New Passmark report for 2014 - Webroot scores the highest

• 19 February 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
We just got the Passmark report for Business Endpoint Protection and we rocked it as usual.  We scored 97 with the next highest score coming in at 70.  Check out the full report attached.  We'll have the equivalent report coming out for our gamer and consumer versions soon.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Not overly supprising, but nice to see my choice to go w. Webroot validated again 😃
Userlevel 7
The speed of Webroot is just one of the reasons it works so well, even on older machines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Besides running ultra-fast scans (a few minutes at most), one of the advantages of processing the data in the cloud is that impact on system performance is extremely low. 
Excellent test results! Congrats!
Userlevel 4
""Disclosure
Webroot Software Inc. funded the production of this report. The list of products tested and the metrics includedin the report were selected by Webroot."" Why oh why? If webroot is the fastest it is unnecessary and now competition can say that only in the sponsored tests Webroot wins ..... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Why oh why? Ifwebrootis the fastestit is unnecessaryand now competition can saythat only in thesponsoredtests Webroot wins ..... :(
See this test:
Webroot was not sponsored)
AVLab: Test the performance of antivirus - Webroot is number one! 

Thank you
Best regard, Petr.

Userlevel 4
Thank You - I know this test very well :)

I am an employee of the Polish Webroot distributor and I know very well polish site - AVLab, among others, they attend at our technical training for partners 🙂 and every question about WR from AVLab is addressed to me. They provide a very nice job for us and WR market campaign and they posted a few helpful articles.

Maybe you are able to link me some more tests or reviews - recent ones? I know about PassMark, AVLab and MRG Effitas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Sebastian_ITPS wrote: Maybe you are able to link me some more tests or reviews - recent ones? I know about PassMark, AVLab and MRG Effitas.

I always watch the new AVLab tests, they do excellent work!
From the new:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/webroot-antivirus-review.html

Webroot and the Labs(PCMag review)
"
While Webroot does use signature-based detection for certain widespread malware, that's not its main line of defense. Rather, Webroot analyzes hundreds of program traits and behaviors to identify malware, even zero-day, never-before-seen malware. The 2014 edition adds a new technology dubbed Infrared for better protection against zero-days and advanced persistent threats. I can't say first-hand how that works, not having any APTs handy.
There's one little problem as far as testing goes. Given Webroot's reliance on behaviors, it will not necessarily detect a brand-new threat immediately. When it encounters an unknown program it starts journaling that program's actions. Later on, if the program doessomething nasty like try to send your credit card number to an IP address in South Sylvania, Webroot can both block the action and roll back everything else the program did.
That's all very well, but it means that in an independent lab test using static samples, Webroot is bound to do poorly. Even dynamic tests don't necessarily last long enough to let Webroot's journaling and rollback system go to work. If an unknown program hasn't done anything nasty, to Webroot it's still benign.
Both Symantec and Webroot believe that antivirus testing needs to change, in particular to eliminate static tests. There may be hope. A statement from Webroot reports "The AV-Testteam concluded that fully testing our products and measuring how we protect and prevent compromise will require significant changes to their existing tests. They have agreed to pursue the changes to the tests needed. In fact, they will implement these changes and test all AV products using the new tests." My contacts tell me they are also in discussions withAV-Comparatives.
Until such changes take place, there's just not enough information to comment on Webroot's lab test performance. The chart below summarizes recent lab results. To learn more about the labs and their various tests, see How We Interpret Antivirus Lab Tests."
Source

Userlevel 4
I am aware of the problem of testing cloud av software with detection but I asked rather about performance tests other than Passmark or AVLab.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
As far as I know in 2014 there was no test involving Webroot.
There is a test Testing AV-Test: Antivirus for Android. January 2014
http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1%5Breport_no%5D=140191

Recent results on av-test.org

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
This does not include the new Webroot browser extension which has not yet been released to business customers. The web surfing performance results will be different when that is released, which is something Webroot does not yet have a firm ETA for.

I'm not saying that anything is being hidden or the results will be different, it's just a note that this part of the product will be undergoing drastic change.

Also, can Webroot confirm that business customer default settings were used? I don't see the configuration of the products addressed in the document.