Orbi Mesh Router and Webroot Wifi Security VPN?

• 3 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
Hello. I'm using an Orbi RBK 53 mesh router for my home WiFi. Multiple Windows PCs, iOS mobile devices, smart TV, and other IoT devices are attached by either ethernet or Wifi connection. Some questions.

1) ls Webroot Wifi Security VPN completely compatible with the Orbi Mesh system when the Webroot VPN app is installed on PCs and mobile devices attached to the Internet through the Orbi router?

2) Can Webroot WiFi Security VPN be installed on the router system to protect devices attached to the Internet through the Orbi mesh router, when the devices do not themselves have the Webroot VPN app installed on them?

3) Does Webroot WiFi Security VPN have the ability to designated or purchase a dedicated IPN address for a VPN server?

4) Does the Webroot WiFi VPN use OpenVPN?

Thanks or any help you can provide.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
1) I'm not sure if this is something we have specifically tested or if anyone in the community is using with WiFi Security - but I'm can't think why these would not be compatible. In general Webroot WiFi Security is a client application, not something that needs to be installed on the router or a network device. In theory if the client can connect to the internet, the VPN should work. In practice it is possible that the router blocks ports or protocols needed for the VPN to operate by default, but it would normally be possible to configure the device to allow the ports and/or protocols required. Our excellent Support team would be able to help you with that. If in doubt, you could purchase a free trial of the application to test it risk free.

For clarity - the VPN "dial-home" functionality of the Orbi router is entirely independent of that provided by Webroot WiFi Security.

2) Unfortunately this is not supported at present - Webroot WiFi Security is a client application and as such will need to be installed on each of your Android, Mac, iOS or Windows devices if you wish to protect them. The primary use case is when are outside the home and connected to an untrusted network (such as one in a coffee shop or hotel), although there is unlimited usage so you can and people do use it all the time at home if they require additional privacy.

3) I assume that you mean IP address. I don't believe it is possible but I will confirm this during working hours. Given the purpose is privacy as well as security, and a single static IP address can be tracked more easily than dynamic addresses (potentially in multiple countries), it isn't something I'd expect to be on our roadmap in the near future.

4) I don't believe it does under the hood - I am almost certain of it - but will confirm this for when I have had a chance to check during the working week.
Badge +3
Thanks for the helpful response. I’ll look forward to the rest after you get back to the office. And yes, I fat-fingered “IP address.” You got it right. Much appreciated.