Internet now locked out.

• 21 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I am on a Mac running 10.14.3 (Mojave) with Webroot Wifi Security 1.0.3.

I quit Wifi Security while it was connected. Now, my internet is completely blocked, and I cannot connect to anything on my Mac.

I looked through the firewall and found nothing unusual. I tried to launch wifi security and login again, but it cant login because all internet connections are blocked.

I finally had to quit everything and restart to get network back.

Is there something I can do other than restarting to get network back when this happens?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @MajorHavoc

It would be best to Submit a Support Ticket and ask them as I don't know anything to do with Mac's. I can ping @RMarchi to see if he can help you. Or our Community Mac experts @Ssherjj @ProTruckDriver

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Sorry @MajorHavoc about the problem with Webroot's WiFi Security on your Mac. I'm not running WiFi Security on my Mac. Maybe @pstonethompson can help with your problem.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
@MajorHavoc I am sorry that you have had issues with the Mac version of the WiFi Security application. Please can you outline the steps you took to quit Wifi Security whilst it was connected and I will ask our QA team to look at this for you, and pass any findings along to the Mac team to investigate.

I'm not sure if the Mac version has the kill switch functionality, if so, was that switched on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello all,

When I had issues connecting to the WiFi Security I have had to go into Preferences and go to Networking and tap the Wifi Security and manually connect. But today it connected without an issue. I am running El Capitan and I have not experienced this blocking or not being able to connect to the internet,

And there is a Kill Switch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi sshjerjj. Thanks for the reply. Yep I am aware of all that. I checked network settings and there was no WiFi security entry in the networks area, which surprised me. First thing I looked for. And yes, I looked inside the app, and both check boxes were unchecked. And I checked for Firewall rules.

Let me be more clear. I am tech guy, and I did all the obvious things to check for. I even looked to see if some proxy was added to my WiFi network. All LOOKED as it should. WiFi was connected, I had a local IP from NAT but ALL traffic was blocked. I even tried to login to WiFi Security and it said the network was unreachable.

I have seen this problem on Windows machines with other VPN providers, and usually it is a leftover firewall rule. But I did not find any such firewall rule here.

So if you would like to recreate, I was running WiFi Security without the kill switch, logged in and turned on WiFi Security. I then wanted to exit it, said Quit (without disconnecting first, I was dustracted), and the app seemed to hang and the network stopped. I tried Quit again and got Apple’s not responding popup. I waited about 5 minutes to see if it woukd untamgle itself, it did not, so i did a force quit through Apple’s non-responsivr app popup. After that, I was dead. I could not even ping locally. I tried turning wifi off and on, changing to a dfiffetent Wifi (ehich failed to get an IP), etc and nothing brought back my internet. I was also on this tablet, connected to the same Wifi, and it worked just fine, so network outside the Mac was not an issue.

A reboot solved it, but I am reporting it here as there may be some bug IF the process hangs or dies while connected.

Thanks. Hope this info help.
-Owen-
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Thanks @MajorHavoc for your detailed reproduction steps. I will get this to our QA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi sshjerjj. Thanks for the reply. Yep I am aware of all that. I checked network settings and there was no WiFi security entry in the networks area, which surprised me. First thing I looked for. And yes, I looked inside the app, and both check boxes were unchecked. And I checked for Firewall rules.

Let me be more clear. I am tech guy, and I did all the obvious things to check for. I even looked to see if some proxy was added to my WiFi network. All LOOKED as it should. WiFi was connected, I had a local IP from NAT but ALL traffic was blocked. I even tried to login to WiFi Security and it said the network was unreachable.

I have seen this problem on Windows machines with other VPN providers, and usually it is a leftover firewall rule. But I did not find any such firewall rule here.

So if you would like to recreate, I was running WiFi Security without the kill switch, logged in and turned on WiFi Security. I then wanted to exit it, said Quit (without disconnecting first, I was dustracted), and the app seemed to hang and the network stopped. I tried Quit again and got Apple’s not responding popup. I waited about 5 minutes to see if it woukd untamgle itself, it did not, so i did a force quit through Apple’s non-responsivr app popup. After that, I was dead. I could not even ping locally. I tried turning wifi off and on, changing to a dfiffetent Wifi (ehich failed to get an IP), etc and nothing brought back my internet. I was also on this tablet, connected to the same Wifi, and it worked just fine, so network outside the Mac was not an issue.

A reboot solved it, but I am reporting it here as there may be some bug IF the process hangs or dies while connected.

Thanks. Hope this info help.
-Owen-

Hi MajorHavoc,

You are most welcome!

ThoughI am not a Tech by any means and so I thank you for explaining thoroughly your issue.

I believe this happened to me awhile back where I tried to force a quit of the Wifi Security because it kept giving me a spinning circle trying to connect that would not stop spinning and my system froze up.. I was forced to shut down the Mac and restart. I did not report this because my system is very old and I could not figure out why my computer was freezing up when trying to quit the WiFi Security. My 2007 Mac freezes up occasionally.

I learned not to force a shut down of the Wifi Security. But as you were distracted which is easy to do because it happens to me alot. LOL I usually go into panic mode . Because I am not a tech and it would be troublesome to figure out what was blocking my Internet connection.

So again Thank you for clarifying all this so that it does not happen to other Mac Users.

All the best,
Sherry