VPN keeps disconnecting

• 1 January 2019
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
A few years ago I discovered Webroot and am convinced that Webroot Secure Anywhere is the best cyber security package available anywhere.  Because I am a big Webroot fan, I was very excited when Webroot decided to offer a VPN.  I was part of the Beta program and posted at that time, among other things, that my connection was erratic and it kept disconnecting and reconnecting.  I was hoping that this would be resolved when Webroot released its final VPN product.  Over the past couple of months since the release the Webroot VPN it disconnects and reconnects much too frequently as to make the product unusable.  This occurs at all the different servers but the two in the US seem to be the worst.  At times I am disconnected from the internet and it will not re connect. The only way to get re connected is to quit the Webroot VPN.  This happens with the kill switch on or off, makes no difference.  I have no connection problems with Webroot VPN not running. 
I have a desktop computer hard wired to my router and two laptops all connected by wi fi to each other so the three computers can share files and printers.  I have two android phones.  All five devices are secured by Webroot Secure Anywhere.  The VPN on the android devices work flawlessly.  I only installed (need) the VPN on one of the laptops and that is the one that is giving me the disconnect issues. 
That laptop is a Dell model E6440, i7 processor, 16 gigs of ram, over 300 gigs of available hard drive space, running Windows 10 with all available updates. 
When the vpn beta program ended I uninstalled the beta version of the vpn using Windows uninstall and then ran Ccleaner that as I recall found and removed a couple of things the uninstall left behind.  I then installed the Webroot VPN product, version 1.0.3.7.  With the disconnect issues I uninstalled, ran Ccleaner and reinstalled the product several times with no resolution to my issues. 
Just to see what would happen I installed OpenVPN.  That product connects and performs properly with no disconnect issues.  I really do not want to continue using openVPN I want to use the Webroot product and am hoping for a resolution to the disconnect issues. 

14 replies

Userlevel 1
I recently purchased Webroot VPN based on my experience with the Webroot Secure Anywhere package.  I am having exactly the same problem.  I have put in a support ticket and followed the instructions and it is not helping.  I really feel like I wasted my money on this product.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
@
 jaso_dmia It is too soon for me to say that this is a solution, but after weeks of frustration and after makeing my post I had an idea.  I deleted the contents of my Windows Prefetch folder.  I have been connected to WiFi security all morning without a single disconnect.  Try it and post back.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@
 jaso_dmia It is too soon for me to say that this is a solution, but after weeks of frustration and after makeing my post I had an idea.  I deleted the contents of my Windows Prefetch folder.  I have been connected to WiFi security all morning without a single disconnect.  Try it and post back.

Thanks @ that might be a good idea if it works. Let me ping @ on this. He may want to go to the developers with your idea.;)
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Thank you @. I work as a Developer for the back end services that support the VPN application, rather than the client applications themselves, but I will refer this on to the relevant QA and development teams.

There are public holidays today both for our Colorado offices and those in the United Kingdom so I am not expecting an immediate response, but I will pass on any feedback as I receive it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
The team who maintain the Windows client had apparently already identified the issue and provided a fix which is due with the next release (I believe this is due very shortly).

Thank you very much for those who have have worked with us to identify the issue, and apologies for the undoubted inconvenience the problem will have caused.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I had my machine on all day yesterday with only 4 disconnects/reconnects and the reconnects happened quickly.  Definately better.  Glad to see Webroot is on top of this and looking forward to their fix.  Also a new password manager and new forum design coming soon.  GO WEBROOT!!!!!!
Userlevel 1
Thanks to those of you who responded so quickly.  Glad to hear this is on the radar.  I am not super-techy so I will wait for the update!
@
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I would like to send out several thousand kudos, attaboys and thank you's to the team who maintains the Windows client for Wifi Security. With the release of v1.0.5.1 all issues have been fixed. Now in addition to Webroot having the worlds best security with Secure Anywhere, Webroot has the best VPN with WiFi Security. Thank you to the Webroot team responsible.

I just purchased the VPN app. It has been a real pain in the you know what so far! App dis-connected after a few minutes, then today it would not load (after 10-12 minutes). No way to reach any “support”, links go nowhere. Going to have my bank cancel this subscription if this is the crap I have to deal with.

it keeps disconnecting and reconnects -does this about every 5-10 minutes. I think I wasted my money!

IS the VPN product at all usable?  It doesn’t connect at all….   I’m so frustrated with it.  What am I doing wrong?

Userlevel 7

@paula.showen 

Please submit a  Support Ticket  or  Contact Webroot Support  to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.

Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

HTH,

Dave.

I did submit a ticket.  Thank you.    I logged out of webroot wifi and logged back in.  It did connect.   I had “remember me” selected.  Is it that I need to log out when finished and log back in to use again?  Is that what I’m doing wrong?

It’s working!!!  I am logging in and logging out with each use.  I am guessing that it was throwing errors, because it must have been logged in at boot up and I was trying to log in manually.  After looking at the settings, I changed that and it’s working fine. now.