Solved

VPN question

• 24 October 2018
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
I understand the new VPN WiFi protection is available. Will it protect my desktop computer connected to my router via ethernet cable, not WiFi?
icon

Best answer by LLiddell 24 October 2018, 16:58

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
I understand the new VPN WiFi protection is available. Will it protect my desktop computer connected to my router via ethernet cable, not WiFi?
Yes it will! I know WiFi is in the title, however it works over WiFi and ethernet.
Userlevel 4
Thanks for the reply. I use Spectrum for my internet and cable TV. Are they going to have any issues with me using this new VPN service? I ask this because I use my own Wi-Fi router not theirs. And whenever I have a problem they seem to point to that. They just don't like it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I use Spectrum for my internet and cable TV. Are they going to have any issues with me using this new VPN service? I ask this because I use my own Wi-Fi router not theirs. And whenever I have a problem they seem to point to that. They just don't like it.
The VPN effectively re-routes your internet activity, so there shouldn't be any disruptions. If they believe it's tied to the VPN, you can easily troubleshoot by disabling it and testing from there.
Userlevel 4
 Sorry, one more question. I play a lot of PC games online. Sometimes I run as a local server. I've been seeing some comments about interruptions. Are interruptions a problem or will speed be a problem for this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
 Sorry, one more question. I play a lot of PC games online. Sometimes I run as a local server. I've been seeing some comments about interruptions. Are interruptions a problem or will speed be a problem for this?
All VPN products will return diminshed speeds, this is because your data is going through a much longer journey. This can vary based on how close you are to whichever server you're connecting to. So an example of this would be if I connected to Ukraine as opposed to Eastern USA. The speed will most likely be faster when connected to the USA location. Also keep in mind that you can turn off the VPN whenever you wish.
Userlevel 4
If I am gaming can I turn off the VPN while playing then turn it back on after?
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
If I am gaming can I turn off the VPN while playing then turn it back on after?
Yes!
Userlevel 4
Sold!!
Thank you.
Userlevel 4
OK, I bought it and I am using it on my PC now.
My download speed before VPN = 215mbps.
My download speed after VPN = 26mbps.
This is not a minor slowdown as your sales information states.
I am in Texas and have auto server selected and I selected US west.
Tell me this can be fixed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
OK, I bought it and I am using it on my PC now.
My download speed before VPN = 215mbps.
My download speed after VPN = 26mbps.
This is not a minor slowdown as your sales information states.
I am in Texas and have auto server selected and I selected US west.
Tell me this can be fixed?
Have a look here and try other servers: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-WiFi-Security-KB/How-to-Run-a-Speed-Test-with-WiFi-Security/ta-p/328394