Solved

Why is Webroot blocking my copier's ability to scan?

• 10 December 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge +3

Starting last Saturday, when I try to use my Canon printer to scan documents, it gives me an error message. There were no problems in printing or copying. I contacted to Canon’s support group and we found that if we took Webroot down for a moment, that I was able to scan. Can someone tell me what to do so that I don't have to take Webroot down every time that I want to scan something? 

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 11 December 2019, 22:22

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @bioya1 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Please do a clean reinstall of WSA and that should fix your issue.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello TH,

Your solution worked! It looks as if the Canon support guy had it half right. He said that taking Webroot out would fix the issue (it did), but he also said that bringing it back would cause the issue again (it didn’t).

Great support!

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello TH,

Your solution worked! It looks as if the Canon support guy had it half right. He said that taking Webroot out would fix the issue (it did), but he also said that bringing it back would cause the issue again (it didn’t).

Great support!

Bob

Great to hear and your very welcome. There is an issue in build v9.0.27.49 so the clean reinstall put you back to build v9.0.26.61 and when they have a new fixed version then you will get the new update.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I too had the scanning issue and discovered that when I shut down Webroot protection while attempting to install the Canon drivers, the printer was discoverable and install finished.  If Webroot was running, then the installer program could not find the printer. 

After installing the newest Canon drivers, scanning was still an issue (error 255,0,0).  Shut down Webroot again and scan was fine.  Discovered this thread and followed the recommendation of TripleHelix and it worked!  Currently back to WR version 9.0.26.61 and scanning is okay.  

Hello @jims145 great that you found this thread and my solution worked for you as well. :wink:

Cheers,

I too had the scanning issue and discovered that when I shut down Webroot protection while attempting to install the Canon drivers, the printer was discoverable and install finished.  If Webroot was running, then the installer program could not find the printer. 

After installing the newest Canon drivers, scanning was still an issue (error 255,0,0).  Shut down Webroot again and scan was fine.  Discovered this thread and followed the recommendation of TripleHelix and it worked!  Currently back to WR version 9.0.26.61 and scanning is okay.  

Update came through to me today.  Tested and Canon scan was okay!!

Agent changes in PC build 9.0.27.64
Added
  • Features released in the previous build 9.0.27.49
Fixed
  • Issues with network connectivity to devices like Canon printers and online games
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey @edgolo ,

I believe that there is a way to whitelist your printer in the Webroot console so that this doesn’t happen. I’m unsure of the exact whitelisting mechanism, but our Support team can definitely help you out with this! you can contact them here: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/home-contact

Let us know what your findings are! I’d like to know how they fix this, myself. Thanks!

-Keenan

Badge +3

Hey @edgolo ,

I believe that there is a way to whitelist your printer in the Webroot console so that this doesn’t happen. I’m unsure of the exact whitelisting mechanism, but our Support team can definitely help you out with this! you can contact them here: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/home-contact

Let us know what your findings are! I’d like to know how they fix this, myself. Thanks!

-Keenan

I contacted them and they sent back the instructions on how to proceed.

What needed to happen (in my case) was:

1. Uninstall Webroot
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Press the Start button and then type in the Cortana search bar %PROGRAMDATA% (just as it shows),
  4. When the folder comes up, locate the WRData folder (If it’s there) and rename it WRData1, (If the folder is not in there then you will have to reinstall Webroot)
  5. In Webroot, reinstall the Firewall and other items that you have Webroot protecting) (It’ll do an automatic scan.)

The steps listed are for Windows 10 (the instructions that I was sent included steps for uninstalling and reinstalling for Windows XP (and 7),  Windows 8, and Windows 10) I did a scan on my copier and it seems to have resolved the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@edgolo Glad you were able to get this resolved! Saving this to my solutions document :)

-Keenan

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have a Canon Imageclass MF249dw scanner/printer/fax and it’s been working great since 2017. Recently the scanning to the computer part of it has ceased to work. I get a 255,0,0 error plus I cannot download the latest driver from Canon to fix this. Spoke to Canon and  they say its a Webroot-WIndows 10 issue. This same problem has been reported by several people with the same combination of software as me. They told me that if I uninstall Webroot then the Canon issue go away but the moment I re-install Webroot the issue returns.

So Webroot, do you have a solution? Please respond.

Thanks!