Lost Internet on Laptop. Couldn't get it back until I uninstalled Webroot WiFi Security.

• 19 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I've been running WWS all week on my laptop at work. Yesterday afternoon I lost my Internet connection. I'm connected using an ethernet cable but I could not get Internet by any means, including WiFi. Troubleshooting stated that my PC couldn't connect to the DNS server. I reset our server at work and still nothing. I tried everything I know to get my Internet back, reset adapters, rebooted PC, reset server, reset router, reset firewall hardware. Nothing worked.
It wasn't until I uninstalled WWS that I was able to get my Internet back. I did not submit a ticket this time, but if it happens again I will. This seems like a lot of extra work just to get my Internet back on my laptop. I'm really hoping this was just a fluke and not an indicator of future issues.

I experienced a similar issue when testing the Beta, as well. At that time, it seemed that this app not only disrupted connections on the PC to which it's installed, but messed with my whole WiFi network. This time it has only affected my laptop. Other users are not having issues and I can connect to WiFi just fine with my phone. Like I said, hoping this was just a one-off.

Thought I'd post this here, in case anyone else has this issue. 😉

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
I've been running WWS all week on my laptop at work. Yesterday afternoon I lost my Internet connection. I'm connected using an ethernet cable but I could not get Internet by any means, including WiFi. Troubleshooting stated that my PC couldn't connect to the DNS server. I reset our server at work and still nothing. I tried everything I know to get my Internet back, reset adapters, rebooted PC, reset server, reset router, reset firewall hardware. Nothing worked.
It wasn't until I uninstalled WWS that I was able to get my Internet back. I did not submit a ticket this time, but if it happens again I will. This seems like a lot of extra work just to get my Internet back on my laptop. I'm really hoping this was just a fluke and not an indicator of future issues.

I experienced a similar issue when testing the Beta, as well. At that time, it seemed that this app not only disrupted connections on the PC to which it's installed, but messed with my whole WiFi network. This time it has only affected my laptop. Other users are not having issues and I can connect to WiFi just fine with my phone. Like I said, hoping this was just a one-off.

Thought I'd post this here, in case anyone else has this issue. ;)
This is the first I've heard of this particular issue. If anyone else is experiencing this I highly recommend creating a ticket with support so we can investigate.
@ wrote:This is the first I've heard of this particular issue. If anyone else is experiencing this I highly recommend creating a ticket with support so we can investigate.
Thanks, Lara. I was unsure what was causing the issue and only realised it was WWS after I had uninstalled it. One uninstalled I figured submitting a support ticket probably wouldn't due any good because I was under the impression that uninstalling also deletes logs, dumps, etc. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

If it happens again, I will most-certainly submit a ticket. 😉