Solved

Creating Combined Reports

• 26 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi

Well done and thank you for creating Universal Reporter, looks great so far!

I am looking to create a customised report combining several reports into one for some of my sites, how easy is this to do and is there any kind of guide to help along the way?

As an example, I have a site that has Endpoint & DNS Protection so I have started by taking the combined report (Including SAT for now) and I want to add further DNS reports to it such as DNS Blocked Adult & DNS Allowed Streaming Media & Social Networking.

Is it a case of copying the data sheet tabs & Report tabs from those templates and adding it to the one I want to create and amending the Manifest file or do I also need to amend the PowerShell script?

I don’t want to send half a dozen separate reports each month.

Many thanks

Bill

icon

Best answer by coscooper 27 May 2020, 00:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

@BillSlaven  - because of the way the data pulls through the API, it was more efficient to build reports for different needs rather than building one large report builder. (We have large customers that for massive DNS reports their server may run for a few hours to pull the data.) Performance and all. We do have customers that will go in and modify the POSH running under neath and combine these reports, but it can get involved.

So, for this request, I suggest as you stated, copy/paste is your friend. I know it requires manual intervention. However, if the idea is to pull everything into one report, that’s the only option short of modifying the script code.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, thank you for your feedback! Below is a little info on templates and where to get help.

Out of interest when you said  “I want to add further DNS reports to it such as DNS Blocked Adult & DNS Allowed Streaming Media & Social Networking.”  How would you see this looking field wise for these sections?

For  topics on how to templates work see :  

https://community.webroot.com/template-customization-119

Generally the Powershell script populates sheets per query in the spreadsheet. Once the data is in the spreadsheet,  it’s all Excel functionality from there (pivot tables/ charts). There are exceptions where the Power shell script does the processing, like DNS allowed traffic … this can be huge amounts of data. However if you want to change the data sets in the sheets you will need to update the Powershell script.

There’s a high level diagram here that explains the structure of the powershell 

https://community.webroot.com/template-customization-119/template-powershell-script-structure-341957

So if you you’re not a scripter then easier to have multiple reports for now. The manifest file is just for naming it doesn’t impact the logic, you’ll need to change the "ReportName" and "ReportGeneratedNameAlias" at a minimum to make sure it doesn’t clash with the existing report templates.

Please note that as the tool matures we will be adding more support material.