Performance issues and very high CPU usage during scan

• 17 November 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Recent versions of WRSA.exe are creating performance problems on my workstation during the daily scan, Sluggish / jumpy mouse, slow page loads, etc. WRSA.exe is consuming 90+ % CPU. This has just started within the last month. I see there's mention of a fix in the release notes for 8.0.4.27 but I am running that version and still seeing the issue. Short of moving the scan schedule to off hours, is there anything I can do?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Eldan,
I ask that you open a support ticket. Webroot support seems to be especially keen to solve any performance issues people run across. 
You can run this tool to gather diagnostic information and it will take you to the support page when complete.

http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe

Userlevel 1
The diagnostics package that progam generates is a considerable violation of privacy. I would consider submitting it if in fact Webroot cannot reproduce the issue, but since they have already reported fixing similar issues, I bet they can.

I have observed that when the scan severely affects performance, canceling the scan does not resolve the problem. WRSA continues to consume 100% CPU until it is closed. When restarted, WRSA operates normailly but does not inform Microsoft Action Center that it is active.
Userlevel 3
Are you running windows XP? If so then that may be part of your issue as the processors used then compared to now are far underpowered, because I've noticed webroot to be rather light on most symptoms, so I'm surprised its using that much
Userlevel 1
No, it's a Windows 7 machine with a Q9400 processor.