the free Malwarebytes version and running it, nothing was picked up by the scan and the Y!Confidential remained. I ran it again and now its gone. I must have picked it up by browsing Yahoo's various Sports Forums as it reared its ugly head this morning. A few others have mentioned the culpert may have also been something on the Yahoo Sports Forum. So....all is well at the moment and the free version is for another week? or two?... not really sure how long it's good for but it seems to have done its job.
Userlevel 7
Hi Robert

I strongly recommend that you open that Support Ticket and let the Support Team professionals take a good look at your system to make sure that it is clean.

Regards, Baldrick
I filled out a support ticket. Then I got an email from support showing the various times that they may contact me. I replied with some of the good times to call me and sent it off. Its only been a few hours since I sent off my recent communication to them but I'm  sure when they have a chance, they will get back to me.

Thanks again for youzzz guys and galllls help.
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome, Robert...keep us posted on developments.

Baldrick
I got off the phone a few minutes ago and after speaking with KaneV, I'm  impressed with the assistance I received. I cant say how pleased I was with his help. Not only did he take the time to alleviate the issue I was experiencing with  Y!Confidential, he also politely answered the other questions I had asked. Its not only comforting to speak with a technician that is easy to understand but also comforting to be able to trust someone who you are turning your computer over to.
Many thanks go out to all Webroot Technicians but also many thanks to all who participate on the Forums.
If your an ol'dog like me and you want to learn some new tricks ( not really tricks, but you know what I mean ) I say , place your trust in the hands of the good people at Webroot and let them be your teacher.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Well said! It is always good to hear such positive comments.................
Hi Robert,

Glad you got it all sorted out. Did Kane happen to say what type of threat Y!Confidential is, (trojan, PUA, other)?  I'm just curious because there is conflicting information on the Internet regarding Y!Confidential.

Thanks,

BD
I mentioned the various opinions posted by others on other sites. Kane said that most of those replies were from people who were not so involved in the Security Network as a Security Technician is. I see his point. To comment of the type of threat, it is a PUA . Funny thing is...even though the Y!Confidential is still present in the bottom right corner, it now has this in the same box. It didnt yesterday or this morning, but it does now....[ SPR CLUSTER: A ].

There are a few comments on the Microsoft Website that suggest on how to remove it...but for myself and others, they didnt work.
I posted a question on the Firefox Website and the replies referenced the same replies that were on Microsoft Website.

Since the addition of the [ SPR CLUSTER:A ]...Im kind of curious as if this will grow into something other than a PUA. Hmmmmmm
Cant get rid of Y!Confidential...can Firefox get rid of it?.

This is a question I asked over at Firefox and have gotten some replies. If anyone would like to see the answers I got, please feel free to chime in..Some say its horrible and it should be removed immediately. I did try the various options but to no avail.
Userlevel 7
Robert

Please Open a Support Ticket as recommended in an earlier post...the Support Team will take care of this for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you, I am on phone right now awaiting a Tech.
Userlevel 7
Sounds good...they should be able to deal with this for you as they are the best SUpport Team out there...and that is official given the awards they have won. :D

Baldrick
Hi Robert,

I'm a little confused. Didn't you already speak with Webroot support (Kane)?

Sorry if I missed something.

BD

Well , I'm  confused as well and its my own fault for being so. Prior to contacting Kane, I had posted questions on Microsoft Website Forum as well as the Firefox Help Forum. Answers started to trickle in as to what to do to get rid of it. I tried a few of the suggestions but nothing seemed to work. That's when I contacted Webroot directly and spoke with Kane.

A while later, and after speaking with Kane, I began to get replies that were other answers to my question. Some answers claimed that the Earth would suddenly change its directions if it wasn't removed while others claimed there were 72 Days in December. Those I ignored, but one reply from a Moderator of Firefox gave a pretty stern warning about it and suggested I ask Webroot again to investigate it. In his posting, he listed what it was and what it can do to the workings of a computer if its not permanently removed. Thats when I contacted Webroot again.

I'm the first to admit that I have no freeking idea about computers or their workings and if I did have a freeking idea, Id most likely freek the idea up. I'm a retired Cabinet Maker who spent 35 years in the trades. We work off hand drawings or a set of plans or a picture. I also considered a hand shake a form of contract. Signatures are helpful but a persons word is etched in stone.

I'm at fault for reading to much into what I read about that freeking Y!Confidential thing and should have listened to what Kane expressed but I didn't, I let my imagination get the better  of me. Let me close by saying, I coulda, woulda shouda listened to technicians at Webroot in the first place instead of doubting them.

All is well.
Userlevel 7
Good to hear, Robert...and better safe than sorry.