Solved

Competitive Comparison

• 27 February 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi
I have a question about the competitive comparison graphs on your website in the SecureAnywhere Business - Endpoint Protection section. I'm talking about the first graph - Installation size. It says that WSA takes up over 60 MB of HDD. Are you sure that's correct? And also Kaspersky taking up to 2GB sounds pretty incredible. Can anyone verify that and explain this to me? Thanks a lot.
icon

Best answer by MikeR 27 February 2013, 18:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
This metric aims to measure a product’s total installation size - It is defined as the total disk space consumed by all new files added during a product's installation. The comparison is based off of PassMark Software's data analysis and you can read the full report here if you would like more detailed information. WSA is cloud based and updates automatically, which drastically reduces the amount of space that is physically used on your drive.
Userlevel 3
Hi
Thanks for the answer. Still something doesn't add up. On page 9 of the report it says that installation size of WSA is 3,92 MB. In the comparison i mentioned it says 61,02MB. So were are the remaining 57MB hidden? Or is it just a mistake? If yes you need to correct it because with 60MB installation size you're not the lightest AV software anymore 😉
Userlevel 7
The overall size of one of WSA's directories fluctuates based on use and what WSA needs to do.  When you initially install it, the client itself is under one megabyte in size.  One of the features is journaling and rollback.  When WSA journals a file, the journal increases proportionate to the size of the file being journaled, and the journal size will increase.  Once the file has been classified as either Good or Bad, there is no longer a need for the journaled activity, and the size is again reduced.  Different users may see different size values at different points as journaling and rollback occurs.  Typically, any increase is inconsequential in terms of size.  You'll note in the report, that Benchmark 2 represents "files added during installation."  The discrepency you're noting is that of the installed size vs. the operational size, which includes files being monitored.
Userlevel 3
Everything's clear now thanks a lot for the explanation:)