Solved

Restricted Bandwith

• 19 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Ever since I got your garbage VPN, I cannot download anything (your App is restricting my bandwidth even after I uninstalled it )nor can I stream anything (because of the restricted bandwidth). How do I fix this and get rid of your garbage off my system (both Win10 and Android phone- same issues after webroot install) once and for all???????

icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 19 October 2021, 05:08

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @GJam Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.

I’m sorry you are having problems with WiFi Security. Please contact Webroot Support.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

HTH,

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

So one thing that needs to be understood about VPN is that your device is not “directly” talking to your intended page or stream. VPNs works by (typically) encrypting locally all your data, and then routing it through one (or more) VPN servers, the last of which then decrypts the data and redirects your network activity to the intended target, hiding your own IP and data from everyone in the middle. . The same thing happens in reverse for data back to you. All that can, and will slow down your maximum bandwidth.

Depending on the speed of your device, that encryption and decryption will also slow down your maximum throughput. A s a result, some speed loss will occur.  Depending. on the network load of that redirection server, your speed may and probably will drop from your usual non-VPN traffic as well. 

Sadly I have seldom received my own non-VPN bandwidth speeds while on any VPN, and I have tested out a dozen or more of the popular VPN providers. The Webroot solution was among the faster VPNs I tried, while others were all the way down to 40% of my non-VPN bandwidth . Such is the price of protecting your identity and data.