WiFi Security Maybe Not Worth It...

• 17 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
..but, as is always the case, you have no way to know without trying it yourself. It's not worth it for my family.

We've been running the VPN software on our Android phones and three computers for a few weeks now. On one laptop computer, we simply uninstalled it. It caused too many directly attributable connection problems, whether because it was incompatible with the computer, our wifi, or our Internet provider is unknown . It's working okay on another laptop. That one laptop gives me hope. 😉

On my desktop it is simply causing more and more problems that are clearly latency-related. Latency within the computer and network latency. I've proved it to myself by running identical software with and without the VPN, and trying the same connections within the same short time frames with and without the VPN running.

On the cell phones the VPN seems to run in the background with no observed latency issues, though it does interfere with things like Google microphone, and frankly a number of other apps,

The bottom line is that I don't think Webroot's WiFi Security is quite ready for Primetime. I've spent the money now, but I would not recommend this product to a friend. The concept is so good, however, and I wish them the best for it.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Well, MFreburg-OH, many thanks for the interesting feedback & usage perspective...all worth knowing.

Where I believe that you can help more, and hopefully help make the 'good concept' successful is, if you have not already done so, sharing your findings, via a Support Ticket, with the Support Team, and by dint of that with the Development Team.

If you have already done so then many thanks, as I am sure that the feedback will be very useful.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
A good point of course. I've had a back and forth with the folks there on this topic perhaps 8-9 times, including a couple times on the phone. They are helpful and have a sincere desire to help at all times. Please don't think, fellow forum members, that my comments here were hastily presented without some thought. I will continue to root for Webroot's VPN to develop.

I also plan to leave it on my current machines, but I don't plan to run it automatically anymore. For instance I've removed it from my start-up file on my primary machine. It will be an optional bit of insurance if I think venturing into darker waters. I know insurance should be in place 24/7 to truly be useful, but I don't think WiFi Security is seamless enough at this point--for me. Others may find it works perfectly for them.
Userlevel 7
Hi MFreburg-OH

Many thanks for precising. Let us hope that you are correct and that the WiFi Security product goes from strength to strength in the very near future. 😀

Regards, Baldrick